Nest Mesh Wifi Problem

eytonxav

Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...
Yesterday I setup a Google Mesh Wifi to improve wireless speeds in my house. The basic setup was easy, and after install, I switched from my existing wifi which is via a verizon modem/router over to the mesh network that provides a network connection for my iMac and tested the speed difference. My download speeds about tripled, but the upload speeds went down by a factor of three. I am thinking this might be due to the wireless on the upstream router has not been turned off or maybe some other setting needs to be changed on the verizon modem/router so it works seamlessly with the mess network. I am not very network savvy and it makes me nervous playing around with setting on the verizon modem/router, as I do not understand all the implications of enabling or disabling some features. Has anyone encountered this problem and what did you do about it?

Open a support case with Nest, they can help you identify where the issue is and assist in resolving.

I would run multiple speeds tests from multiple locations on both WiFi networks. Write down all the results. If you still see a pattern of consistently lower upload on mesh, then call Nest support for guidance.

There's no need to turn off your old WiFi network. We have a mesh system and the older router-based network running all the time. We still use the older network for certain devices.

I use an app on my smartphone called Wifi Analyzer to check signal strength. What I discovered comparing both networks at various locations, was that I got stronger signals with the mesh system at almost every location. But that did not necessarily result in better bandwidth performance. Roughly half the time, the older network had better bandwidth performance despite a weaker signal. The mesh network did have fewer dead spots and I think that's the primary advantage of mesh.

WiFi can be problematic for a number of reasons. I still use a hardwired network connection for our main PC, streaming boxes, and VoIP adapter. We have FiOS (fiber) and I want full up/down bandwidth for those applications. WiFi is used for mobile devices and IoT devices like cameras, smart locks, smart plugs, Alexa/echo, etc.

Just ran speed test within Google Home App and am getting good upload and download speeds, and then tried several other speed tests and both up and down are good. Not sure if running the test in the App resolved the problem. Very weird.

Back
Top Bottom