New Car Shopping-Rav4?

OP here.

Bought the Mazda CX-50 today. About the same price as the Rav-4. 0.9% financing for 3 years, with a $500 rebate IF you finance, basically 0% since the interest will be less than $500.

Still figuring things out, but a couple of things I like:

- blue tooth apple carplay
- the screen is NOT touch screen unless you are stopped and in carplay (safety)
- the screen controls are a convenient knob right by your right hand and the screen is located in the drivers line of sight. Using it takes some learning, but I already like it better than the touch pad in DW's RX350.

I'll update after some more driving. Coming from a 2012 entry level Altima, I got some learning to do.:D

OP here.

Bought the Mazda CX-50 today. About the same price as the Rav-4. 0.9% financing for 3 years, with a $500 rebate IF you finance, basically 0% since the interest will be less than $500.

Still figuring things out, but a couple of things I like:

- blue tooth apple carplay
- the screen is NOT touch screen unless you are stopped and in carplay (safety)
- the screen controls are a convenient knob right by your right hand and the screen is located in the drivers line of sight. Using it takes some learning, but I already like it better than the touch pad in DW's RX350.

I'll update after some more driving. Coming from a 2012 entry level Altima, I got some learning to do.:D

I understand why some auto mfg make it so the car must be stopped to use the touchscreen for safety reasons. But I've owned cars that worked both ways. It was always very annoying when using the navigation system for directions somewhere, and needing to change the destination for some reason. Wife sitting next to me that can safely make the change, but touchscreen won't let her unless I pull over and stop. I guess when you consider the general driving public, it's a good thing. Goes along with seatbelt alarms I guess.

Your comments about the Lexus NX 300 and a new noise in DW's 2011 Rav4 got her to look at the NX 300. DW's concern is loss of storage capacity due to putting the spare tire under the rear floor. 2011 had the spare mounted on the back. Is space an issue?

Minor question: Can you connect your Android phone to the screen and have it display what is on the phone or do you have to use the paid programs on the car?

We were coming from a Subaru Crosstrek so the cargo space is virtually identical. The Rav4 does have a little more cargo space. The newer Rav4 has the spare mounted under the cargo floor as well. For just the 2 of us and our 2 dogs the space is fine. It comes with Apple Carplay and Android auto so you can connect your phone to the screen. WiFi is a monthly charge.

Oh and another thing, the NX uses 91 octane gas for the turbocharged 2.0 engine. Consider that too in comparing models.

I understand why some auto mfg make it so the car must be stopped to use the touchscreen for safety reasons. But I've owned cars that worked both ways. It was always very annoying when using the navigation system for directions somewhere, and needing to change the destination for some reason. Wife sitting next to me that can safely make the change, but touchscreen won't let her unless I pull over and stop. I guess when you consider the general driving public, it's a good thing. Goes along with seatbelt alarms I guess.

With CarPlay I can change the route, or cancel, or start a new one, with verbal instructions. So far the voice commands have worked well.

Consider the Audi A4 allroad. Comfy, fast, allwheel drive - 265 horsepower

We are looking at new compact SUVs. DW has a 2011 Rav4 The Lexus NX 300 and RX350 have a high console that interferes with DW's elbow. Both are out. The Honda CRV is out because the seat cushions have sides that crease DW's legs. DW does not like the Mazda, the Ford's, the GM/Chevrolet SUVs. BMW is less than the Lexus but DW views it negatively. I am leaving out a few other models.

Looks like we are going for the 2023 Rav4.

Anyone have the seat and console issues with the above models?

We are looking at new compact SUVs. DW has a 2011 Rav4 The Lexus NX 300 and RX350 have a high console that interferes with DW's elbow. Both are out. The Honda CRV is out because the seat cushions have sides that crease DW's legs. DW does not like the Mazda, the Ford's, the GM/Chevrolet SUVs. BMW is less than the Lexus but DW views it negatively. I am leaving out a few other models.

Looks like we are going for the 2023 Rav4.

Anyone have the seat and console issues with the above models?

You need to show her the Volvo XC-40 with the crystal shift knob. That sold my DW on the model.... :blush:

$42,000 to $50,000? Hybrid adds about $10k more? EPA mileage 23/30? Is that about right?

Except for the all-electric Recharge all the XC40 models come with a hybrid engine and start at ~$37K, I'm sure one could get to $50K with options. MPG is not good for a small hybrid SUV. The bigger Toyota Highlander hybrid gets much better MPG's than that and is in the same price range.

When I bought my RAV4 hybrid it was approximately $800 more than a non hybrid. I am referring to the official Toyota sticker price.

We are seeing about $3k difference. Plus DW hates the whining the Rav4 hybrid engine makes when backing up.

She has not opined on the crystal knob.

Plus DW hates the whining the Rav4 hybrid engine makes when backing up.

FWIW (not much), the noise isn't from the engine as the car is virtually silent when only the electric motor is operating. It's coming from a small speaker usually located near the front of the car.

To ensure that pedestrians will hear electric and hybrid vehicles coming, the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration requires these vehicles to emit sounds ranging from 43 to 64 decibels when they are moving at less than 18.6 mph.

We are seeing about $3k difference. Plus DW hates the whining the Rav4 hybrid engine makes when backing up.

She has not opined on the crystal knob.

Have you driven both the hybrid & gasoline-only versions?

From what I've read online people find the hybrid powertrain much smoother & less noisy.

At least when not backing up. :)

My 2016 Rav4 Hybrid is 100% silent in reverse. Just a guess, but the noise you hear in reverse is to warn others around you - as a safety feature.

Have you driven both the hybrid & gasoline-only versions?

From what I've read online people find the hybrid powertrain much smoother & less noisy.

At least when not backing up. :)

DW has driven both. The noise from the hybrid is not acceptable. Noise from the non-hybrid is.

We went with a fully electric VW ID.4. These are being produced in a brand new factory in Chattanooga and we had to wait 4 months. However, I was surprised how reasonable the pricing was - we got a fully loaded AWD which is by far the nicest car we have ever owned and it was $54,000 BUT we got to deduct $7500 federal and $1500 utility incentives. So yeah, $45,000 but we really like the car. You could also get the pricing into the 30s if you got a RWD or a lower trim. I am also charging it with our solar system.

We have put 4000 miles on it so far and it has been flawless.

We went with a fully electric VW ID.4. These are being produced in a brand new factory in Chattanooga and we had to wait 4 months. However, I was surprised how reasonable the pricing was - we got a fully loaded AWD which is by far the nicest car we have ever owned and it was $54,000 BUT we got to deduct $7500 federal and $1500 utility incentives. So yeah, $45,000 but we really like the car. You could also get the pricing into the 30s if you got a RWD or a lower trim. I am also charging it with our solar system.

We have put 4000 miles on it so far and it has been flawless.

As a tax payer, you're welcome:D

I am going to buy a new car to replace my 11 yo Altima.

I want a smaller SUV and the Rav4 is my first choice. Looks like Toyota is back logged about 4-8 weeks to get what I want. No dealing, but no dealer "adjustment" either. On site stock is limited. Price for what I want will be just under $36k, all in.

What other options would folks suggest. The Mazda CX-50 is in stock nearby, and you can get any color, as long as you want a black for the interior.

Other ideas?

I don't NEED the car any faster, so I can wait if needed.

Thoughts?
I haven't read the whole thread, but just went through this exercise finding a car for my daughter. For us the Hyundai Tuscon was our first pick, and what I ultimately purchased for her.

There were no Rav 4's in stock near her.

Edmunds loves the Mazda, but I've never owned one and wasn't willing to experiment. This is our second Hyundai.

The Honda website sucks so I gave up on the CRV.

Bought a 2020 RAV4 Hybrid. Absolutely love it. No issues yet(knock on wood).
Got 43.1 MPG on a trip to Indianapolis last Labor Day weekend.

How were the US Nationals?

Just about the only thing I don't like about my '12 RAV 4 is it rides a bit like a log wagon. I find myself trying to miss potholes and even man way covers. Our dearly departed '99 CRV was much more comfortable to ride in. I hope they've fixed the RAV 4's ride quality in later models. If I live long enough to wear out my '12, I'll likely be looking for another RAV 4 (or possibly a CRV.) YMMV

Just about the only thing I don't like about my '12 RAV 4 is it rides a bit like a log wagon. I find myself trying to miss potholes and even man way covers. Our dearly departed '99 CRV was much more comfortable to ride in. I hope they've fixed the RAV 4's ride quality in later models. If I live long enough to wear out my '12, I'll likely be looking for another RAV 4 (or possibly a CRV.) YMMV

Even on the new ones, the ride quality is harsh and the seats are hard. Reducing the tire pressure a few PSI helps, but doesn't really mask the problems that the low profile tires with stiff sidewalls and firm spring and strut tuning creates.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom