Need Help Buying Stereo

Thanks for the link Cut-Throat but it doesn't say much and I can't find out whether it "remembers" settings on a per input basis.

If Bob_Smith (or anybody else) has the SA-XR25 (or later model) could he try out the following test? Set the DSP setting (e.g. Hall) for the CD input and then switch to the TV input. Set the DSP setting to something else (Live or Theatre). Now switch back to CD input. What is the DSP setting? Is it what you originally set while in CD input mode or is it what you set in TV input mode?

This is one of my annoyances with the current Yamaha mini-system that I use for A/V now. I have to twiddle with the controls to make the settings work for DVD movies or Playstation games or cable TV and then it only keeps the last setting and I have to redo it when I switch inputs. It's a pain for me to do it but my wife can't/won't and so I get the complaints when watching a DVD has audio problems. I'm hoping to aovid that when I replace the Yamaha.

Thanks.

Hyper, I did order the SA-XR25. Actually I was buying two receivers and the other one arrived first. There was a delay at Amazon on the SA-XR25 - it was a refurb through some other company. The other receiver was good enough for me, and it was quite a lot cheaper, so I bought another. I applied the savings to getting some decent speakers. So I didn't end up with the Panasonic.

Since we're on the subject, I have one more related question. I need to buy a CD player for my second system. In the meantime I've been using my DVD player to play CDs. Actually, the sound is very good - I can't even tell the difference. But that might be due to having better speakers than I've ever had. I'd like to get a player that will let me load a bunch of CDs, but since my $50 DVD player sounds so good, I'm thinking there's no point in paying much for a higher end CD player. Does the quality of the CD player typically make much difference - or can I go cheap and expect to get the same sound?

Thanks Cut-Throat! I didn't know they made DVD changers.

I didn't know they made DVD changers.
I guess they eliminate the arduous hassle of having to put down the remote and physically get up every two hours or so!

What's next-- recliners with integrated beer kegs & optional catheters?

Back
Top Bottom