My "exit interview" I request HR to be there

Status
Not open for further replies.
You just won't let this go, will you?

Sh1t happens in the workplace. I suspect that most of us on this board have experienced injustice or discrimination at some stage in our careers. We all have our stories. I am not suggesting that it is right. I do think we need to learn from these experiences about how best to protect our own interests. Being informed is key.

Many posters have opined that taking the course of action you propose will not be productive in terms of improving your soon to be ex-employer. It may even backfire on some of the people you respect. Revenge may be sweet, but nasty. It may be more helpful to draft a letter to senior management, calmly pointing out areas for improvement and the background details. For example, you could suggest that employees be better informed about compassionate care leave. That is something actionable that Megacorp can do.

It is not healthy for you to obsess about past wrongs and harbour such resentment. For your own sake, please try to move on.

Expectations of HR at Megacorp

When I needed time to care for DW when she had cancer, my arrangements for Family Leave were made through my management. She may have gone through HR for the payroll paperwork, but HR had nothing to do with approval as far as I was concerned. I do believe our medical group verified DW's illness for my manager.
DW also happened to be an HR VP at her company, but was in the payroll and benefits area, not a generalist which you most likely interacted with. I just don't see what you expect to accomplish in your exit interview with HR. I think you expected something they may not be responsible for.

Their core mission is the acquisition of talent and supporting management in activities to retain talent. No more, no less.

One more and probably most important function is to keep employees from suing the company and if that happens to have done as much as possible to mitigate damages. So, the regular cycle of employee and more often and more extensive managerial training courses that pretty much all come down to telling you to not be an orifice and to treat others fairly. Then signing off that you took such training.

As a manager I saw a number of cases where HR essentially came down and picked the most expedient solution that limited liability and not the "fair" decision. So, cases where a discrimination claim was made as retaliation for hiring decisions and HR flogged the accused rather than push back. Plenty of other cases too.

Nothing good comes from dealing with HR unless you are a manager wanting to CYA.

Last edited:
You just won't let this go, will you?

Many posters have opined that taking the course of action you propose will not be productive in terms of improving your soon to be ex-employer. It may even backfire on some of the people you respect. Revenge may be sweet, but nasty. It may be more helpful to draft a letter to senior management, calmly pointing out areas for improvement and the background details. For example, you could suggest that employees be better informed about compassionate care leave. That is something actionable that Megacorp can do.

It is not healthy for you to obsess about past wrongs and harbour such resentment. For your own sake, please try to move on.

I think this is good advice Meadbh

In my mega gvot agency the personnel department hired, Human Resources handled compensation and benefits and
Labor Relations (affectionally called Labor Assassination) handled employee issues. My goal for my 25 year career was to stay as far away from LR as possible as nothing good EVER came from them regardless of being an hourly employee or a manager.

HR is there to serve the company interest , largely, compliance with laws, and performs much of the risk management function.

I left the last of 3 megacorps 17 years ago , and I suspect things have changed little.

The Personnel dept at the megacity I recently retired from has similar goals , with just slightly more transparency.

In my 15 years at mega-City , one supervisor was planning to take administrative action against me. His supervisor spoke to me off the record , and warned: " The city will go against you, even if you are not the problem". That manager " Fixed" the problem , I just had to drink the cool-aid for a few weeks . If I had used the official grievance procedure , I suspect the outcome would be bad for me.

Keep this in mind, HR is an unpleasant, thankless job , so I wouldn't be so hard on those folk . When conflicts arise, one or both sides of an issue will be unhappy with the outcome from HR.

Regardless of some corporate motto's like " People are our most important Assert " that stuff was just fluff . IMO most companies would be delighted to have an extremely small staff and robotic production.

Last edited:
This thread has quickly paralleled another, so they're being merged. A new thread on other member experiences is interesting but it should focus on other members.

Last edited:
To the OP: thank you for confiding your story. It is remarkable because it prompted such an astonishing degree of agreement from the respondents here. I echo their advice to let it go.

That your MC wounded you very deeply is evident since years later you are still suffering. Obviously you have the sympathy of everyone on this forum, quite likely because they have all been there. Please believe them when they tell you that, in the unlikely event that you could totally humiliate the evildoers during your exit interview, it will not be as satisfying as you hope. It will not change company policy. It will not end up benefitting the friends you leave behind. It probably will only leave you with a bitter aftertaste of the years you spent there.

Much better to say nothing & get it over with quickly. If you must mention your grievance at all, say that you forgive them for it. You will get it off your chest, and perhaps can move on to retirement where the unpleasant episode will fade into insignificance.

With the best wishes of all your forum friends, enjoy this new stage in your life!

Sometimes I find it better to forgive a person then to let them own my head. So far none of the folks who wronged me ever paid the rent.

Remember one guy who really screwed up my world at work. I didn't like him at all. Then he got cancer and died.

Letting it go is the healthiest thing for you to do. I know from experience that it can be difficult but you are only hurting yourself.

You are getting a lot of good advice. If your plan is to wait until the exit interview, you'd be well served by letting it go.

In my experience, even, if you are "critical to the success of the organization", as soon as you give your notice, your opinion no longer matters. The time to affect change is before you leave.

If it really is about the organization and those you leave behind then schedule a meeting with the President or VP and offer a solution. If your goal is to hammer HR and your former boss in your exit interview, then it is all about you and I can say with great certainty that you will be dismissed as a bitter ex-employee. Also, it is very unfair of you to put those left behind in a position where you want them to back you up. If you respect them you won't do that.

Sorry if this sounds harsh, but that's the way I see it.

Sent from my SM-T810 using Early Retirement Forum mobile app

Willers
I am a tough blue collar worker. Your advice you think might be harsh. But it is good advice. Thanks

Also, I am female by the way. When I started I was one of only a half dozen female operators in my job. A female a generation before me would not have an opportunity to work in my field. It was men only. When I first started I faced open misogyny. The other female in my class eventually quit , citing harassment. I stayed. I was not about to be bullied out of my (very lucrative) job. So I am tough. Harsh advice? Bring it on. I am listening.

Hahaha I need Dramamine!!!!! "Nobody wants your drama" good line. Read another thread if my "drama" exhausts you. Lots of good threads on this forum. You don't have to read mine!

Many people have given you the same advice. You obviously have no intention of following it. Go do what you want to do and I hope it works out for you. I suspect you'll regret it later. Say goodbye to your friends before the meeting.

In my organization many folks who retire send a final email and copy all other employees, including managers. Most of time these emails are about their long careers working with great people, etc. but once in a while we get one from someone who criticizes or has a "bone to pick" with the organization. If the tone of email is kept professional, obvious it comes from the heart, and truly sent to be helpful to the remaining employees emphasizing a need for organizational change--then it can have a positive impact. If the email is a rant and bashes certain people and departments-then it shows the true character of the disgruntled employee and everyone knows it. Either way, it gets talked about...

Thanks TGL 405. Good advice. I am listening. And the others that mock my "drama"...well I do not have the Dramamine that youtube suggests. I do however have a prescription for anti-anxiety pills. which I got during the height of my personal stress which was not alleviated with my request for accomodation.
What do I expect from the people that mock me? More mocking.
What advice am I asking from the others?
What is the best way to transition from anti-anxiety pills when I retire. Should I stop cold turkey? Anyone have experience getting off the meds? And enjoying a pharmaceutical free retirement?

Here is another thing to consider: if you are expecting any benefits when you leave--vacation pay, pension, retiree health, whatever--you might want to not antagonize the department that will likely be involved in handling them. You don't want your file to get "lost" or your benefits re-scrutinized or your termination status reclassified as payback for embarrassing them (why yes I do have an active imagination :))

Advice was requested and given. This thread has run it's course. Thank you for an interesting discussion.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom