Neighbor talked me out of BTD

On the subject of the modern Mopar Hemis, does anyone know how the bigger ones (376, 392) compare to the base 5.7 (345, I think?) My 2012 Ram has the 5.7 and it's decent, but also a pretty heavy vehicle and not geared all that aggressively. I haven't driven a Charger or Challenger with the 5.7, except around in a low-speed test course at the Carlisle PA Chrysler show years ago, but I'm sure in a lighter car, it would be a major improvement. But, is something like a 392 really THAT much quicker?)
Just because an engine is a little bigger doesn't mean it is more powerful. Example, in the MoPar engine line up that you asked about, a 6.4L (~392) engine typically turns out just under 500 horsepower, while the smaller 5.7L (~350) gives just under 400 horsepower. Both are "naturally aspirated". However in the middle is their 6.2L (~376) engine which cranks out 700+ horsepower, but it's supercharged. All of these engines have "variants" that affect HP ratings but those are generalized/base numbers. All other things being equal (weight/gearing/design/tires/drivers) then it's horsepower that will make your vehicle quicker and faster.

But it's really not that simple, since too much HP has it's own unique set of challenges, most of which can be overcome, but that's a different discussion.

Last edited:
But it's really not that simple, since too much HP has it's own unique set of challenges, most of which can be overcome, but that's a different discussion.

My philosophy on horsepower: some is good, more is better, too much is just right.

^^^^
:):):) +1

Well with my Challenger at 717 factory HP it's almost to much to handle (with factory street tires). Heck, I have to be careful on highways passes since even at ~75mph the back tires can still break loose under full throttle, especially on asphalt surfaces. I'm planning on getting some Nittos as soon as these tires are gone which should help a lot.

So those Dodge commercials you see on TV with all those tire smoking drifting/launches with cars right off the showroom floor... It's not fake.

Last edited:
Yes, muscle cars are a lot of fun. I bought a new 2021 Challenger a little over a year ago and I agree, it gives me a smile every time I crank it up. I got the 6.2L (376 V8) engine and it's "over the top fast". I really like the "old school" look/styling with the modern technology and performance.

Only two complaints with the car after a year of driving it. (1) The back seats are useless for adult passengers. Far to cramped. (2) It's a little hard to get in and out of (for an older person :)). Not nearly as bad as my Vettes were but still a bit difficult. But once inside it's very comfortable.
Car-Guy I agree with both of your complaints, that back seat is tight, it is low but like you said roomy and comfortable once you are in it especially compared to the Camaro’s and Mustang’s. I really like Vette’s one of the best sports cars for the money but worried it will be to hard to get in and out of as I age, we will see since they are only doing the Challenger’s this year before going electric so will have to get something fun next.

^^^^
:):):) +1

Well with my Challenger at 717 factory HP it's almost to much to handle (with factory street tires). Heck, I have to be careful on highways passes since even at ~75mph the back tires can still break loose under full throttle, especially on asphalt surfaces. I'm planning on getting some Nittos as soon as these tires are gone which should help a lot.

So those Dodge commercials you see on TV with all those tire smoking drifting/launches with cars right off the showroom floor... It's not fake.
I can’t even imagine with the Hellcat power you have, I have to be careful with just the 485hp, I went from the 245’s to 275’s and still can break loose if not careful, amazing the amount of power in these cars.

I know exactly what you're talking about. I too was a 'hot shot' SW engr. Looking back I could say my mental peak was in my 30s and it was a slow and steady decline until my 50s and then the decline was really fast. I was really happy to get out at 55.
I was an engineer, but not in IT. My career and abilities seemed to peak much later, between 44 and about 54.

My working ability went downhill quickly at 56-58, mainly due to a mental health issue, and I retired at 60. If it had been diagnosed and managed earlier, I believe I could have continued to contribute strongly into my early 60s. Probably wouldn't have tried to continue working into the pandemic, though.

I can’t even imagine with the Hellcat power you have, I have to be careful with just the 485hp, I went from the 245’s to 275’s and still can break loose if not careful, amazing the amount of power in these cars.
I have 275's all the way around now. I'm thinking of going with 295 Nittos on the rear and keeping 275's Pirellis or Michelins on the front. I'd really like to go to 305's on the rear but I'm pretty sure I'd need to change wheels too so I'll try the 295's first. The "challenge" is getting tires this wide with a Y speed rating... Most are rated either Z or W. So it's a trade off... Still trying to decide...:confused:

I though I still believe I am the 999,999 for driving*, I knew I was past my prime in my job as a software engineer.

It was difficult to come to myself and realize I was not the hotshot SW eng I remember being in the 80s. I started to suck. I wasn't seeing things I could before. I introduced bugs. I hated the new tools and couldn't adapt. And so on. It took a lot for me to admit it was yet another good reason to hang up the keyboard and ER. I was amazed at how out of touch some of my contemporary age co-workers were. They all thought they walked on water and excreted bricks of gold. One out of 5 of them did, he was incredible. I saw the others struggle as I did -- they just didn't want to admit it.

My boss was the best. He admitted it, so that's why he became the boss, because he was better with people. His assessment was correct, he was a good boss. He asked me to consider management. But, I am not better with people so I ER'd.

* - OK, probably 999,000. No at fault accidents, no traffic tickets in 45 years driving. But this is changing. I can feel a day coming where I may be in the top 600,000, sooner than later.

Very interesting reading this from someone (me) who teaches the craft as a not-needed but enjoyable second career.

I look back, and see the amazing amount of work I did as a 20 year old. I also get to see students (from the very good to those who shouldn't pursue SW development as a career). I also see retired friends who were older than me when I started who definitely have deteriorated a lot.

One of the things I have enjoyed most about teaching is that I've been given the opportunity to learn new things, but at the same time I'm not in a pressure cooker to turn out new product or work late into the night. Do I think I could be as productive as when I was 25-40? Probably not. Do I think I could be as productive as most who are being turned out by colleges? yep, if I wanted to. But the truth is that there is no value (to me) in my wanting to.

I am planning on retiring at the end of the spring term. Is it because I can't handle the work? No. Is it because I don't like the work? No, I quite enjoy it. That has made this decision quite difficult (more difficult than leaving mega-corp in 2009 where I made 3X my 2023 salary as a professor).

I have 275's all the way around now. I'm thinking of going with 295 Nittos on the rear and keeping 275's Pirellis or Michelins on the front. I'd really like to go to 305's on the rear but I'm pretty sure I'd need to change wheels too so I'll try the 295's first. The "challenge" is getting tires this wide with a Y speed rating... Most are rated either Z or W. So it's a trade off... Still trying to decide...:confused:

Just curious where you drive the car to get above 186 mph (the Y speed rating).

That's gotta be BTD money on those tires.

No comment.

Lol. Good call.

Well, after dreaming, and spec'ing and talking it through with multiple people, and especially DW I decided to BTD on experiences, over the car so my final decision is to not buy the Camaro. It would have been fun. I even had a dream last night that I took delivery on one. But I think for us, at this moment in time, it's the right decision to focus on the kids, saving and retirement. Still at least 8 to 9 more years of working to go.

One of the things I have enjoyed most about teaching is that I've been given the opportunity to learn new things, but at the same time I'm not in a pressure cooker to turn out new product or work late into the night. Do I think I could be as productive as when I was 25-40? Probably not. Do I think I could be as productive as most who are being turned out by colleges? yep, if I wanted to. But the truth is that there is no value (to me) in my wanting to.

I think you touched on a few good things here, and since I slightly derailed this thread, I'm going to use the chance to bring it back to the BTD theme.

First, not having "my bucket is full BS" is important. Bucket-full-BS is probably one reason I declined in my job.

Second, learning is important at all ages. With my BS bucket full, I didn't want to learn on the job.

So back to BTD. There are great ways to BTD that involve learning and stimulating oneself.

For cars like OP's post... If you get a fancy high performance car, why not take it to some racing or high performance driving schools and learn the slick racing techniques? Then BTD and take it on a track. Risky? A tiny bit. Learning? Heck yes. I'm amazed at what a true pro driver can do with a high performance car. I think this is a great way to BTD.

But blowing it on a car so you are in a brain dead comfort cocoon? Maybe not. Comfortable, yes, but maybe you are creating a brain-decaying coffin box.

I shared on another thread that I got out of the coin collection game. No more fun. Sold it all. But for some, investing in high value coins can be very stimulating. It is all about brain power, and even if the coins don't skyrocket in price, an engaging hobby like this has benefits.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom