Wireless Printer and new modem

Bruno

Recycles dryer sheets
The cable company gave me a new Arris cable modem thats also has Wifi. My desktop is cat5 to my older Netgear N600 and my HP printer is wireless to my Netgear. I switched my desktop to the Arris and it was a lot faster (doubled) but then no one in the house could print to our HP. I went in and re-setup printer to the Arris but some still had problems. I have went back to the way it was. i guess the HP printer needs to go to the desktop then back to printer. Would it do any good to hook my Desktop up to new Arris and then run a cat5 from arris to the netgear. Just trying to figure out how to get the faster speed and everyone still being able to print. I probably should just try it but thought i might find an expert to tell me what would be the best way to handle this. Thanks in advance for any idea you have.

Are you sure you got the wireless setup correct between the HP and the Arris?

If you go into the Arris admin diagnostics screens, can you successfully ping the HP printer?

There should be no need for the old Netgear.

Last edited:
Are you sure you got the wireless setup correct between the HP and the Arris?

1. No, but i was able to print from the desktop but others could not see the printer on their phones.

If you go into the Arris admin diagnostics screens, can you successfully ping the HP printer?
2. I will check that out tomorrow.

There should be no need for the old Netgear.

3. I have another N600 as a slave in metal shop from the house N600. They just got fiber in the area but have not switched cause it took me a long time to get slave set up the first time.

Thanks for the reply I maybe over my head.

Last edited:
... i guess the HP printer needs to go to the desktop then back to printer. ...

I'm not well versed in networking, but it sounds like you have it set up such that your desktop is the "print server", so all print jobs go through your desktop to the printer.

You want the printer to be connected wirelessly (or wired Ethernet if it is going to be close to the Arris router) to the Arris router.

I went through this when setting up a wireless printer at the place we moved to last year. I forget the details, but I just followed the instructions and it worked. So find a good set of instructions for having it wireless, and *not* using a PC as a print server.

-ERD50

The HP printer should be connected to the wifi (hopefully you already unplugged your netgear one).
Note, you can set the Arriis wifi to be the same name and password as your netgear one, so nobody has to change settings to be on the wifi with other laptops , phone, etc.
Each laptop/phone should be able to find the printer on the wifi network and print once set up.

It sounds like you have competing WiFi networks and also 2 DHCP servers.

You can try plugging different devices into different ports, and so on. But without understanding the tech, and without a network diagram...

Back
Top Bottom