My "exit interview" I request HR to be there

Status
Not open for further replies.
youbet
I would have if I knew about it. I was so distressed and overwhelmed..when I met with HR I thought they would have presented options for me (like the one you said)...I finally did get transferred to 12 hours...after over 2 months..and it was a really difficult time. The fact that HR did not suggest the option you talk about really upsets me. And it is why , before I leave, I will communicate to my production team how HR really failed me and our team.

Dash Man
Good advice. I wish I could take it. A family member was trying to get into the company...he was on the "list" for over a year. I did not want to hinder his effort..so I kept silent....he got the final rejection letter. Now I can speak my mind freely.

As several have mentioned you should put it behind you and move on. It sounds like this is more about yourself than them? Their company, their game and their rules.

This is good advice. This is advice I want to take. I just want to empty my locker and leave. I want to take this advice...but the thing is...if I do not take the opportunity to hold HR accountable..what happens to the young people that take my place. I want to let this go...90% of me wants to let this go...and retire in peace. But I can't the 10% of me needs to stand up the the HR bully, that humiliated me instead of helping me.

And all those people chastising me for it being "about me"...you have it so wrong. If it was just about me I would walk away and forgetaboutit....but the HR bully is still there.
And he needs to be made accountable.

This is good advice. This is advice I want to take. I just want to empty my locker and leave. I want to take this advice...but the thing is...if I do not take the opportunity to hold HR accountable..what happens to the young people that take my place. I want to let this go...90% of me wants to let this go...and retire in peace. But I can't the 10% of me needs to stand up the the HR bully, that humiliated me instead of helping me.

And all those people chastising me for it being "about me"...you have it so wrong. If it was just about me I would walk away and forgetaboutit....but the HR bully is still there.

Then run him over in the parking lot at the end of the day. Your meeting will change diddly-squat for the company and the people who work there.

youbet
I will communicate to my production team how HR really failed me and our team.

You're going to tell them that over 2 years ago HR did not grant you a sabbatical and that you had to wait 2 months for a shift transfer? Is that it?

Last edited:
Brewer
I will tell you of the outcome. I am a respected member of the shop floor team. I believe (and know) the operations team support me. I need to do this. After three decades of a great career..I cannot let the HR person get the "last word"...No..I will get the last word in front of my Production team. HR is an entity to support the production team...And they did not....in my situation.

clobber
glad to get the HR perspective from you.

Now - THAT made me laugh. I am so NOT HR.

The fact that my father was close to death should have allowed me accommodation. The aggrieved manager used it punitively against me. I have since educated myself with HRPA.

All I'm saying is that, irrespective of facts, when people even think you have wronged them they wont be on your side. Some will be vindictive. Its like the TV show Survivor where they vote people off the Island, but to win the game you need votes from those who are out. How do you do that?

Instead of being "very vocal" when things for your team went South, you needed to find a way to vote out the bad manager while keeping him on your side. What's done is done and you can't change that. BUT- can you find a way to do it now? Make your point, but keep people on your side.

Brewer
I will tell you of the outcome. I am a respected member of the shop floor team. I believe (and know) the operations team support me. I need to do this. After three decades of a great career..I cannot let the HR person get the "last word"...No..I will get the last word in front of my Production team. HR is an entity to support the production team...And they did not....in my situation.

And what if getting the last word causes a problem for the production team after you depart?

....but the HR bully is still there.

I'm sorry they (he) treated you the way he did. Unfortunately, when you retire, you're gone. He will not be held accountable. You've explained why you can't let it go even though many have expressed that it is the best thing to do. I guess if you want to hold him accountable, revoke your retirement papers and go after him. You can file papers with the EEOC, file a lawsuit or try to work out a resolution through HR.

I also understand how hard it is to watch a company or department go down hill and to watch new people that don't know what they're doing moving into leadership positions. It's rampant these days. I wish I had a better answer, but for me, I'm checking out and not looking back. I'm one who suggest you do the same, but I respect your desire to do something.

You are going to have a bitter first few months of retirement if you don't get this "personal" issue resolved IMO. And the remedy will not attempting to get the last word in with HR.

Last edited:
HR is an entity to support the production team...

You are mistaken: HR is there to keep the minions in line and keep the company from getting sued. That is it.

Fiddler....

Unless you plan to sue, then probably nothing is going to happen... even a complaint will probably go no where since you will be out of there and the complaint will be moot....

And have you thought that the bad HR person was doing what he was told:confused: It is not always the face that you see making the decisions that others have to carry out...

You seem bound and determined to go ahead with your plan... I will applaud you for that since without some people making waves nothing changes... and since you will no longer be there you really do not care...

Now - THAT made me laugh. I am so NOT HR.

All I'm saying is that, irrespective of facts, when people even think you have wronged them they wont be on your side. Some will be vindictive. Its like the TV show Survivor where they vote people off the Island, but to win the game you need votes from those who are out. How do you do that?

Instead of being "very vocal" when things for your team went South, you needed to find a way to vote out the bad manager while keeping him on your side. What's done is done and you can't change that. BUT- can you find a way to do it now? Make your point, but keep people on your side.

I get your point clobber...but I knew the incompetent manager would be gone...sooner of later..sooner maybe because of my vocal objections which he saw as insolence. And I suppose it was. But I have a "bigger picture" vision. I said what others where afraid to say. Do I regret it? NO.... NO I do not even when he extracted his pound of flesh from me when I needed accomodation with my family situation. Your advice on how to win on the island? He was voted OFF the island and my shop floor advocacy was part of the reason.

I want to let this go..I want to just leave quietly. The managers I have had since the crisis have been so good..so understanding.they are the type of managers that instill loyalty . I am so happy to be on the team.

Why HR so totally f****d my request for accommodation shows a problem, not with the production team..but with the "supposed" support entity of HR.

You're going to tell them that over 2 years ago HR did not grant you a sabbatical and that you had to wait 2 months for a shift transfer? Is that it?

And when they say "we're sorry to hear that your needs were not accommodated more promptly and thanks for that input" will that be sufficient? If not, what specific remedy will you request?

Do you have any documentation regarding all this? For example, a copy of the letter you wrote requesting the sabbatical or the shift transfer and HR's response? If not, you're just going to be yet another exit interview where the employee is venting about anything and everything that went wrong over the decades of employment.........

BTW, if your concerns are legit, not only do you need to have a specific remedy in mind, you also need to make the request at a meeting other than your exit interview. Wrong time and place. If you're serious, get your documentation together, request a meeting with your immediate management chain and follow the company's escalation process until you're satisfied. Leaving it to the exit interview is a sign that you're just looking for a safe opportunity to do some personal bitchin' .

Oh yeah...... I assume this is a non-union facility. right?

Last edited:
And what if getting the last word causes a problem for the production team after you depart?
Clobber
Since everyone agrees things are better since the incompetent manager left..there will be no negative repercussions...

And when they say "we're sorry to hear that your needs were not accommodated more promptly and thanks for that input" will that be sufficient? If not, what specific remedy will you request?

Do you have any documentation regarding all this? For example, a copy of the letter you wrote requesting the sabbatical or the shift transfer and HR's response? If not, you're just going to be yet another exit interview where the employee is venting about anything and everything that went wrong over the decades of employment.........

BTW, if your concerns are legit, not only do you need to have a specific remedy in mind, you also need to make the request at a meeting other than your exit interview. Wrong time and place. If you're serious, get your documentation together, request a meeting with your immediate management chain and follow the company's escalation process until you're satisfied. Leaving it to the exit interview is a sign that you're just looking for a safe opportunity to do some personal bitchin' .

Oh yeah...... I assume this is a non-union facility. right?

I of course have retained all emails and documents. Remedy? Nope I have no specific "remedy" in mind. I just want to have and exit interview and thank the production team that I have been so proud to part of for three decades. And I want the production team to know how I feel about HR and how HR support failed in my situation. That's all. My last day. My last say.

That's what I would do.

Let me flip this around. What is the upside of having the grand showdown on your exit day?

Nothing...maybe nothing...I don't know. I wish I could just take everyone's advice and leave quietly...it would be so easy ..for me and "HR"...Honestly I have come to the forum to listen to people...because 90 % of me wants to walk away...quietly into the sunset..it is the 10% of me I am struggling

90 % of me wants to walk away...quietly into the sunset..it is the 10% of me I am struggling with

Don't make too big a deal out of this. If you succumb to the little demon on your shoulder (the 10% you refer to) and bitch about the way HR handled your sabbatical leave and shift transfer requests, it most likely won't matter a lot to the folks at the meeting. You're not asking for a remedy or compensation. You're not suggesting a better procedure. You just want a moment to vent about a wrong you think was committed and they've likely been through that before.

By waiting until your exit interview to escalate this, by not asking for a remedy and by not suggesting specific, actionable improvements, you've signaled that's it's not all that big a deal.

There's always some small possibility your inputs, perhaps coupled with inputs from others, will influence the future somehow.

Last edited:
I used to have to put employees on probationary reviews and sometimes fire them as a part of my last job, so I worked a lot with disgruntled employees, legal and HR. I don't remember any disgruntled employee exit interview having any impact on me, any other manager or HR person. The one thing employees could do that really got upper management's attention was threaten to sue and actually have a chance at winning.

Were you denied a leave your were legally entitled to under Canadian law and the time frame is not outside the statute of limitations? If you really want to get your soon to be ex-company's attention, the best way might be with the help of an employment attorney or an official complaint to a government organization that enforces leave laws in Canada. Your ex-company would likely have to respond to either legal action or an official government inquiry.

But as other have said, just letting it go and moving on with your life is probably the best route. If you just vent in an exit interview over something from two years ago regarding a manager who has already been transferred, I don't see that as likely having anything actionable happen. Many of us here were treated like disposable work units at megacorps, fueling some of the desire for early retirement.

Last edited:
Clobber
Since everyone agrees things are better since the incompetent manager left..there will be no negative repercussions...

I think that is the part I don't get. Forcing that manager out of his position leading your team, while ultimately best for the team, did have repercussions for both you and probably the entire team (he denied your transfer). Who's to say that dredging this up again wont put your team on his radar again? Maybe he will be involved in all kinds of things in the future, that would affect your team. Maybe he starts denying their requests. People are strange.

Rather than expend time and effort on what will almost surely be a wasted and frustrating endeavor, move on with your life and trust karma to even the score. Life is short...

+1.

Grampa said "Nothing promises more, but delivers less than revenge."

Words to live by. But not always easy........

I am not going unprepared for the interview. In fact, I am so profoundly disappointed about how I was treated by HR, I have educated myself. I am going to this seminar. It is expensive, but when I look back..HR treated me so badly I wanted to quit (my husband, thank God, talked me out of it).
It has been over two years since this happened..Yet I am still dismayed and angry.
So I am going to this seminar...Yes it is expensive..but I will be SO prepared for my exit interview with HR and my production team members..who, in my opinion are not being given professional support from our HR organization https://www.hrpa.ca/pages/hrpa-meet...3-1f43-e611-9f7b-00155d320a0d&cm_medium=email

I am so glad your father recovered and that you are able to retire. You have been carrying enormous anger for more than two years over a two month delay in getting a shift change; you could spend the $ from the expensive seminar (on what? Being in an exit interview?) on some counseling about letting go.

And you want some members of your production team to sit in on the interview. Do you really think they will have your back when you are leaving but they have to stay and face their bosses? You are putting people you say you care about into a terrible position (and I can't imagine that they would be invited to sit in no matter what you think).

Everyone has felt wronged in their jobs at some point, but being able to move on and live your future life is priceless. You don't have to force this confrontation to be able to do that. It sounds like all you want is an apology for an old incident from HR in front of other people--but life will go on if you never get it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom