My Giblets are Missing!

TromboneAl

Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...
In preparing a chicken for roasting today, I discovered that there were no giblets (liver, heart, neck, etc.). I looked at the package, and indeed it said "some giblets may be missing."

I wonder why they do that? It makes the chicken cheaper for me and for most people, since I throw them out anyway. I'm sure the company can't get 79 cents a pound for necks and hearts. Maybe it goes in sausages?

Perhaps you got the one that a machine or someone forgot to stick the package of gold .

In preparing a chicken for roasting today, I discovered that there were no giblets (liver, heart, neck, etc.). I looked at the package, and indeed it said "some giblets may be missing."

I wonder why they do that? It makes the chicken cheaper for me and for most people, since I throw them out anyway. I'm sure the company can't get 79 cents a pound for necks and hearts. Maybe it goes in sausages?

In my store at least they get more than that. I think hearts and livers are usually $2.49 or so. Really, an incredibly good deal but often hard to find unless you have an ethnic store. I love the livers, and hearts are not bad either.

Ha

Chopped liver

In 1982-83 when I was expecting my son and living in Bayside, Queens I had tremendous cravings for chopped liver from the local kosher deli schmeared on a nice fresh sesame seed bagel from the bagel store. It was a must have a couple of times a week. Have grown less fond of organ meats due to commercial farm practices.

In 1982-83 when I was expecting my son and living in Bayside, Queens I had tremendous cravings for chopped liver from the local kosher deli schmeared on a nice fresh sesame seed bagel from the bagel store. It was a must have a couple of times a week. Have grown less fond of organ meats due to commercial farm practices.

Hey, I'm not pregnant and you got me hungry anyway!

True about the toxins I guess; I am just counting on dying from some other form of bad living before the chicken livers get me.

Ha

I'm sure the company can't get 79 cents a pound for necks and hearts. Maybe it goes in sausages?
Any legit Mexican grocery sells chicken livers for eating and necks (for soup). Not sure about hearts. I bet those parts are being sold. Livers for sure at more than $0.79...

So sorry to hear about your giblets, TAl.
But what was missing from the chicken? :cool:

Just kidding...I buy chickens whole and haven't seen those little plastic bags full of guts in a while either. I used to eat them myself after boiling for gravy/soup flavoring.
Maybe they are being pulverized and used for cat or dog food ?

There are some chicken joints that sell corn meal batter dipped fried chicken gizzards. Eat em with hot sauce. Cholesterol on a plate. I have eaten in some Brazilian places where you can get barbecued chicken hearts wrapped in bacon. Tasty. The livers you can get by the tub in the supermarket. There is a Italian rice dish that they are just great in. So maybe they are pulling the giblets to package and sell to these places. As far as the necks well.... I'm stumped there. Other than stock I do not see much of a use for them.

I have eaten in some Brazilian places where you can get barbecued chicken hearts wrapped in bacon. Tasty.

I have researched this and calculated an average with great care - it is a fact that no matter the food subject, this group will mention bacon within the first 12.3 posts. ;)

Congratulations, Cactusbabe, you beat the average! :LOL:

Back
Top Bottom