New backyard pool - good or bad idea?

You might consider either a standalone spa or a swimspa. I think we might have gone the swimspa route if we hadn't bought a house with a pool. Another option would be consider a "spool" which is a very small pool with a spa. Those can work fine with limited space. That said -- 1/4 acre really isn't limited space. The house we are buying is .3 acres and has a fairly large pool and there is still plenty of backyard.

A pool is much like a boat, they're great when your neighbor owns one!

DW and I (empty nesters) are thinking about installing a pool in our small backyard. We live in the deep south so we'd get several months usage from it and we don't plan on moving anytime soon, if ever. I do wonder what I'd have to do with the pool if we were to go away for 1-3 months.

Just curious what others' experiences have been. If you installed a pool, any regrets? Any 'gotchas' to be aware of?

Had a pool years ago. Don't ever want another one. It was a hole in the ground I poured money into.

It was great at first and the family really enjoyed it, but like all things the new wore off and it was another thing to maintain.

I can see getting a hot tub... much less maintenance. No more pool however...

DW loves to swim daily May to October when water is over 85 degrees. We live in south Texas.
We put up a round Doughboy 25 years ago.
Upgraded to a large in ground 2 years ago with an in-floor cleaning system.

Budget for a pool service unless you enjoy tinkering with it.

I insisted on having a pool when we were house hunting last year. DH did not want one, argued against it, but lost.

Guess who uses the pool more than I do?

I went through this 2 years ago and have a post floating around here somewhere. I'll be brief.

- we are early 60s and in PA
- I have had pools all my life and our above ground was about at end of life (end of safe life).
- I did not want another above ground pool. The liners aren't of great quality and I did not want to risk flooding out our neighbors house.
- We got estimates and planned for an in-ground pool. Came very close to pulling the trigger.
- Once I started adding up all the related installation expenses, we started to rethink.
- 8 years ago my Dad got sick with cancer, then Mom got sick with cancer and then dealing with their passing. We went 3 seasons without opening the pool. It was VERY hard to bring the pool back to normal.
- A local lady lost her husband and began to get dementia. Their inground pool went green and unmaintained. They are very hard to deal with when you are done with them.
- Life happens and the pool will likely take a back seat. We are trying to make our house MORE maintenance free - not less.
- We have had a hot tub for dozens of years. The first year without a pool it became a "cool" tub. That was ok - but missed the HOT tub.
- Last summer I got one of those Easy Set pools and LOVED it. It was enough to cool off with and do some exercises in. That was really all I needed it for. Looking forward to my little pool again this summer.

We do not do our own pool maintenance. I don't know anyone who does here in Mexico. And while we don't have a pool at our FL home, plenty of our neighbors do, and all of them use a pool company. I don't think they charge very much.

If I were farther north in the US than NC, I would not bother with a pool as the season would be too short. Lived in Northern VA for 30+ years and the few families we knew with pools said it wasn't worth having one.

Back
Top Bottom