Myanmar: any thoughts?

Considering that the US has just declared the attacks on the Rohingya people ethnic cleansing, going there may well have become less attractive/more dangerous

Not picking on anyone here, but I think in general people greatly overrate danger when considering travel to other countries.

Consider the United States. Viewed from Europe or elsewhere this is a very dangerous place. Gang member beheadings, crazy mass murderers, everyone carrying guns, ... There was a woman from India murdered in California earlier this year, an event that prompted the Indian government to warn about travel here. Statistically speaking, this stuff is all negligible, but it's what others see. I don't know about you, but I don't feel particularly unsafe here. No surprise, our leading risk is transportation accidents (40,000/yr), followed by falls, and (surprise to me!) accidental poisoning. We get roughly 75 million tourists a year. I could crank some probability numbers, but I think it's pretty clear that someone visiting for a couple of weeks is taking a vanishingly small risk.

So what about Myanmar? What about other "dangerous" places like maybe Egypt? High crime rate countries like South Africa?

Just cranking numbers, these places are going to come out as being low risk as well. Considering further that "hot spots" like the Rohingya areas, like downtown Cairo on hot evenings, like night time in the favelas, are easily avoided, travel almost anywhere has to be evaluated as very safe. Obviously, there are places to avoid. Syria, Central African Republic, and South Sudan come to mind. But they are the exception out of nearly 200 countries worldwide and easily spotted.

So ... DW and I are off to Myanmar and Vietnam for most of the month of January. Our main concern was supporting this murderous regime with our dollars and we talked about that quite a bit. Our decision to go was based on the conclusion that the vast majority of our dollars will go to support workers who have nothing to do with the atrocities. And these workers are already suffering; our Yangon tour operator says she has lost about half of her Western tourist business and that her folks and vendors are suffering.

Danger? The concern never crossed our minds. We have not, however, scheduled a home stay in a Rohingya village. ;)

Not picking on anyone here, but I think in general people greatly overrate danger when considering travel to other countries.

Consider the United States. Viewed from Europe or elsewhere this is a very dangerous place. Gang member beheadings, crazy mass murderers, everyone carrying guns, ... There was a woman from India murdered in California earlier this year, an event that prompted the Indian government to warn about travel here. Statistically speaking, this stuff is all negligible, but it's what others see. I don't know about you, but I don't feel particularly unsafe here. No surprise, our leading risk is transportation accidents (40,000/yr), followed by falls, and (surprise to me!) accidental poisoning. We get roughly 75 million tourists a year. I could crank some probability numbers, but I think it's pretty clear that someone visiting for a couple of weeks is taking a vanishingly small risk.

So what about Myanmar? What about other "dangerous" places like maybe Egypt? High crime rate countries like South Africa?

Just cranking numbers, these places are going to come out as being low risk as well. Considering further that "hot spots" like the Rohingya areas, like downtown Cairo on hot evenings, like night time in the favelas, are easily avoided, travel almost anywhere has to be evaluated as very safe. Obviously, there are places to avoid. Syria, Central African Republic, and South Sudan come to mind. But they are the exception out of nearly 200 countries worldwide and easily spotted.

So ... DW and I are off to Myanmar and Vietnam for most of the month of January. Our main concern was supporting this murderous regime with our dollars and we talked about that quite a bit. Our decision to go was based on the conclusion that the vast majority of our dollars will go to support workers who have nothing to do with the atrocities. And these workers are already suffering; our Yangon tour operator says she has lost about half of her Western tourist business and that her folks and vendors are suffering.

Danger? The concern never crossed our minds. We have not, however, scheduled a home stay in a Rohingya village. ;)

Well said. I think you will enjoy both Myanmar and Vietnam. Two of our favourite places. The Rohingya area is far removed from any tourists.

I completely agree with you. I think the only point in your travels where your money might go to the generals is through any airline tickets. The military might have investments in the airline industry. Otherwise just about everything is cash directly to the people. Enjoy. It is a fascinating country.

OldShooter....agree with your sentiments completely. Those who consider travel to some other countries dangerous should take a closer look at their own environment and how others view it.

We think that you will have a wonderful time. We spent an entire month in Vietnam traveling independently from the southern islands to Hanoi. My spouse was a little hesitant. Now she rates it as one of the most interesting countries that we have visited and we plan to return at some point for another extended trip. Myanmar is also on our list. Perhaps next winter.

We are headed to the Philippines for a month this winter. Those that know little about it keep telling us how dangerous it is. Those that are familiar with the area tell us how beautiful it is and to simply stay away from the far southern areas. Much like parts of the deep south in Thailand.

Hope that you have a fabulous trip

Where did you end up going?

I've been to Myanmar a few times and always had a good trip.

The more I read about the evolving situation in Myanmar, the less I thought it was wise to go. Wasn't too comfortable walking into a situation that was/is being labeled as 'genocide'.

So went to New Zealand - this time just the North Island. Had a splendid time, just like two years ago.

Back
Top Bottom