Near All Time Highs - who's going to pull the trigger?

I have to admit that I effectively pulled the trigger and reduced exposure to equities by about 2.5% of total portfolio value, but that was a day after increasing exposure to equities by about 2.5%.

I am looking to restore my equity percentage though as soon as something drops about 1% in price. That may be stupid as 1% of 2.5% is just a change of 0.025% in total portfolio value and should not mean much by the end of the year.

Last edited:
With Dow and S&P nearing all time highs today is everyone going to continue the ride or will some of you take some money to the sidelines?

Money to sidelines and taxes to IRS :LOL:.

No I will just continue collecting qualified dividends.

Being that both stock and bond funds have done well, my 50/50 allocation has barely budged. Since I have wide 10% do nothing bands I'll just go back to my usual financial nap until something happens. Sometimes my financial naps last for years and years...

Well I always add to the cash stockpile when stocks hit new highs. Its nice to see foreign stocks are finally making some headway.

Threw some play money into the market during the last downturn, so likely pull that back out and go buy a car. Been doing more hiking where Uber is not really an option.

I made 60 grand last month.

Maybe next month I'll lose it.

Not worried.

I will expect a recession some time after the yield curve inverts--but I do not expect to do anything. But it is still normal.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Early Retirement Forum mobile app

The monthly statement (paper) came in the mailbox (the one on the curb) and I opened it up and found that I made 60 grand.

Once before I die imma gonna buy me a ticket to the main event at the annual world series of poker in vegas. Most likely I loose 10 grand, but I could win 20 million. I'll be happy to break even.

And even if I loose 10 grand at least I had a seat - :)

The monthly statement (paper) came in the mailbox (the one on the curb) and I opened it up and found that I made 60 grand.

Once before I die imma gonna buy me a ticket to the main event at the annual world series of poker in vegas. Most likely I loose 10 grand, but I could win 20 million. I'll be happy to break even.

And even if I loose 10 grand at least I had a seat - :)

I am sure it's a very cool experience so you should do it once! Good luck whenever you do it!

I am at 64% equity and would like to be at 60% when I retire in 16 months. I have a strict formula that leads totransfering funds from stock funds to total bond based on equity balance. If market increases at least a little bit both tomorrow and friday, it will trigger a transfer of $50K to FTBFX. That transfer along with my slow three month process to get out of junk should have me down to around 62% equity by end of year.

Marc

Heck, I'm just getting used to the idea that we recovered all that nasty action at the beginning of the year.

New highs AGAIN!! Arrrrrgh! What is this world coming to!?!?

[sarcasm]

The next withdrawal I will take probably at the end of this month. I expect to sell equities because I am more out of balance than I really want to be and selling equities would bring me closer back into balance. Will look at it in a couple of weeks and act accordingly at the time.

I would like to liquidate a small percentage of the portfolio this year, ( maybe 1-2%) Watching the markets closely and if they rise another 3-4% will pull the trigger.

Continue the ride by all means.

Though it's always moved in fits and starts, isn't the market supposed to hit new highs ongoing? Hasn't it always hit new highs, in the USA at least? There have been hundreds of new highs in the past 10 years, do you wish you'd gotten out - and when would you have "rejoined" with confidence?

113-years-of-the-dow_0-1.jpg

Charts like this make you think we're due for at least another 7 years of ~flatness in the cumulative return.

On wait - the chart ends at 2009, we're half way through 2016. So that's the 7 more years. So we could take off any year now, or not for another 9!

I would like to liquidate a small percentage of the portfolio this year, ( maybe 1-2%) Watching the markets closely and if they rise another 3-4% will pull the trigger.

Can't you do this automatically by letting all dividends/distributions go to cash?

Lots of cocky investors? Why not? Election year to elect a new queen or king. A timid Fed. Low low rates Walmart style.:dance:

Election year. Brexit. Fed hikes.
What could go wrong?

Riding it out though.

Lots of cocky investors? Why not? Election year to elect a new queen or king. A timid Fed. Low low rates Walmart style.:dance:
I'd consider someone who thinks they can consistently time the market "cocky." Hopefully there will always be new highs...

I'd consider someone who thinks they can consistently time the market "cocky." Hopefully there will always be new highs...

George Soros is now short the S&P500, and has taken the reins over again at his hedge fund. The last time he personally took over trading in the hedge fund was in 2007 when he believed the housing market would cause financial chaos and his fund made a billion dollars. Cocky certainly defines him.

I am getting close to returning to a 25% level of stocks from the 35% that I increased to in February, VTI being up about 11.5% since I moved into that ETF in Feb. There are increasing number of very smart people I follow who are getting more and more worried about the financial markets.

Can't you do this automatically by letting all dividends/distributions go to cash?

I think Danmar's investments are individual stocks and not MFs.

I don't think anyone here advocates market timing. I surely don't!

But the problem with market timing is that once in a while...it works. When it does, it just fuels the idea that it can be done consistently.

Back
Top Bottom