New bed

20 years ago my chiropractor said the only bed he will buy is a Sleep Number. Impossible to wear out unless you can no longer get the parts. Our king was 17 years old and my ex took it. I bought a queen where the head goes up for when I have issues with my asthma or am sick with a respiratory illness. I have been in 8 car accidents as well as numerous falls so I have significant back/neck issues. My new bed pumps up around me when I lay down. It’s a feature my older bed didn’t have. You can use it or turn it off.

I was sold on a Tempurpedic mattress the night that I spent at a Holiday Inn that had Tempurpedic mattresses. I woke up the next day feeling 100% better than I usually would - no typical aches and pains - and when I returned from my trip, we bought one the next day and have loved it ever since.

The point being that some hotels will feature specific brands of mattresses and you can actually try out one of the beds you want to consider before you buy. Next time you're traveling, ask if they have any special mattresses, or you can Google hotels that feature Tempurpedic (Hilton, Marriott, and many more, just ask) as well as Sleep Number (Radisson) beds - and others like Simmons (Four Seasons). Lots of hotels sell their bedding. Here's an article that might help: https://cboardinggroup.com/11-best-hotel-beds-where-to-buy-that-hotel-mattress-you-loved/

Uh, could you just get a single/twin sized memory foam topper and just put it on your side of the bed? It may look wonky but would resolve the discrepancy in your opinions perhaps.
That’s what we have, the memory foam topper is on my side, not DW. Since we have a comforter on top, you can’t even see the “wonky” until you pull back the covers. FWIW

As an aside, the Sleep Number we had featured individual firmness controls on each side. But we still couldn’t make it work due to hammocking.

My tempurpedic is 13-14 years old now. Was a small fortune when I bought it but cured my lifelong back issues. Still good but a bit softer. Have since bought several other foam mattresses, for a 2nd home that is also an AirBnB rental, of the “Bed in a Box” variety. All have been good for sleeping. Some with box spring others without. Super easy to get and put in place until you open the bag they come in. Can’t say I have found much difference between the brands we purchased.

That’s what we have, the memory foam topper is on my side, not DW. Since we have a comforter on top, you can’t even see the “wonky” until you pull back the covers. FWIW

As an aside, the Sleep Number we had featured individual firmness controls on each side. But we still couldn’t make it work due to hammocking.

Which model you you have? Did you notice the hammocking right away or did it develop over time? Are you average build? Our current mattress is sagging significantly and the sleep quality is horrible. I’m debating a temperpedic vs sleep number knock off.

Last edited:
Ten minutes doesn’t translate to how we’ll feel after 8 hours sleep. Believe me, I wish it did.

Agree 100%. For me, going to a store and trying them out is basically pointless. The back pain (if the mattress is not up to snuff) starts after 4-5 hours.
Then again, I realize that SOME folks (the lucky ones!) do get away with a 5 minute "test drive"

Last edited:
My parents are actually doing one of those "if you don't like it in 100 nights, send it back" returns.

They got a softer version of my mattress, and after about a month, Dad says his back is hurting. And it's really too tall (14") for their bed frame, making them almost have to climb into bed.

No questions from the company beyond a short survey, and a local service is going to pick it up for donation to Habitat this weekend, full refund.

They kept their old mattress just in case, and will now start shopping again.

Which model you you have? Did you notice the hammocking right away or did it develop over time? Are you average build? Our current mattress is sagging significantly and the sleep quality is horrible. I’m debating a temperpedic vs sleep number knock off.
Hammocking was an issue from day one, it was a top of the line Sleep Number model at the time. If you think about the construction of a bag of air or foam (latex, memory foam, etc.) - there’s nothing to prevent them from behaving like a hammock. If there’s not something to provide more support in the middle, that will be the low point for the sleeper regardless of how firm or soft. The pic below demonstrates the only way hammocking can be avoided - greater support in the middle or lumbar area. Our current innerspring hybrid mattress has a firmer “lumbar zone” with more support across the middle to counteract hammocking - and after over two years I can confirm it’s been effective.

BUT, how you sleep also has everything to do with the choice as well. If you’re a back sleeper, hammocking may not be an issue at all. If you’re a stomach or side (me) sleeper, and your mattress isn’t firm enough (or without added lumbar support), hammocking will be an issue, especially for a stomach sleeper.

Best of luck, but again mattresses are a very individual thing. Don’t follow my example, I’ve made several mattress mistakes.

Attachments

• 58E13E45-860E-4AA5-8B00-0985425D3B20.jpg
    58E13E45-860E-4AA5-8B00-0985425D3B20.jpg
    229.2 KB · Views: 34
Last edited:
We bought the Casper Cali King Adjustable bed in 2018. We have been very pleased with it.

I heard of Casper when Braumeister mentioned it in an earlier thread. I started researching it then. My friend then mentioned that they bought one and they loved it.

We spent 12 days at Christmas at our daughter's house. My DH said that he was so glad to get back to his bed when we got home.

Hammocking was an issue from day one, it was a top of the line Sleep Number model at the time. If you think about the construction of a bag of air or foam (latex, memory foam, etc.) - there’s nothing to prevent them from behaving like a hammock. If there’s not something to provide more support in the middle, that will be the low point for the sleeper regardless of how firm or soft. The pic below demonstrates the only way hammocking can be avoided - greater support in the middle or lumbar area. Our current innerspring hybrid mattress has a firmer “lumbar zone” with more support across the middle to counteract hammocking - and after over two years I can confirm it’s been effective.

BUT, how you sleep also has everything to do with the choice as well. If you’re a back sleeper, hammocking may not be an issue at all. If you’re a stomach or side (me) sleeper, and your mattress isn’t firm enough (or without added lumbar support), hammocking will be an issue, especially for a stomach sleeper.

Best of luck, but again mattresses are a very individual thing. Don’t follow my example, I’ve made several mattress mistakes.

That’s really helpful. We are trying to decide between a sleep number knockoff that is very similar but more modular. But it doesn’t have the head/lumbar/feet specific adjustability. But I’ve been also looking at air-pedic, which is the picture you linked above.

We’ve looked at the legget and platt adjustable base that has a lumbar support feature, but not sure if it will help with this issue or not.

I dunno. Wifey and I spent an hour laying on different mattresses at the store a month ago. Got 2 Sealy Posturpedics (Cal King and Queen) medium firmness and all is well.

Back lay, side lay, other side lay. Talk a lot, go back and do it again, try some more to see the range, go back to the favs, do it some more, back, both sides, again and again.

Very happy with our mattresses.

Back
Top Bottom