My husband just tested positive...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Cut her some slack. Anybody with a fever of 130+ is going to make some typos :LOL::LOL::greetings10:

CindyBlue: Is there a teaching/research hospital anywhere near you? It might help to get treatment from a cutting edge facility instead of waiting this out. A local family practice doctor may not offer the best advice in your situation. The sooner you can stop the virus, the more likely you will recover completely.

Re: higher blood sugar. I believe diabetes is one of the co-morbidity risk factors that have been identified. Might be a good time to cut carbs along with sweets and load up on protein to give your body the amino acids it needs to rebuild.

I'm so sorry you're having such a fever, but it is one of the ways our body fights infection, so it's doing what it needs to do. I understand Tylenol is the preferred pain/fever reducer to be used. Mt. Sinai Hospital site says some studies show ibuprophen may actually make the virus worse.

Praying for you, Cindy Blue!

That’s interesting! Can’t imagine the story there. Does the virus like higher blood sugar?

We were on low carb bone broth diet prior to covid -- it is all just so much easier on the body to not consume sugar (includes alchohol) ... but medically i can't answer your question (oops - just read Maidensong's post)

one of my biggest challenges has been insomnia (right when i need rest to combat pneumonia!) -- i have been taking melatonin and benadryl (not ideal as it dries me out)...my wife loves 'Rescue Remedy' for stress - it's from flower extracts of some kind. I used to roll my eyes when she would mention it, but I took some last night and i think it really helped me relax and fall asleep earlier than recent normal.

She buys it at Wholefoods, but I suspect places like walgreens might have it.

Those of you taking melatonin I've been reading a recommend dose for fighting COVID is 2 mg preferably time release formula.. most drugstore would have that.

one of my biggest challenges has been insomnia (right when i need rest to combat pneumonia!) -- i have been taking melatonin and benadryl (not ideal as it dries me out)...my wife loves 'Rescue Remedy' for stress - it's from flower extracts of some kind. I used to roll my eyes when she would mention it, but I took some last night and i think it really helped me relax and fall asleep earlier than recent normal.

She buys it at Wholefoods, but I suspect places like walgreens might have it.

I'm feeling better this morning than yesterday. I get up at 5 pretty much every day, and it's about 7:30, and now I'm just beginning to feel chills. Ugh! Temp 100.5. Oximeter good.

I can recommend "ZZZ-Quil" (or a generic equivalent) when you need to sleep - it's got the sleep inducing diphenhydramine the way Benadryl does, but not the rest of the stuff that makes me a bit wingy. My dentist suggested it when I was going through one of my (many!) bad tooth times. I use it only when I really need it so I don't get used to it and it loses it's punch. It sure came in handy the last couple of years of wo*k (smile!)

I'm feeling better this morning than yesterday. I get up at 5 pretty much every day, and it's about 7:30, and now I'm just beginning to feel chills. Ugh! Temp 100.5. Oximeter good.

I can recommend "ZZZ-Quil" (or a generic equivalent) when you need to sleep - it's got the sleep inducing diphenhydramine the way Benadryl does, but not the rest of the stuff that makes me a bit wingy. My dentist suggested it when I was going through one of my (many!) bad tooth times. I use it only when I really need it so I don't get used to it and it loses it's punch. It sure came in handy the last couple of years of wo*k (smile!)

Did you know the "Quills" contain high fructose corn syrup and a bunch of Tylenol among other things? I'd be very careful dosing with this during covid. You can buy all the parts of the Quills as stand alone and I think that would a lot better way to take them. and then you aren't drinking sugar...

Did you know the "Quills" contain high fructose corn syrup and a bunch of Tylenol among other things? I'd be very careful dosing with this during covid. You can buy all the parts of the Quills as stand alone and I think that would a lot better way to take them. and then you aren't drinking sugar...
Thanks! I'll start looking around...

hang in there Cindy

I am being careful on what I am taking for sleep due to the pneumonia. We have valium, that I know would help me sleep...but that is a no-no with pneumonia. I read some on Benadryl and it didn't seem to have breathing supression issues like something like valium. Melatonin simply kicks in your time clock that it's time to sleep (no respiratory supression).

I am visiting my PCP Monday and he might have ideas on the insomnia for me...I'll pass them on after my visit.

That’s interesting! Can’t imagine the story there. Does the virus like higher blood sugar?

A lot of long haul patients find cutting out sugar and carbs in general, along with following an antihistamine diet improves some symptoms. There seems to be some connection with mast cell activation, at least in some patients. Reducing inflammation is key.

hang in there Cindy

I am being careful on what I am taking for sleep due to the pneumonia. We have valium, that I know would help me sleep...but that is a no-no with pneumonia. I read some on Benadryl and it didn't seem to have breathing supression issues like something like valium. Melatonin simply kicks in your time clock that it's time to sleep (no respiratory supression).

I am visiting my PCP Monday and he might have ideas on the insomnia for me...I'll pass them on after my visit.

I'd sure appreciate it!

I'm so sorry that you ended up with the pneumonia. I hear it's really (understatement of the year) not fun! I hope you are taking really, really good care of yourself!!

hang in there Cindy

bobbyr - if you are more than a few weeks past onset. you might want to join one of the on-line long haul patient support groups. If you are interested, PM me and I will suggest a couple of the better ones.

bobbyr - if you are more than a few weeks past onset. you might want to join one of the on-line long haul patient support groups. If you are interested, PM me and I will suggest a couple of the better ones.

I am 5 weeks out...

I sent you pm, thank you

You sound like us (grin!) Always looking for something to do!

I can't tell you how many people here said the same thing, us included - that they were worried about having nothing to do when they retired. I asked a lot of questions here on the forum and read a lot of posts from people who were worried about it before they retired, and wrote about it after they retired - and I can't remember anyone saying anything except how they can't believe they ever had time to work, they have so much to do now in retirement (smile!) And we found out that we feel the same way!

For us, the first year took care of "nothing to do" as we dealt with my dad and his wife and their Alzheimers and illnesses getting suddenly worse fast. Thank goodness we weren't working - the timing was so perfect! Dealing with her decline and death, his Alzheimer's and poor health and eventual placement into a nursing home, and then cleaning out their "hoarder's house" kept us very busy for over seven months. Then we put the property back together from long neglect - cutting trees, splitting wood, filling rock into eroded areas, mowing and mowing and mowing (smile!)

So really, the first "retirement period" for us has started about three months ago, when we "have nothing to do." And, of course, the pandemic has quashed any travel plans (smile!)

We both do better with a "schedule," with something to look forward to doing, so before we both got positive covid tests, we built a routine into our day. Every day, we take a sweet to my dad in his nursing home, about 20 miles away, then take a walk in a park or a neighborhood (we love looking at what people have done to their yards and getting ideas (smile!)). We volunteer one day a week at the local food bank. Hubby swims twice to three times a week. I finally have time to try all the crafts I've always wanted to. We do some work on the property almost every day, too (one of the best parts about retirement is, in most cases (except for emergencies, such as a leaky pipe) if we don't get it done today, we can do it tomorrow! We don't HAVE to get it done today because we have only today to get it done - yay!)

At the advice of so many people here, we didn't over schedule.

We are amazed and so grateful that we have time in the morning to just sit and have coffee and read the paper without having to rush (he used to leave the house at about 6AM every day (except for swimming days, then at 5:30) me at about 6:30.) And have time in the afternoon to sit outside all bundled up against the fall coolness for a couple of hours and watch the squirrels and the birds and the deer and the falling leaves, and read our books - such a luxury! And since we can't hang out with friends (except on Zoom!) we play cards or Parcheesi many afternoons (he is beating the crap out of me in both, but I will have a comeback soon (grin!))

Time to do all these things (from working on the property to reading, etc.) - to be able to make the CHOICE to do these things - is such an unbelievable luxury after a lifetime of fitting them in where we could. And make no mistake, we loved our jobs - it never felt like work (he taught high school for 51 years, I did for 41, and we both coached two seasons a year most years.) But we are cherishing every moment to CHOOSE what do to with our time (smile!)

I am looking forward to reading your posts a year from now (smile!)

Hi Cindy,

Thank you!, Thank you!, Thank you! This is really encouraging.

We are similar to you and your hubby. Need things to do. Love the idea of having a schedule with things to look forward to.

Similar to your experience, right now DW's Mom is in cognitive decline. DW is working hard with her sister to get them into a retirement place. This is made harder because they are 2 1/2 hours away. The retirement place they have selected will reduce the drive for us to 1 1/2 hours.

With the cognitive decline, MIL seems much happier when her daughters are with her. So both are trying to spend more time with them. Plus having a daughter with them reduces the bickering that is a constant part of their relationship.....

Getting the in-laws moved will also hopefully make it easier to get FIL to reduce his driving. It's getting more and more scary.....

I too am an early morning person. (A little embarrased about how early..) Very much enjoy coffee and the news and this forum early in the AM. Sitting by the fire (wood stove) right now doing exactly that.

Hope you feel better each day now.

I also learned during the course of my battle that eating anything with sugar in it dragged me down big time (pulse went up, o2 went down).

The SARS-CoV-2 virus may become a sustained threat to global health. This review has described many of the molecular mechanisms through which an exogenous ketone-based metabolic therapy together with a moderately high-fat diet may stimulate host cell metabolism and defenses as a possible treatment to blunt the cytokine storm associated with severe SARS-CoV-2 infection. A clinical trial testing this therapy on patients with SARS-CoV-2 is warranted. In addition, further mouse IAV infection studies will aid in the determination of permissive dietary conditions under which exogenous ketone supplementation enhances immune function to facilitate viral clearance and decrease mortality.

Source: https://www.hindawi.com/journals/omcl/2020/6401341/

I also remember an article from this spring about two regions in China having very different COVID outcome. They also had very different diets where the one doing better ate much less carbohydrates. But I cannot find the link - sorry. Anyone else remember this?

I also remember an article from this spring about two regions in China having very different COVID outcome. They also had very different diets where the one doing better ate much less carbohydrates. But I cannot find the link - sorry. Anyone else remember this?

I didn't see that one, but this piece from the British Medical Journal is interesting.
COVID-19 and metabolic syndrome: could diet be the key?
Restriction of dietary carbohydrates is a simple and safe intervention which results in rapid improvements in glycaemic control and can be implemented alongside usual care in a medical or domestic setting. While the pathophysiology of COVID-19 is multifactorial, insulin resistance is among the strongest determinants of impaired metabolic function. Since 88% of the US population is metabolically unhealthy, the extent to which it contributes to the severity of COVID-19 infection is likely to be significant.

The SARS-CoV-2 virus may become a sustained threat to global health. This review has described many of the molecular mechanisms through which an exogenous ketone-based metabolic therapy together with a moderately high-fat diet may stimulate host cell metabolism and defenses as a possible treatment to blunt the cytokine storm associated with severe SARS-CoV-2 infection. A clinical trial testing this therapy on patients with SARS-CoV-2 is warranted. In addition, further mouse IAV infection studies will aid in the determination of permissive dietary conditions under which exogenous ketone supplementation enhances immune function to facilitate viral clearance and decrease mortality.
Source: https://www.hindawi.com/journals/omcl/2020/6401341/

Thanks much for that!

I have been on a low-carb diet for 1.5 years and still make plenty of ketones now. I have been hoping that it is protective.
I didn't see that one, but this piece from the British Medical Journal is interesting.
COVID-19 and metabolic syndrome: could diet be the key?
thanks also.

Last edited:
Interesting discussion. It got me thinking. So many people don't feel like eating when sick. This induces ketosis. A natural body defense built into our DNA through the eons when we've faced these kinds of threats before?

Interesting discussion. It got me thinking. So many people don't feel like eating when sick. This induces ketosis. A natural body defense built into our DNA through the eons when we've faced these kinds of threats before?

Knee jerk response: Back in 'the day' when mankind depended upon hunting to survive - if you were sick you couldn't hunt, so your body temporarily protects you by putting hunger on 'hold'?

In the same boat

With husband having same mild symptoms since Thursday with fever disappearing after first day. He’s now just tired and sniffly and enjoying being waited on. Hope he continues to feel better. He got the not rapid test, so really still waiting for results.

With husband having same mild symptoms since Thursday with fever disappearing after first day. He’s now just tired and sniffly and enjoying being waited on. Hope he continues to feel better. He got the not rapid test, so really still waiting for results.

My DH had fever on only one day - might have been on earlier days but he resisted taking it and then wasn't good about holding the thermometer in the right place in his mouth - I do love the boy, but he can be stubborn! Once I got the no-touch thermometer, he had no defense (grin!) but also no fever. I'd recommend one of those if you don't have one - it's been worth it. Also a $26 oximeter has kept me sane after talking with the nice people on this forum.

I had just cold symptoms for the first 7 days or so, then the fever and chills hit - keep an eye on your sweetie if the test comes in positive.

Keeping my fingers crossed for him - and you!

Hi Cindy,

Thank you!, Thank you!, Thank you! This is really encouraging.

We are similar to you and your hubby. Need things to do. Love the idea of having a schedule with things to look forward to.

Similar to your experience, right now DW's Mom is in cognitive decline. DW is working hard with her sister to get them into a retirement place. This is made harder because they are 2 1/2 hours away. The retirement place they have selected will reduce the drive for us to 1 1/2 hours.

With the cognitive decline, MIL seems much happier when her daughters are with her. So both are trying to spend more time with them. Plus having a daughter with them reduces the bickering that is a constant part of their relationship.....

Getting the in-laws moved will also hopefully make it easier to get FIL to reduce his driving. It's getting more and more scary.....

I too am an early morning person. (A little embarrased about how early..) Very much enjoy coffee and the news and this forum early in the AM. Sitting by the fire (wood stove) right now doing exactly that.

Hope you feel better each day now.

Oh, my... I am so empathetic with your dealing with your folks cognitive decline journey...it is so hard. We went through it in crisis mode during the last half of 2019 and the first part of 2020. At least we were all in full agreement...I can't imagine dealing with it all if we weren't. You and your wife are in my prayers now.

The driving issue with my dad was so hard...taking him to the doctor for the test that proved he had Alzheimer's, to the DMV to get interviewed and listen to him answer such simple questions incorrectly...telling a man that he is no longer allowed to drive...I cried for days afterward.

I hope you have power of attorney. We were almost too late to get it and without it he would have been in real trouble. Many companies wouldn't deal with us without it - and it was tough even with it.

If either will need MediCaid for payment of nursing home facilities, you might want to start that process now - it's insane and takes a lot of paperwork. Same with Veteran's Home benefits, if either qualifies.

May have turned the corner to better...

This morning is the first morning in a few days that I have no fever and feel reasonably good - back to "just" cold symptoms. Other than that, I don't feel "sick."

There is hope for the weary (grin!)

And just before I got really sick, we got the wood holders all stocked up by the house from the big woodpile, and the gutters cleaned. Before that, we'd cleared all the ditches that needed clearing and supported (we hope!) the areas that we'd found were eroding as we put the property back together (this involved many, many pickup loads of rock and broken up concrete pieces that we found on NextDoor.) And yesterday, it started to rain (finally) and we were ready! Come on, rain! (grin!) It feels good to sit here all bundled up with a cup of coffee talking to you nice folks while listening to the rain on the roof, knowing we are ready for it.

I just don't know if you all realize how important you are to me - and to each other. Knowing you are not alone, especially in the middle of this pandemic and political mess we've all been in lately, is a powerfully positive thing. Please know that your responses are a lifeline and are really, truly helping. You are a gift.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom