Need a new desktop PC

statsman

Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
With Win 7's support about to end with Microsoft, it is time to replace my nearly 6 year-old desktop (Dell XPS i7-4770, 12GB RAM). I have always been a desktop person, with a laptop for the occasional travel or for remote desktop access to the desktop from somewhere else in the house (like when watching TV, listening to music, out in the garage, etc.).

I plan to leave the Win 7 Pro desktop intact while I try to transition my applications and scripts to another OS. I'll have another desktop PC available (Dell Inspiron i5-4440, 8GB RAM) to use for Linux to see if I want to transition some or all of my computer use to Linux. Right now, I don't have enough time to try out Linux and make a decision before Win 7 support ends, although my biggest immediate need would be for secure browsing.

I am not a gamer, so that means not needing the highest performing processor with a large amount of memory. That said, I do have some photo processing software for a Nikon DSLR that could benefit from a decently powered desktop (which doesn't run under native Linux). I do some batch processing for tasks like audio processing (converting CD music to MP3 files for our vehicles). Outside of that, everything else is fairly basic

If I were to purchase a desktop PC for Win 10 Pro given my use, I suspect just about any current Intel processor should provide a performance bump compared to what I have. I see 8th to 10th generation Intel processors available, and anything from Core i3 to i9. Six years ago, the range was more limited, mostly 4th generation.

Any recommendations, especially for Win 10 Pro? I have zero experience with the operating system, which is why I ask. When I worked, I was always exposed to the latest OS. Now retired, there seems to be less of a need to keep up with the latest and greatest, except when Microsoft's plans make my current PC potentially unsafe for future browsing use. It was why I transitioned from Win XP to Win 7 in late 2013, but at that time, I had some experience with Win 7 at work.

Perhaps the most significant change since your last PC is the availability at reasonable cost of decently-sized solid-state drives. I'd get one of them instead of a hard drive.

I could care less if Microsoft stops supporting Windows 7 as I've never had any issues with it anyway. I still feel more comfortable with Windows 7 than I ever did with Windows 10.

After many years sitting at a desk, I'm an all laptop guy. I mainly do letters, a little Excel and read magazines and newspapers online. My laptop's low tech and kept simple.

You probably know a whole lot more than I do. But I'd just get a mid line desk top computer as they'll now have the guts to do most anything you require. Since we have 3 laptops in the family, we've been buying remanufactured models for under $300, and not had a second's trouble out of them. I have a software guy that installs up to date Windows and other programs and fine tunes them when they start booting up a little slowly.

With Win 7's support about to end with Microsoft, it is time to replace my nearly 6 year-old desktop (Dell XPS i7-4770, 12GB RAM). I have always been a desktop person, with a laptop for the occasional travel or for remote desktop access to the desktop from somewhere else in the house (like when watching TV, listening to music, out in the garage, etc.).

I plan to leave the Win 7 Pro desktop intact while I try to transition my applications and scripts to another OS. I'll have another desktop PC available (Dell Inspiron i5-4440, 8GB RAM) to use for Linux to see if I want to transition some or all of my computer use to Linux. Right now, I don't have enough time to try out Linux and make a decision before Win 7 support ends, although my biggest immediate need would be for secure browsing.

I am not a gamer, so that means not needing the highest performing processor with a large amount of memory. That said, I do have some photo processing software for a Nikon DSLR that could benefit from a decently powered desktop (which doesn't run under native Linux). I do some batch processing for tasks like audio processing (converting CD music to MP3 files for our vehicles). Outside of that, everything else is fairly basic

If I were to purchase a desktop PC for Win 10 Pro given my use, I suspect just about any current Intel processor should provide a performance bump compared to what I have. I see 8th to 10th generation Intel processors available, and anything from Core i3 to i9. Six years ago, the range was more limited, mostly 4th generation.

Any recommendations, especially for Win 10 Pro? I have zero experience with the operating system, which is why I ask. When I worked, I was always exposed to the latest OS. Now retired, there seems to be less of a need to keep up with the latest and greatest, except when Microsoft's plans make my current PC potentially unsafe for future browsing use. It was why I transitioned from Win XP to Win 7 in late 2013, but at that time, I had some experience with Win 7 at work.

Personally I'll never own another desktop again. Laptops are now powerful enough even at lower price points that it just doesn't make sense to own a desktop that must stay put IMO. And if you like the keyboard, mouse, and monitor of a desktop, it's easy enough to get a docking station and use all of these with a laptop, but have the ability to take it off the docking station and sit on the couch with it if so desired.

If you're doing audio and picture processing, having a little extra performance goes a long way. My current laptop is a Dell G3, which is technically a gaming laptop, but a low end one. I absolutely love it. I didn't buy it for gaming, but having the decent graphics card, memory, and processor made the very light video processing I occasionally do SO much easier than it did with my more budget computer before. It also future proofs it a bit more if you have decent specs at the time of purchase.

Your system (Dell XPS i7-4770, 12GB RAM) is totally fine to run Windows 10 with no problem. I have a i7-4770 and it runs great on Win10. Processors have not gotten that much better over the last few years and are not worth the money for the meager gains in speed. If you don't already have a SSD it is a great upgrade.

Wow, I guess I should be worried about my Dell XPS 8700 i5-4440 3.1 GHz 8GB RAM desktop that I bought in Aug 2013 - but I'm not at all. And by constantly maintaining an external backup, I'll get by if I push the limit too far.

FWIW, I started with Win7, moved to Win8 (not good), Win8.1 (better) and switched to Win10 as soon as it became available. Win10 runs absolutely fine on my PC (inferior to the OPs), and has from the start.

And I don't do much photo work on my PC, but I've shot, edited and uploaded about 3 dozen YouTube videos with this PC, mostly between 500-900MB each. All without problems, the weak link was the editing software (no longer supported GoPro Studio), not the PC or OS.

You may not need a new PC, and I understand the desktop vs laptop dilemma (I should buy a laptop next, but it's hard to let go of the desktop), but if I was buying a new desktop I'd get the second fastest CPU and some if not all SSD HD for starters. Good luck!

Last edited:

Of cause, depends on budget, but I would consider I7 NUC (maybe I9, but it's to overpriced now), something like this https://www.amazon.com/NUC8i7BEK-Qu...jbGlja1JlZGlyZWN0JmRvTm90TG9nQ2xpY2s9dHJ1ZQ==

Like Jim says, your system will run Win10. A solid state drive will really make a difference. If your photo software supports hardware acceleration via a graphics card, that will be a good investment too. Are you happy with your monitor?

If you do find that you want a new desktop PC get one with an SSD for the OS. Verify that the display connectors are compatible with your existing monitor. If you dig deeper, you may find that you can reuse your disk drives in the new computer after you make the transition.

Perhaps the most significant change since your last PC is the availability at reasonable cost of decently-sized solid-state drives. I'd get one of them instead of a hard drive.
That was something I was considering for the OS drive. I currently have two additional internal SATA drives and four external USB drives. Between photos, music, and some videos, I have numerous copies of the same information. Call me paranoid.

I could care less if Microsoft stops supporting Windows 7 as I've never had any issues with it anyway. I still feel more comfortable with Windows 7 than I ever did with Windows 10.
Again, call me paranoid, but I don't think I could ever log into one of our financial accounts with Win 7 after the security patching stops. If it weren't for that, I probably would stay with Win 7. Hence the interest in having Linux on at least one computer.

I agree with the previous posters suggesting you keep your existing computer, but add a SSD. You can get one for about $100 per TB. You can leave your existing drive alone, install the new SSD, and setup Win 10 on the new SSD (if that is the operating system you want).

This article has information to get Windows 10 using the old free upgrade path. https://www.zdnet.com/article/heres-how-you-can-still-get-a-free-windows-10-upgrade/

We will be replacing both our desktops with refurbished units at a cost of $200 each. The outfit will also transfer all our programs and files to the new units.
I may have to byt an updated version of Microsoft Office, however.
At least I will not have to worry about TT for the next few years.

My computer is 6 years old. It's an i5-3450S with 16GB of ram and it handles Win 10 just fine. I have no intention on upgrading it until I need to and I'm hoping that will be another 3-5 years. I do have an SSD. I started with a 120GB but upgraded about a year ago to a 250GB. I use it for all programs, not just the OS, so I was running out of space. The only thing I'd like to upgrade is my graphics card so I can go to 4K, but it's just not worth it for what I do so I went ahead and got a new monitor that max's out at 1080p which is all my computer can put out. Good enough.

I'd do as others said. Get an SSD if you haven't already. I'd even go as far as to do a clean install on it and just start over.

I've gone through a similar path as you when got a new PC in preparation for the end of Win 7. This was about year ago or so ago. I was on the brink of saying bye bye to Microsoft. I mapped out what comparable programs to use on Linux that I used with Win. But in the end, I decided to stay with Win 10 as my main machine (desktop). Not because I like Win 10 or anything but because of familiarity and there are some key programs that I didn't want no longer use.

Yes. We just bought a laptop - DW - and desktop that are each solid state for their speed. Working great. i5 recent edition processor in the Dell desktop. Probably paid more than necessary for what we do, but we're fine with that for the conveniences.

We will be replacing both our desktops with refurbished units at a cost of $200 each. The outfit will also transfer all our programs and files to the new units.
I may have to buy an updated version of Microsoft Office, however.

I recommend you try:
https://www.libreoffice.org/

It's free, it really works very well with Microsoft saved files, it is a full Office suite of software.
If you end up loving it, later you can always send them $20.

Desktop here is i7-4790 CPU @3.60 GHz in a Dell box, running on spinning drive. I upgraded from 7 to 10 with no problems.

Over time the accumulation of additional startup processes is my only complaint.

Time to weedout some of those things, I suppose.

I'd prefer new desktop, with improved processor and SSD for startup. Of course that is true every day.

If you decide to replace the 6-year old Windows desktop, you could try to extrapolate what would give acceptable performance 5-6 years from now. So, reach higher is what I'd recommend. I'd avoid any all-in-one design.

If you decide to replace the 6-year old Windows desktop, you could try to extrapolate what would give acceptable performance 5-6 years from now. So, reach higher is what I'd recommend. I'd avoid any all-in-one design.
That's what I was trying to decide between the three generations and four cores of Intel processors currently available (not counting those below the 8th Gen Core i3). I've usually gone with something toward the high end processor but not the highest. There were less options 6 years ago (and before that), so the decision was not too difficult.

Right now, I see 8th, 9th, and 10th Gen processors, with Core i3, i5, and i7 for each (i9 for 9th Gen). My initial guess was a 9th Gen i5 or i7. Gotta sense that either would be more than sufficient. Don't know if i7 is worth $200 more than i5. I can afford either, but I hate overspending (old habits!).

I may have to byt an updated version of Microsoft Office, however.

I recommend you try:
https://www.libreoffice.org/

It's free, it really works very well with Microsoft saved files, it is a full Office suite of software.
If you end up loving it, later you can always send them $20.

I'm done with the Microsoft Office suite. Once they started transitioning to Office 365, I started looking for alternatives, and found Google Docs. Easy, intuitive, very similar to office, and all of your documents can be accessed by any computer with internet, as long as you know your Google sign-in information. I have nearly instant access to every one of my Google Doc files from my laptop, phone, or tablet. It's so much better than Office IMO.

I currently have a Win 10 all-in-one desktop that has run without a hitch for more than a year. It meets all my needs and if I have an interest in something new its easy to find and implement. For many years I ran a couple of Linux servers in the basement to house my family website, a file and print server, and for a while a firewall, intrusion detection software and vulnerability scanners that I was experimenting with. At various times I would experiment with using one of the Linux boxes for routine desktop functions. I was able to do that but it was always a PITA - getting and installing the right packages, mounting disks, connecting peripherals were often a challenge. The impression I get is that the vast majority of Linux systems are still used and administered by pros. Linux has become more and more user friendly over the years but still remains a hobbyist platform for routine desktop use. Maybe a solution for the OP is to buy a new Win 10 desktop to accomplish his essential tasks and load a Linux distro onto the old system to experiment with. If he finds it meets all his needs he could convert the new machine or continue with both OSes.

I'm done with the Microsoft Office suite. Once they started transitioning to Office 365, I started looking for alternatives, and found Google Docs. Easy, intuitive, very similar to office, and all of your documents can be accessed by any computer with internet, as long as you know your Google sign-in information. I have nearly instant access to every one of my Google Doc files from my laptop, phone, or tablet. It's so much better than Office IMO.

I do the same and use Google Sheets also. Great stuff.

That's what I was trying to decide between the three generations and four cores of Intel processors currently available (not counting those below the 8th Gen Core i3). I've usually gone with something toward the high end processor but not the highest. There were less options 6 years ago (and before that), so the decision was not too difficult.

Right now, I see 8th, 9th, and 10th Gen processors, with Core i3, i5, and i7 for each (i9 for 9th Gen). My initial guess was a 9th Gen i5 or i7. Gotta sense that either would be more than sufficient. Don't know if i7 is worth $200 more than i5. I can afford either, but I hate overspending (old habits!).
I just opened Dell site, to see if I could get a clearer picture.
https://deals.dell.com/en-us/work/category/desktops

Since I have an older XPS, I would likely stick with that. There are two Black Friday deals that I would compare, on that page - XPS Tower. But would look around to see what other manufacturers are offering.

Each manufacturer you'd consider will have a page with limited deals, and that shows you what they're pushing, which is likely to be what's most popular.

$200 spread out over 5 years of useful life is not a big deal. YMMV.

Back
Top Bottom