Netflix movie or show suggestion

I watched "Fed Up" last night. Its a good documentary on the increasing obesity in the US.
Watched this last night and highly recommend it. I learned a lot about obesity and the recent history of nutrition in the US of A. Learning that rats will choose sugar over heroin is enlightening.

We watched "Danny Collins" Friday night- no idea what to expect but really enjoyed it. Al Pacino, Annette Bening, and Jennifer Garner.

Not Netflix but Amazon Prime video: Grantchester. I guess it was on PBS Masterpiece earlier this year? Great acting (always love Robson Green) but more importantly it deals with social issues in postwar Britain in a gentle , thoughtful way. Not at all in the soap opera style that Downton Abbey morphed into after the first season. IMHO of course. :)

Sent from my iPhone using Early Retirement Forum

So I finally watched Barbarella. Teen boy dream movie I guess. It was actually pretty good, if you are in the mood for late 1960s sci fi and seeing a young Jane Fonda nekkid.

We were scraping the barrel a bit after being flooded in for four days, what can I say?

A classic. I particularly liked the see through plastic bra cups.

So I finally watched Barbarella. Teen boy dream movie I guess. It was actually pretty good, if you are in the mood for late 1960s sci fi and seeing a young Jane Fonda nekkid.

We were scraping the barrel a bit after being flooded in for four days, what can I say?

Hopefully the water pulls back soon and you're able to restock.

I just started watching Luther, another BBC series. Edgy, very enjoyable so far.

2001: A Space Odyssey just showed up on stream. Was on DVD only.

I finally rented Mad Max, Fury Road. This is a movie better watched at a real theater, but I did learn some tips for dealing with aggressive drivers.

I recall on of my kids who watched referred to it as the worst movie ever. Given the original.... it sounded about right to me.

The Borgias on Netflix

I couldn't get into it at first. But recently I have been working on photos I took of Renaissance castles in France and they inspired me to start watching again, particularly as the visual presentation of the series is fantastic - outstanding sets and costumes. Everybody looks like they stepped out of an Italian historical painting and the locations look like many buildings I have visited.

Starting out season one the dialog seemed a bit silly and pretentious. But after a few episodes, the series really took off. I came to appreciate some of the actors a lot more.

Season Two - and wow, they really kicked it up a notch - actors and plots. The episodes are imaginative and riveting! Really great stuff.

They play fast and loose with plenty of the historical details in the interest of a good plot line - yet on the other hand, they really present a lot of important historical things of the times. The broader historical events are more or less correct.

This is a fascinating time period - the beginning of the Italian Wars (1494-1498) - started by an invasion by French King Charles VIII, really changed the history of the rest of Europe in significant ways. The French took back with them the Italian Renaissance art and artisans - what I saw in our visits to the French Chateaux. It was also the time of the discovery of the new world, and upon returning from their defeat of the Kingdom of Naples, the French brought back and spread an extremely virulent form of syphilis to the rest of Europe. The French called it the Neapolitan Disease, the rest of Europe called it the French Pox. Savoranola is preaching Fire and Brimstone in Florence, especially against the corrupt church, but Martin Luther has not yet posted his 95 Theses on the church door in Wittenburg (1517). So Europe is just on the cusp of the reformation that will provoke major political changes and wars over the next several centuries.

Last edited:
The Borgias on Netflix

I couldn't get into it at first. But recently I have been working on photos I took of Renaissance castles in France and they inspired me to start watching again, particularly as the visual presentation of the series is fantastic - outstanding sets and costumes. Everybody looks like they stepped out of an Italian historical painting and the locations look like many buildings I have visited.

Starting out season one the dialog seemed a bit silly and pretentious. But after a few episodes, the series really took off. I came to appreciate some of the actors a lot more.

Season Two - and wow, they really kicked it up a notch - actors and plots. The episodes are imaginative and riveting! Really great stuff.

They play fast and loose with plenty of the historical details in the interest of a good plot line - yet on the other hand, they really present a lot of important historical things of the times. The broader historical events are more or less correct.

This is a fascinating time period - the beginning of the Italian Wars (1494-1498) - started by an invasion by French King Charles VIII, really changed the history of the rest of Europe in significant ways. The French took back with them the Italian Renaissance art and artisans - what I saw in our visits to the French Chateaux. It was also the time of the discovery of the new world, and upon returning from their defeat of the Kingdom of Naples, the French brought back and spread an extremely virulent form of syphilis to the rest of Europe. The French called it the Neapolitan Disease, the rest of Europe called it the French Pox. Savoranola is preaching Fire and Brimstone in Florence, especially against the corrupt church, but Martin Luther has not yet posted his 95 Theses on the church door in Wittenburg (1517). So Europe is just on the cusp of the reformation that will provoke major political changes and wars over the next several centuries.

That's good to know. I may revisit it now. I enjoy period films more than any others as a rule, but I just couldn't get into this one. May have to just struggle through a few episodes.

Time Lapse
Pretty fun little time travel movie.

Primer
HORRIBLE HORRIBLE time travel "movie". ( the worst thing I have ever tried to watch on Netflix)...boring, poorly made, acted, written, directed...just awful. AVOID IT!

Sent from my iPad using Early Retirement Forum

Watching the UK version of The Office. Two seasons are available.

I don't know if it has been mentioned in one of the 591 posts to this thread, but "Chef" is an undiscovered jewel.

"Mad Max: Fury Road" was fantastic. It's way better than it needs to be for what it is.

My recommendation is "Ex Machina." It's on Netflix (in Canada at least - I presume the US too). It's a bit of a slow burn, but it's the best AI movie I've ever seen. If you're at all interested in technology, and the implications of AI on the future, it's definitely worth a watch. Very entertaining.

I subscribe to this thread as I'm more into watching movies than tv series but have to say that many suggestions so far, I'm unable to get though Netflix Canada. Pricing has gone up this month for new subscribers, (Oct/2016 for existing) but we still pay the same as US. Netflix yet we have much less content.

This simply isn't fair and I'm jealous. :( I'm gonna go cry for a minute. :mad:

I subscribe to this thread as I'm more into watching movies than tv series but have to say that many suggestions so far, I'm unable to get though Netflix Canada. Pricing has gone up this month for new subscribers, (Oct/2016 for existing) but we still pay the same as US. Netflix yet we have much less content.

This simply isn't fair and I'm jealous. :( I'm gonna go cry for a minute. :mad:

Try this:

https://www2.unotelly.com/home

Time Lapse
Pretty fun little time travel movie.

Primer
HORRIBLE HORRIBLE time travel "movie". ( the worst thing I have ever tried to watch on Netflix)...boring, poorly made, acted, written, directed...just awful. AVOID IT!

Sent from my iPad using Early Retirement Forum

For a good time travel movie try "Predestination" with Ethan Hawke. Trippy premise and some decent acting.

Back
Top Bottom