Nasal Polyps - Has anybody tried the new stents?

gindie

Full time employment: Posting here.
I am a chronic sufferer from nasal polyps. They completely eliminate my ability to taste and smell.

I've had 2 sinus surgeries and they helped for very short periods of time.

There is a newer (about 4 years now) implantable stent that is supposed to deliver a steroid after surgery to that area to prevent the return of the polyps.

Has anybody here had this procedure done, and if you had chronic polyps, how long were the stents effective?

Hi gindie, I joined to be able to respond to you.
I had surgery for nasal polyps in October of 2017. I also had a severely deviated septum and several old breaks in my nose. The polyps were removed and my nose was rebroken to straighten it.
Sounds horrible, but it wasn’t as bad as it sounds. I have been using Bundosine, which is a steroid, in a nasal wash twice a day since then. Just had a check up with my doctor on Tuesday and he says everything is healed well and no signs of regrowth. Doctor says I’ll probably be on steroids in the nasal wash forever-or until I want the polyps to come back.
I haven’t heard of stents that deliver the steroids. It sounds interesting tho.... do you happen to know the name of the stents?

Hi gindie, I joined to be able to respond to you.
I haven’t heard of stents that deliver the steroids. It sounds interesting tho.... do you happen to know the name of the stents?

I feel honored you joined because of my post. I guarantee if you stay around you will learn a lot.

I, too, tried the steroid-in-the-wash technique, but it didn't stop them from coming back.

The name I've seen most often for the stents is PROPEL. I've seen a video on it. They insert an applicator in the sinus and push the stent out the back end. When it exits the applicator, it springs open to fill the sinus area for maximum coverage.

I've been reading here for a long time. You are right~I have learned a lot! I will ask my doctor about the PROPEL. It would be much easier when we are traveling. Have they offered it to you?

I guess I left out some important information.

The PROPEL is inserted by the ENT at the end of a surgery. The stents are absorbed after about a month.

I was wondering typically how long the polyps stayed away after that time.

I am thinking about seeing my ENT towards the end of the year for another surgery.

Back
Top Bottom