Netflix movie or show suggestion

Spoken language is fascinating to me. I enjoy a subtitled movie easily in any language other than Spanish, which I am almost fluent in but not quite fluent enough to understand the dialog, so my brain is fighting between thinking in Spanish and reading the subtitles in English. I would do pretty good reading subtitles in Spanish, or turning the sound off and watching with only subtitles. I tried to watch the Spanish-language "Grand Hotel" series (which interestingly Netflix translated the title into English from the original 'Gran Hotel", why?) but couldn't make it work. But I don't know if I really hear the same level of lyricism in a language I am fluent in vs one I rarely hear.

Old (1978) but very good, The Deer Hunter. Walken, Streep, De Niro. Apocalypse Now came the year after.

^^ Re Barbara, I watched it and liked it. I am a sucker for cold war stuff (been to GDR, got the T-shirt, married a Ukrainian eventually).

That's a shame. You'll miss out on a lot of really fine international movies and series.

I even use subtitles for Brit and Aussie shows. To each his own.

I often have Spanish subtitles on to English language shows - leftover from when I was watching a lot of Spanish shows. One show with international actors with marginal English speaking skills - the Spanish subtitles helped me understand what they were trying to say in English. :LOL:

For the particular show (Marco Polo) - they were some of the best English to Spanish translations I have ever read.

Spoken language is fascinating to me. I enjoy a subtitled movie easily in any language other than Spanish, which I am almost fluent in but not quite fluent enough to understand the dialog, so my brain is fighting between thinking in Spanish and reading the subtitles in English. I would do pretty good reading subtitles in Spanish, or turning the sound off and watching with only subtitles. I tried to watch the Spanish-language "Grand Hotel" series (which interestingly Netflix translated the title into English from the original 'Gran Hotel", why?) but couldn't make it work. But I don't know if I really hear the same level of lyricism in a language I am fluent in vs one I rarely hear.

If you switch the Spanish program subtitles to Spanish, you'll be amazed how much that helps.

Chef! Good contemporary comedy; it will make you feel good.

Dvd or streamable.

Superfast - a Fast and the Furious parody with a pretty spot on Vin Diesel. Terrible. Loved it.

This is a really great suspense movie in DVD and streaming The Numbers Station:
A disgraced black ops agent is dispatched to a remote CIA broadcast station to protect a code operator. Soon, they find themselves in a life-or-death struggle to stop a deadly plot before it's too late.

If you have Hulu, Line of Duty is a really great British police story with two seasons of 5-6 episodes each. It's about the police anti- corruption unit and the actors are wonderful.

Sent from my iPad using Early Retirement Forum

Watched this on the tablet during a long airline flight:
The Hundred-Foot Journey (2014) - IMDb

French town gets an Indian restaurant and sparks start to fly. Pretty good flick. I kept thinking 'brewer' instead of 'chef', and GABF instead of Michelin stars.

"The Hurt Locker" just showed up on my recommended list.

I watched the first part of kung fu hustle before I fell asleep last night and I was laughing my head off. Has to be one of the funniest movies I've seen in years.

Absolutely hilarious !! :LOL: Thanks for the tip.

Just added: Lawrence of Arabia or Masters of the Universe?
Netflix, you conflict me too often...

The Wrecking! Crew...
The Wrecking Crew was a group of studio musicians in Los Angeles in the 1960s who played on hits for the Beach Boys, Frank Sinatra, Nancy Sinatra, Sonny and Cher, Jan & Dean, The Monkees, Gary Lewis and the Playboys, Mamas and Papas, Tijuana Brass, Ricky Nelson, Johnny Rivers and were Phil Spector's Wall of Sound. The amount of work that they were involved in was tremendous.

They were also involved in groups that I like to call the Milli Vanillis of the day. A producer would get the guys in and lay down some instrumental tracks. If it became a hit, they would record an album and put a group together to go on the road. This happened many times with groups like the Marketts, Routers, and T-Bones. The next day they would do the same thing and call it another name. Same musicians, but different group name.

The record industry was primarily in New York, London and Detroit in the late '50s and early '60s. Then there was a surge towards the mid-60s that pushed the recording to the West Coast. So these musicians were recording around the clock for a good 8 years. The heyday for this group was in 1967 when the charts turned to the West.

The Wrecking! Crew...
The Wrecking Crew was a group of studio musicians in Los Angeles in the 1960s who played on hits for the Beach Boys, Frank Sinatra, Nancy Sinatra, Sonny and Cher, Jan & Dean, The Monkees, Gary Lewis and the Playboys, Mamas and Papas, Tijuana Brass, Ricky Nelson, Johnny Rivers and were Phil Spector's Wall of Sound. The amount of work that they were involved in was tremendous.

They were also involved in groups that I like to call the Milli Vanillis of the day. A producer would get the guys in and lay down some instrumental tracks. If it became a hit, they would record an album and put a group together to go on the road. This happened many times with groups like the Marketts, Routers, and T-Bones. The next day they would do the same thing and call it another name. Same musicians, but different group name.

The record industry was primarily in New York, London and Detroit in the late '50s and early '60s. Then there was a surge towards the mid-60s that pushed the recording to the West Coast. So these musicians were recording around the clock for a good 8 years. The heyday for this group was in 1967 when the charts turned to the West.

Watched this about a month ago. If you liked it don't miss Muscle Shoals

Sent from my iPhone using Early Retirement Forum

I watched "Fed Up" last night. Its a good documentary on the increasing obesity in the US.

I watched "Fed Up" last night. Its a good documentary on the increasing obesity in the US.
I'm not sure I could watch that as I live in obesity land. McAllen TX has the highest obesity numbers in the US, and it's really noticeable when you return from having been in Europe for a month!

But thanks for the reference - I still might check it out. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fed_Up_(film)
NY Times Review: http://www.nytimes.com/2014/05/09/m...villains-in-the-battle-of-the-bulge.html?_r=1

I know about the incredible stuff the average American eats and the proliferation of fast food restaurants and massive quantities of sugary sodas consumed, etc. We've observed it for decades.

We live completely outside of that zone. No sugary sodas. No fast food restaurants. Very little junk. And we have for decades. So we don't identify with the food issues personally, but we see so many people around us who are part of that horrible diet world.

Last edited:
Another vote here for Broadchurch, I thoroughly enjoyed it.

We finally watched Broadchurch. Super well done! It was hard to stop watching.

I'm a big David Tennant fan anyway and he was great in this. He went a bit crazy with his native Scottish accent here - occasionally unintelligible.

First time I've watched a murder mystery series where all 8 episodes was one case. Made it more like a novel.

Series 2 is 2015, so maybe that will show up before too long.

Last edited:
I don't use Netflix, so I'm not sure if the movie is even available. But I own the DVD and just watched it the other night and laughed my behind off.

The movie is titled 'let it ride'
It's from the mid to late 80s & stars Richard Dreyfuss, David Johansen, Jennifer Tilly, and the fat guy from Wings.

If you have any interest in betting on horses, you'll love it even more.

We finally watched Broadchurch. Super well done! It was hard to stop watching.

I'm a big David Tennant fan anyway and he was great in this. He went a bit crazy with his native Scottish accent here - occasionally unintelligible.

First time I've watched a murder mystery series where all 8 episodes was one case. Made it more like a novel.

Series 2 is 2015, so maybe that will show up before too long.

I'm pleased that you liked it. Fingers crossed that series 2 shows up on Netflix soon. (it was shown in the UK early this year)

Back
Top Bottom