My Pro's and Con's of real estate investing

I do wonder why people stop if the money is so good and seems to compound so fast. Especially the people who claim it is no work on their part, everything handled by some agency or workers.

Why stop at 10, 50, 100 houses? If each house is profitable and requires no work, why are there not mega millionaires all over the place with 2,000 or more rental houses? Why do they all switch to writing books or doing infomercials/seminars?

I completely understand your skepticism. It has not been an easy road for us but it was totally worth it because our net worth is 3x more than it would have been. It's had its period of pain and frustration and it's constant work because we choose to do the maintenance and management ourselves. As a result we have a strong net cash flow that exceeds my w2 income, we are building equity and keeping taxes low, at least for now. While it hasn't been smooth sailing as Senator, it has been totally worth it because it's brought us financial security that I never imagined could ever happen to us. I never got very far in the corporate world earning a low six figure income so real estate is key to our success.

Ok to answer your question directly. I want to be involved in real estate in some form or fashion but I cannot continue at this rate. It's tiring and frustrating at times. My rentals are primarily lower income and a whole different ball of wax as you can imagine. I do not want my children dealing with this so I plan to sell it all in the next 10 years. Some of the areas are becoming gentrified so those I might keep. All in all, I would do it over and over again but low income rental takes a special kind of person. Landlords with higher caliber rentals that are managed by a property manager can certainly keep adding to their portfolio. However, it may not make sense to do that if the value isn't there. After all you're in this to make money. It's not easy to find profitable deals because landlords tend to hold on to the good ones. In a nutshell, it depends on what's available for purchase. The good ones go fast.

Last edited:
You could have taken $360k invested in 2010 and purchased $1.2M of SPY on 30% margin. The dividends would have covered the margin interest and the $1.2M would be worth about $3M today.

Landlords who don't fully own their rentals are on margin, they just won't know it until we get another housing crash.

Investing in a security on margin is considerably more risky than buying real estate with a mortgage. You really can't compare the two actually. People that bought on margin in 2007 or so were likely ruined financially. People that bought rental properties, with mortgages, in 2007 might have lost their homes at worst but in many cases the rents just kept coming in and the downturn in value meant nothing. In some cases rents went up during that time. Apples and kumquats I would say.

I do wonder why people stop if the money is so good and seems to compound so fast. Especially the people who claim it is no work on their part, everything handled by some agency or workers.

Why stop at 10, 50, 100 houses? If each house is profitable and requires no work, why are there not mega millionaires all over the place with 2,000 or more rental houses? Why do they all switch to writing books or doing infomercials/seminars?

In the case of me and my 5 properties my needs are being met and im able to sustain the same or better lifestyle I had when working, I'm making more now than I ever did punching a clock and I'm happy with that, I just want to be rich not filthy rich

Also taking care not consideration that my buying window has closed and my mom is heavy in rental RE that I should inherit some day

Last edited:
Seems to me many more early retirement people have stocks and bonds as primary income sources than rental real estate. We have both as well as owner carry contracts and hard money loans. They all are making money right now, but we enjoy the sense of control we have over the income the rentals bring in. I'm willing to let the rentals go now, because we have enough, but will miss the year over year, decade over decade income they have provided. Rent is > dividends and stock appreciation is purely based on whim - I don't believe the justifications the talking heads come up with to explain stock rise or fall.

You almost had me until you mentioned that stock market appreciation is based on whim. Now I am shoeing you back onto the porch and out of the yard with your flyers in hand.

Another con to real estate investing is having every forum discussion on the topic descend into snarky critiques. :D

I'd love to hear more details like what part of country, is this an apartment or SFHs, when did you buy, etc? Yeah earning $150k on $360k I'm sounds awesome!

I had two duplexes in 2000. In 2008, 2009, 2010, 2011, and 2012 I bought a 4-plex each year. In 2015, I bought a SFH. I am selling the SFH after my rehab, and likely another duplex to buy a Florida property.

Since then, I have pummeled my mortgages to get rid of them. I have been paying $6K extra per month, and one only has $16K left, which will be paid off by mid-October. If I still had all the mortgages, I would not be making close to what I am.

All the details are on my blog.

There are plenty of people like that. Generally they move up to larger properties, and larger apartments.

Trump is one investor. Bershire Hathaway is another. Dave Lindahl. One needs to take a lot of risk.

I always figured I would never be a billionaire as long before I had a billion, I would have enough millions and check out of the rat race. I could have replicated what I did, hire people (PMs, carpenters, etc.), and continued my progress.

So Trump started with $200k?

No, but he like many real estate investors, kept investing and became a large investor. He took a lot of risk, as I have, and increased the net worth many times.

It's not what you start with, or what you end with, it is the scaleability of the process.

Real estate is not for everyone. If it was, there would be less money in it. You can win big, as I have, or lose big. Hopefully I never see that part.

Question for the experienced landlords here: my great always pay on time tenant just agreed to another year at a $200 monthly rent increase. (From $1500/mo up to $1700/mo.). She also informed me she just got married and obviously hubby and his daughter wanna move in with my tenant and her kiddos. Should I be doing any screening in new hubby? Like what?

Need to do credit check and background check of everyone over 18. The fact that she has been a good tenant works in your favor, but I would not forego screening of additional adults.

It just seems easier to do something like what those guys did with that Snap thing. Sit in class and come up with an idea to make pictures expire after a few minutes. Have classmates tell you it is dumb. Write the app anyway using just one software guy. Turn company into 11 billion dollar startup.

One thing that that has not been mentioned is the recovery of monies through refinancing.

My original cost of a duplex in 1999 was $76,000 including closing costs, financing a 7% note with the owner who offered that option. I had put $15,000 down, about 15%. In 2003, I refinanced with Wells Fargo, who gave me a variable rate of 2.75+ LIBOR after 10 years, 2.75% the first 10 years. The duplex appraised for $100,000 and I refinanced 80% of that. I owed less than $60,000 plus closing costs. They gave me a check of over $15,000 at closing, tax free, in which I used in part, for another down payment for another rental property. So, for the original $15,000, I then had 2 income producing properties, 5 years of profitable cashflow, and more cash flow expected.

Of course, I could have pocketed the money, put it in stocks or bonds, but DW and I were both already maxing out our 401ks and our Roths, and those were in already stocks. It was time to diversify, and we have profited immensely.

Our tenants have hired our kids in their businesses while in college, we have used another tenants floral business for one kid's wedding. Another tenant is trying to get me invest money with him and his partner in his horse racing business for years. He has been a successful horse trainer for over 40 years, he rents from me so he doesn't have to commute back and forth to his horse ranch 3 hours away. I've provided many gallons of wine to his annual bonfire/BBQ.

And I didn't use my truck either to collect my divvies and capital gains, but I have used it to haul some horse manure for the garden.

Question for the experienced landlords here: my great always pay on time tenant just agreed to another year at a $200 monthly rent increase. (From $1500/mo up to $1700/mo.). She also informed me she just got married and obviously hubby and his daughter wanna move in with my tenant and her kiddos. Should I be doing any screening in new hubby? Like what?

Are you happy with the current tenant? I would still have them fill out an application, and process it, but unless you are going to terminate the lease, you have limited choices. She is there for another year, and evicting may not be an option. A judge may not let you kick her out just because she got married. You can plan on them being there regardless what their background check comes back.

In my multi-families, I would screen all the same. An 18 year old kid needs to have a decent credit score, even if he is living with his parents who are paying the rent. I do not want some punk kid running my other tenants out of the building. I have similar issues with extra move in people. Luckily, good people generally hang around with other good people.

If your tenant has a poor credit score, likely the new tenants will too.

Need to do credit check and background check of everyone over 18. The fact that she has been a good tenant works in your favor, but I would not forego screening of additional adults.

+1000 The last thing you need is the original tenant get involved in a fatal incident, and not know who is currently living in your rental unit. Without a lease. Without a background check. If things go to crap, what do you tell the peace officer, or the judge? I got someone in my unit for the last 2 years and I don't have the faintest idea who they are?

It just seems easier to do something like what those guys did with that Snap thing. Sit in class and come up with an idea to make pictures expire after a few minutes. Have classmates tell you it is dumb. Write the app anyway using just one software guy. Turn company into 11 billion dollar startup.

Reminds me of a guy I used to work with. He had some loonie idea of selling shoes online and was willing to give a third of the company to just about anyone who would have given him $100k. I sure wish I'd taken that investment in Zappos! [emoji24]

OT, but...

Not too late for you to get started.....;)

To me rental investing has always been like stock market investing. You hear a lot more positives from the winners and the losers just sort of slink off quietly.

I could come on here and tout that I invested in stocks like KITE, who just got bought up by Gilead for $180 when it was trading for $75 just months ago, or Juno, which I did own at $21 and is trading at $44 today because it was pulled up by KITE.

It would be similar to someone who got a steal on a foreclosure and then the local market turned hot, so without a lot of work they managed a 200% return. I could click a button and manage a similar return as outlined above. I posit that both situations require a high degree of luck and there is a bias toward only revealing the winners.

If I went into landlording, I would instead end up with a Radio Shack or Sears house.

There is survivorship bias in every story. Couldn't tell my college drinking stories if I hadn't lived through puking in McDonald's late one afternoon after a tequila binge ;)

To the credit of the forum members, we've seen a broad spectrum of experiences - enthusiastic support, thoughtful stories of success, some not so good, and a few happy with the results but unwilling to continue. There is a lot to be learned.

Doing my best to filter out emotion, owning residential rentals looks like a lucrative opportunity for those with the right temperament and skills. The hard part is knowing if you have that disposition. I do not, yet still find the discussion interesting as I know many people dependent on various aspects of the business for their livelihood.

Being a value investor guy, mine would have been GM ;)

Last edited:
Another con to real estate investing is having every forum discussion on the topic descend into snarky critiques. :D
That's nuthin'. You should see what happens when chart reading stock pickers show up periodically. :LOL:

Since then, I have pummeled my mortgages to get rid of them. I have been paying $6K extra per month, and one only has $16K left, which will be paid off by mid-October.

My investment portfolio earned 16% over the last 12 months, 1.8 mill would give $288k (plus dividends?) and would be taxed at less than half my income rate. Plus zero work.

I think a lot of interesting points were made. The one about Trump was interesting - I believe he has not beaten the S&P in any significant way based on the money he inherited from his father. Real estate isn't worth my time, I agree if you have low salary and need supplement it is an opportunity you have an opportunity to invest significant labor - finding, rehabbing, screening, etc. I agree it doesn't feel like much. A few hours here and there. I like going back to chat up my neighbors/friends.

My one property has probably made me $150k in 4 years. For that I have about $200k tied up - so 75%. But if I was faced with dealing with 7 rentals to double my money (buying during ideal times and tax cannot cash out refinance) vs investing in stock (internet down due to Harvey) but I would guess 60% return - I would absolutely choose the carefree 60%. I didn't choose to go into rentals - just thought it would be a better investment to rent than sell and it has been.

People all talk about how rents don't decline but that hasn't played out in Houston. Rents have dropped by 17% in the last couple years.

I agree you hear a lot about success stories - gambling, stocks, and rentals. I could pick some great company stocks but high risk. I could buy some real estate but risky - oil prices are in the toilet, lots of lux apartments were built based on oil and rental prices, and trump's war on ACA fed uncertainty into the medical field - Houston is hurting.

But I'm not interested in living 20 miles from any investments or anywhere permanent and I don't need to risk rentals or deal with tenants to retire early. Time spent on rentals is not worth more than time spent at my primary job. It just depends on your individual circumstances.

My investment portfolio earned 16% over the last 12 months, 1.8 mill would give $288k (plus dividends?) and would be taxed at less than half my income rate. Plus zero work.

I think a lot of interesting points were made. The one about Trump was interesting - I believe he has not beaten the S&P in any significant way based on the money he inherited from his father. Real estate isn't worth my time, I agree if you have low salary and need supplement it is an opportunity you have an opportunity to invest significant labor - finding, rehabbing, screening, etc. I agree it doesn't feel like much. A few hours here and there. I like going back to chat up my neighbors/friends.

My one property has probably made me $150k in 4 years. For that I have about $200k tied up - so 75%. But if I was faced with dealing with 7 rentals to double my money (buying during ideal times and tax cannot cash out refinance) vs investing in stock (internet down due to Harvey) but I would guess 60% return - I would absolutely choose the carefree 60%. I didn't choose to go into rentals - just thought it would be a better investment to rent than sell and it has been.

People all talk about how rents don't decline but that hasn't played out in Houston. Rents have dropped by 17% in the last couple years.

I agree you hear a lot about success stories - gambling, stocks, and rentals. I could pick some great company stocks but high risk. I could buy some real estate but risky - oil prices are in the toilet, lots of lux apartments were built based on oil and rental prices, and trump's war on ACA fed uncertainty into the medical field - Houston is hurting.

But I'm not interested in living 20 miles from any investments or anywhere permanent and I don't need to risk rentals or deal with tenants to retire early. Time spent on rentals is not worth more than time spent at my primary job. It just depends on your individual circumstances.

I will stay out of politics, and Trump may not have beaten the S&P, based on his previous and current NW, but he has lived an extravagant lifestyle because of real estate. Buffet beats the S&P (sometimes), but comparatively lives like a pauper. If you added the money Trump spent that could have been reinvested, it may well exceed the S&P. But beating the S&P is something that virtually no money manager can do.

I too have a solid investment portfolio, which I think if you are invested in RE you need to have first. My investments should give out dividends, but gains could well be negative. Real Estate investing is for cash flow, not appreciation. Any appreciation is a bonus. Any one that invests for appreciation is a speculator, not an investor.

Rentals give me, and others, the tax benefits of a business. I can shelter the first ~$100K I bring in with depreciation and business expenses (0% tax rate). It is a solid income in good stock market times and bad, and generally will out pace inflation. It provides another leg to retirement, in addition to investments, pension, VA payments and other benefits I have. It can be work, or not. I could hire a PM, but I save $25k+ doing it myself. Just to handle a few calls a month across 25 tenants. Doing maintenance probably saves another $25K+.

Once you have a real estate portfolio you get the golden handcuffs put on. Selling is a hard option due to taxes. Putting that same money to work in the market does not equate to the same cash flow. 1031 exchanges and property managers are a way to reduce your effort. You have to do something during your 24 hours a day, why not work for yourself?

Real Estate is not for everyone, and certainly should not be anyone's first investment, at least not in a typical landlord sense. Maybe a REIT, but not being a landlord. Maybe you get lucky, maybe not. If you get a bad tenant, it could wipe you out. I have had many bad ones, until I figured it out.

I kicked out a woman with stage 4 terminal breast cancer that several of her family members called to plead me to drop the eviction. Nope, out she went. She died six month's later. I have no regrets, other than I should have done it sooner. As it was, I only owned the building four days when I filed the eviction. I should have done it day one.

And all this talk about how fearful everyone is about real estate, most of the same people here say to buy a home, not rent. A home is a great value, and you can gain equity. You can control your housing costs. That my friends, is also real estate investing. Just a different flavor.

Some folks like hot dogs, some don't. Some folks like lobster, and seafood, some don't.

Some like real estate investing, others don't. It is what makes the world go round and conversations interesting. Within the next 7 days, there will be $6000 in checks delivered to the mailbox out front.

$7250 for me:D

I guess it boils down to an individuals definition of ER. I was fortunate to have a long corporate career with good benefits. However the extensive travel took its toll. Now one year into ER I have a strict rule. I must live off what investments give me in the form of interest and dividends. Simply do nothing and check the bank account periodically. My only work is to try to improve my health.

I've been down the rental RE road and it's not at all for me. But to each his own. Now back to fighting the moles in the front yard.

.... If you get a bad tenant, it could wipe you out. I have had many bad ones, until I figured it out.

I kicked out a woman with stage 4 terminal breast cancer that several of her family members called to plead me to drop the eviction. Nope, out she went. She died six month's later. I have no regrets, other than I should have done it sooner. As it was, I only owned the building four days when I filed the eviction. I should have done it day one. ...

I understand that to be successful, you can't let a tenant's problems become your problems. But I'm curious, what was the reason for the eviction? If it was lack of payment, I find it interesting that the family members essentially pleaded with you ( a stranger to this woman) to pay her rent, when they (family) apparently were unwilling to do that for her. But they probably made you out to be the devil.

-ERD50

Back
Top Bottom