Netflix Symbolism

Route246

Recycles dryer sheets
I'm 67 and plan to retire next year. We are many times FI and I'm not working for the money (obviously). I have this concern about shutting down and adjusting to retirement. I'm working through that now and plan to leave at the end of Sept 2025 due to some RSU vesting, while leaving a substantial amount on the table.

I have a major personal S/W project goal to achieve and I am also going to spend a lot of time on the air at all hours of the day and night as an amateur (ham) radio operator. I also have many big and small home improvement projects planned and I am also planning on restoring a car (advantage of having a project car with FI is budget is not a concern and if something is expensive it won't be constraining). It has been my dream all of my life to do a project car with many possibilities of a 1960s or 1970s car from my youth and formative years.

I titled this thread "Netflix Symbolism" because many (too many) of my retired friends seem to have become couch potatoes addicted to their TVs watching Netflix and other addictive entertainment. No criticism of Netflix, the content is obviously good and addictive and they should be rewarded for delighting their customers. I've had a strong work ethic my entire life since high school. When I was in high school I had a night job being a computer operator which was a plum job for an engineering student at the time (1970s). I continued that job throughout my university years until I graduated and started my career as an engineer. During that time I missed out on a lot of popular TV shows that my friends would always be raving about, like Charlie's Angels, a show that I never got to watch because I was working. As a night computer operator I was more addicted to radio and really liked local sports, Larry King and Bruce Williams.

How many of you know retirees who have degraded into unhealthy couch potatoes? It is a cringe-worthy fear of mine for myself as I approach shutting it down. I see too many friends who have become this without even worrying about the detrimental effects it can have on their brains and health. I'm not trying to judge as this is a personal choice just like smoking, drinking, drugs, overeating, gambling and philandering is. It is just not for me.

Funny thing is, many self-recognize this degeneration and laugh about it.

I think it’s good that you have projects planned for your retirement. Maybe you should print out your post and hang it on the wall as a reminder to yourself.

I’ve been eyeing the kit cars made by factoryfive.com and while I never managed to get my ham radio license, I have an RTL-SDR so I can listen with no license.

Good luck

Route246, congrats on your impending retirement and the great planning you’ve done to transition to a busy and fulfilling retirement.
I know a few retirees who have fallen into this couch potato scenario and they see nothing wrong with it. I don’t understand their attitude as if they worked all their lives to deserve this leisure activity. Years before I retired, I vowed that if this would ever be my plight I would NOT retire.
I’ve been retired a bit less than a year and I can say I am thankfully busy with consulting work (for my old company), volunteer work for several organizations as well as a few hobbies. I never turn on the TV (even to watch AM news programs) during the day.
Some of my friends who are not yet retired, I fear will fall into this couch potato category and perhaps that’s why they continue to work.
Best of luck.

Route246, congrats on your impending retirement and the great planning you’ve done to transition to a busy and fulfilling retirement.
I know a few retirees who have fallen into this couch potato scenario and they see nothing wrong with it. I don’t understand their attitude as if they worked all their lives to deserve this leisure activity. Years before I retired, I vowed that if this would ever be my plight I would NOT retire.
I’ve been retired a bit less than a year and I can say I am thankfully busy with consulting work (for my old company), volunteer work for several organizations as well as a few hobbies. I never turn on the TV (even to watch AM news programs) during the day.
Some of my friends who are not yet retired, I fear will fall into this couch potato category and perhaps that’s why they continue to work.
Best of luck.

Thank you. Nothing really wrong with any choice, even if sub-optimal for one's health. Just not for me. My other goal is to not gain weight.
I think it’s good that you have projects planned for your retirement. Maybe you should print out your post and hang it on the wall as a reminder to yourself.

I’ve been eyeing the kit cars made by factoryfive.com and while I never managed to get my ham radio license, I have an RTL-SDR so I can listen with no license.

Good luck
Ham license was done at my wife's urging after she saw the complexity of the exam questions. Brain issues runs in my family and she told me if I passed all three elements I could have budget to buy a rig and antenna. I passed all three and got my rig(s) and antenna(s). I just need more time to get on the air. I've already made 15,000+ contacts in 134 countries but haven't been on the air for over a year due to being too busy.

I've been retired going on ten years. I was never much of a TV watcher, it just doesn't interest me. Over the years people have told me about TV shows almost in the sense that these are real people and/or events. I have too many things happening in my life, volunteering, taking classes and working my interest in plants. I don't have any of the paid streaming services. If I really want to watch something I can usually find a documentary on one of the free services (Kanopy or Freevee) or possibly PBS. I don't worry about becoming a couch potato.

I’m 64 coming up on 7 years retired, not totally my choice. My belief is that people don’t retire and “ become” couch potatoes. They were already TV/couch addicted potatoes before retirement.
I’ve never seen any episodes of so many iconic TV shows, Cheers, Seinfeld, Friends. Don’t even know the themes of those shows.
While working I did restore two, cars, learned to play old-time fiddle and banjo. Worked out endless hours.
It sounds like you have the same disease I have “can’t sit stillism”. I like to do stuff…you do too!
I did kind of like to watch “Fast and Loud”. In one commercial break Richard says “why you sittin here watching TV? Get out in the garage and build something!”
Incidentally, restoring a car will cost more than buying one already restored. Don’t ask how I know.
Of course if you buy a resto you miss out on a lot of fun/challenge.

We are watching Netflix right now. lol
However I play Pickleball 6x weekly which takes up a lot of time plus the cardiovascular and socializing effects.
We take many short car trips, lots of entertainment, etc.
No coach potato here.

I figure retirement is time to do whatever it is you like. Many don't even get that chance.

I figure retirement is time to do whatever it is you like. Many don't even get that chance.

I agree with this. Life is short and retirement is even shorter, and however someone wants to spend that time is fine (as long as it's legal!).

I'm personally still quite active - lift weights, swim, walk, projects around the house, driveway/backyard sports with the kids, etc. But - almost seven years into retirement - I notice I spend more time "relaxing" or "unwinding" (e.g. listening to music while enjoying an adult beverage). I'm sure as time passes I'll be less active and more "relaxing", but that's just part of life for most people. And while I can't see myself ever becoming a true couch potato, I've learned to never say never lol. I guess the key to a happy retirement is doing what you want when you want (and that will vary for each person).

We are watching Netflix right now. lol
However I play Pickleball 6x weekly which takes up a lot of time plus the cardiovascular and socializing effects.
We take many short car trips, lots of entertainment, etc.
No coach potato here.
Dtail, it’s Friday evening so it’s ok to watch a bit of TV . I just watched Unfrosted, the new Jerry Seinfeld comedy on Netflix. Not a great movie but the cast and the time period references to the early 60s were hilarious!

I think people watch a lot more TV than they ever claim to on the internet. lol

My tv might be on but usually my mind or hands are elsewhere. More time is spent reading. Either researching on the I-net or proofreading a book. Proofreading has been a nice distraction, keeps my mind working better and pulls in a bit of spending money. That's my couch potato side. At the cabin I'm usually outside doing something physical, cutting and splitting wood, riding Rzr's, walking.

I'm an evening couch potato, but keep very active during the day. I rarely ever turn the TV on before 8pm.

Last time I thought of this issue, the amount of time left is limited. Retirees make decisions and go from there. There are a large variety of topics here, like, "What are you watching?"

Putting off retirement doesn't guarantee better results. But individuals make their decisions and I respect that.

I’m 64 coming up on 7 years retired, not totally my choice. My belief is that people don’t retire and “ become” couch potatoes. They were already TV/couch addicted potatoes before retirement.
I’ve never seen any episodes of so many iconic TV shows, Cheers, Seinfeld, Friends. Don’t even know the themes of those shows.
While working I did restore two, cars, learned to play old-time fiddle and banjo. Worked out endless hours.
It sounds like you have the same disease I have “can’t sit stillism”. I like to do stuff…you do too!
I did kind of like to watch “Fast and Loud”. In one commercial break Richard says “why you sittin here watching TV? Get out in the garage and build something!”
Incidentally, restoring a car will cost more than buying one already restored. Don’t ask how I know.
Of course if you buy a resto you miss out on a lot of fun/challenge.
Thank you for the inspiring words. I don't get to spend much time in my shop but it is fully decked out to do a resto project and ready to go. I have a 72" Snappy cab full of tools (3 other tool cabinets, too) I've acquired in the last 50 years waiting to get used. I still do basic stuff but since we currently only have late model vehicles there isn't much to do anymore, but you would know that. Neighbor retired a few years ago and is doing a complete project on a '72 Datsun 510 transforming it into a track-ready FAR Performance (local shop instead of the more popular BRE in SoCal) Trans-Am car. He's 5 years into it and it still sits on blocks after full tear down but he is having so much fun. He is also an amateur extra (inactive) ham. He told me the same thing, be prepared to spend a lot of money to do this.

Thinking about this, I do watch a lot of live sports on TV (streaming on computer or phone, virtual TV) and I do watch quite a few special interest YouTube channels but I'm always multi-tasking when on computer or phone. I'm one who doesn't consider reading as a couch potato activity as that requires intellectual processing to read and ingest words, nor do I consider listening to music, either as that is more like meditation. I guess it is the visual addiction part of it that I find threatening for myself since I do view it as an addictive behavior if it becomes habit-forming.

This is not meant as criticism or judging people. I don't look negatively on anyone who makes choices and gains weight or doesn't seek stimulation, I just realize it is not a healthy choice for me and I try to avoid those negative self-behaviors if I can.

To me, Netflix is like chocolate chip cookies. I could be very easily addicted to both and both could lead to detrimental outcomes. These are just symbols and as I approach retirement I realize that I need to enhance my chances of a longer, more productive final years of life.

Unless you already have a project car, check out the kit cars offered by Factory Five Racing. They offer both street and racing kits. You supply the engine, transmission and rear axle.

I have to admit, I’d fallen into the habit of paying to get the oil changed in my pickup because because removing the skid plate was a hassle. Was charged $118 yesterday for oil change so I’m back to diy.
Sedan is too low to the ground for me, may need to buy some ramps.
Was just telling wife how thankful I am for modern cars. No points to change, plugs last 100k nice tight steering. Modern radial tires are heaven sent!
I have no judgment of others not doing this stuff. However, I know how I acquired my FIRE.
Also, I have to admit, I plan to watch a couple of hours of Netflix every night..”together time”.
Just know if you do a kit car you won’t smash as many fingers or get as dirty as you will with a restoration…boring!

I have to admit, I’d fallen into the habit of paying to get the oil changed in my pickup because because removing the skid plate was a hassle. Was charged $118 yesterday for oil change so I’m back to diy.
Sedan is too low to the ground for me, may need to buy some ramps.
Was just telling wife how thankful I am for modern cars. No points to change, plugs last 100k nice tight steering. Modern radial tires are heaven sent!
I have no judgment of others not doing this stuff. However, I know how I acquired my FIRE.
Also, I have to admit, I plan to watch a couple of hours of Netflix every night..”together time”.
Just know if you do a kit car you won’t smash as many fingers or get as dirty as you will with a restoration…boring!
I stopped changing my oil years ago but that was after we installed pavers on the driveway and it my wife would kill me if I spilled oil on them. LOL.

Regarding ramps, I have two different sizes of Race Ramps which are very pricey but lightweight and safe. I also insert jackstands, just in case, when I'm crawling under the vehicle.

I smashed my right index finger this weekend working in the shop and drew quite a bit of blood and range of motion is a bit stiff but I don't think anything is broken. Sore as heck, sensitive as heck but it will heal up quickly with a little aloe vera and fresh air. That's life. Kinda don't mind in a sick kind of way.

Our cars are late model so they don't need much except for oil changes and tires. I finally fired up the exotic car that sits in the garage to pickup some takeout food this weekend. Sounds sweet as ever, burble tune switch lets out some really nice flames from the exhaust during downshifts and it definitely wakes up anyone sleeping in the neighborhood, even at lower speeds. My wife hates this car and says it makes her sick because the ride is so stiff which is perfect for me. I've been researching importing an older R34 GTR from Japan but the logistics are a bit of a hassle since it would ship to LA which is 7 hours south of here. There are quite a few for sale there and with the strong dollar not so expensive. I just don't know how much I can work on one of these and parts would be a challenge as many of the NISMO parts are only available in Japan. I'm leaning towards a British car now, maybe a TR6, Spitfire or Mini (a real one, not the new fake one).

I've often dwelled on what I call "MTV Babies"...kids who grew up with constant TV at their disposal during the 90's MTV craze...and beyond. I know a lot of people who center their free time around binge watching, and have my whole life. I like a balance. DW prefers to binge.

Grandma lives at Ma and Pa's now and she watches LOTS of TV. Not too many folks left to conversate with at age 93. She says she is "ready" but still gets around albeit with some pains and aches.

I plan to spend more time doing things myself that right now I have been paying for service companies to deal with. I want to learn to play more music, and sing a little better. Learn a new laungauge. For some reason I feel like I will run out of time and one reason I am desperately squirreling away at 43 to end it early and buy my time back.

Congratulations on your upcoming retirement. As many have stated on the forum--it is important to retire TO something. Sounds like you have many plans to keep you busy.

I think that the fact that you're aware of the "risks" has you more than halfway there. Make plans to keep busy in stuff you enjoy and you'll be just fine. A little Netflix along the way won't kill you either!

Back
Top Bottom