New Costco store just opened nearby, what items do u like to buy at Costco.

Yea, that is a big one. I feel like everything I buy there has more or less an infinite warranty, though I don't abuse it.

I agree with all of the prior postings about great stuff to buy there, but their warranty policy paid off for me last year.

I bought a rather high end desktop gaming PC from Costco online. I turns out that their supplier, I believe it was CyberPower PC, was playing games to meet the pricing. The PC offered a K-series Intel CPU. The K means it is overclockable. But to meet the price point they went with a low-end motherboard that did not support overclocking. So in the end, they were charging the overclocking premium without providing overclocking capability. CyberPowerPC clearly knows better if you look at their website.

I returned the PC locally. They asked for the reason for the return, it wasn't actually defective and clearly they didn't really understand the issue, but took back a $1600 PC without any real hassle.

I then proceeded to build my own PC once again.

The nice thing about trying a Costco membership is that if you buy one and decide after a while you aren’t going to use it, they will refund you!

Some locations that allow non-members to shop for liquor have a separate section/entrance for that purpose.

I don't shop there. We went there once, to look around. It was frightfully crowded. The HUGE parking lot was nearly full. It may (or may not?) be cheap, but I didn't see any huge bargains on anything I wanted. Overall we thought it was a tremendous hassle so we haven't been back.

Blow That Dough. I guess I am trading the possible price difference for convenience and more serene surroundings.

Nobody goes there anymore, it is too crowded.

I joined Costco solely for the hearing aids. Renew the membership for the free annual hearing checkup, free hearing aids "tuneup," and the savings on the hearing aid batteries themselves. Equally important, buying those batteries is separate from the monster general lines to buy everything else.
Whatever savings might be available by buying 200 tubes of toothpaste at one time just isn't worth it to me for those lines. I'll happily "blow the dough" by shopping at my local supermarket. But, I do question whether my local supermarket really is more expensive.

Last edited:
Some locations that allow non-members to shop for liquor have a separate section/entrance for that purpose.

That’s due to state liquor laws and varies. However you can still go into the regular store for beer and wine AFAIK.

My two closest Costco stores are in different states, and the differences are noticeable. Apart from very different layouts inside, one has the separate liquor section with its own entrance, the other doesn't.

Each one also carries (regularly) some items the other one doesn't. So when I want a particular product, I have to remember which one has it.

A bit surprising that a huge national chain like this has these small pockets of non-standardization, but certainly not a problem.

That’s due to state liquor laws and varies. However you can still go into the regular store for beer and wine AFAIK.

The ability to purchase alcohol at Costco without a membership does vary according to state law. Many states prohibit requiring a membership to purchase. According to Kiplinger...

...non-members can purchase booze at Costco in the following states: Arizona, California, Colorado, Connecticut, Delaware, Hawaii, Indiana, Kentucky, Massachusetts, Michigan, Minnesota, New York, Texas and Vermont.

Gas
Toilet paper
Paper towels
Laundry and dishwasher detergent and softner
Swiss mini chocolate
Bananas
Cat litter
Bird feed
Batteries
Better than bouillon
Montreal chicken seasoning
Terra Delyssa olive oil
Turmeric advanced
and miscellaneous other things including clothes and household items.

We have also bought their wall mounted kitchen fan, kitchen sink faucets etc

Last edited:
Cruises (sometimes) , You have to compare but sometimes their price on a cruise after accounting for cash card mailed back to you and OBC's make them cheaper.
That's not counting the 2% rebate as an executive member.

Note: I will not use their Citi credit card for travel anymore (it did earn 3% on travel and still does) but it has no cancellation insurance as they removed it.

Everyone has already mentioned many of the other things I buy there.
Which card do you prefer that includes cancellation insurance?

Whatever savings might be available by buying 200 tubes of toothpaste at one time just isn't worth it to me for those lines. I'll happily "blow the dough" by shopping at my local supermarket. But, I do question whether my local supermarket really is more expensive.

200 tubes of toothpaste!

The lines at my Costco are not that bad if you know when to go there. Friday afternoon and most weekends are long line days. But, they also are long line days at my local Supermarket. I have found my time to go to Costco and I normally have only one or two people in line ahead of me, and their carts are not filled to overflowing.

Some stuff is cheaper at the local Supermarket, but many things are not among them: organic flour, almond flour, batteries, descent wines, vanilla flavoring, clothing, and, of course, the rotisserie chicken. OTOH, there are many things I want just one of that Costco does not carry - like pistachio pudding. But, then again, my local supermarket doesn't carry it either.

Costco is great because what it does, it usually does well. If it doesn't do what I want, then I go elsewhere. What else is new?

Nuts
Craisins
TP
Batteries
Golf gloves
Socks, boxer briefs
Shorts
Yard and kitchen trash bags
Chicken, cooked and raw
Any beef or pork
Halibut in season
Coffee
Salad
IBP
Toothpaste and floss
Cereal
Paper towels
TV's

Nuts
Craisins
TP
Batteries
Golf gloves
Socks, boxer briefs
Shorts
Yard and kitchen trash bags
Chicken, cooked and raw
Any beef or pork
Halibut in season
Coffee
Salad
IBP
Toothpaste and floss
Cereal
Paper towels
TV's

What's IBP? Ibuprofen?

I joined Costco solely for the hearing aids. Renew the membership for the free annual hearing checkup, free hearing aids "tuneup," and the savings on the hearing aid batteries themselves. Equally important, buying those batteries is separate from the monster general lines to buy everything else.
I definitely plan to join if/when I need hearing aids! I have read here and elsewhere that Costco is terrific for affordable hearing aids and hearing exams.

Right now, my hearing seems OK although I have a hard time hearing Frank if he is talking while I am standing next to and operating my (very loud) garage door opener. But otherwise no problems. If/when I begin to have more obvious hearing problems than that, I want to address them right away. I just don't want to tolerate much of any lessening in my hearing capability. Also the idea of wearing hearing aids does not embarrass me since I am such an introvert about everything.

Years ago my husband's audiologist told him that when you have a hearing deficit not having hearing aids increases the risk of permanent damage. Evidently, using hearing aids has been proven to actually keep your hearing abilities sharper and delay the natural progression of hearing loss over time. His audiologist has advanced degrees and was recommended by his PCP - and she has been hard of hearing since childhood.

My husband's hearing aids (from Kaiser Permanente) blue-tooth to his phone. Super convenient!

Last edited:
My husband's audiologist told him that when you have a hearing deficit not having hearing aids increases the risk of permanent damage. Evidently, using hearing aids has been proven to actually keep your hearing abilities sharper and delay the natural progression of hearing loss over time.

I've never seen a study that comes to that conclusion. Do you happen to know where she got that from?

I've never seen a study that comes to that conclusion. Do you happen to know where she got that from?

I don't have a link right now, but I've heard of this as well. I believe it has to do with the brain processing that has been discussed. The longer you go not hearing these sounds, apparently the more the brain 'forgets' how to process them.

It's not a physical damage thing, it just an un-learning, as I understand it.

I also had to "argue" a bit with my MIL and FIL - his hearing aids would feedback, and I kept telling them that's not good. That loud sound in his ear (you could hear across a not-so-quiet room) could be doing further damage. They figured f he couldn't hear it, it can't be hurting him, but I think it is still physical damage. Just like if you had no feeling in your hand, it is still damaged by scalding water,

Plus, I'm sure that level of squeal was saturating the output (electrically) and distorting or completely masking any other input, and he would not be aware of it. Bottom line, a hearing aid that is often feeding back is not working properly. I think they finally found out his was plugged up (common), so it kept going super-loud to compensate.

-ERD50

200 tubes of toothpaste!

The lines at my Costco are not that bad if you know when to go there. Friday afternoon and most weekends are long line days. But, they also are long line days at my local Supermarket. I have found my time to go to Costco and I normally have only one or two people in line ahead of me, and their carts are not filled to overflowing.

Some stuff is cheaper at the local Supermarket, but many things are not among them: organic flour, almond flour, batteries, descent wines, vanilla flavoring, clothing, and, of course, the rotisserie chicken. OTOH, there are many things I want just one of that Costco does not carry - like pistachio pudding. But, then again, my local supermarket doesn't carry it either.

Costco is great because what it does, it usually does well. If it doesn't do what I want, then I go elsewhere. What else is new?
Where we go lines are not long except on weekend afternoons, and quantities are manageable as we divide many things in half.

I have been to the one in Atlanta where a giant parking lot was always full and the store packed. So I’m sure it depends on location.

Never saw 200 tubes of toothpaste!

Hearing aids :(
Another vote for hearing aids (assuming you need them). Good products and great service. Plus, they provide complimentary supplies (but not batteries).

Other Costco favorites:
- Kirkland Vodka. DS is the bar connoisseur in our family and he tells me that the Kirkland vodka is excellent.
- 5-Layer Dip. I don't recall the brand, but our Costco had an incredible 5-layer dip that we loved. But, it has not been there the last couple of weeks. If it's been discontinued, I'll be crushed.
- Appliances. We bought our stove through Costco. The price was comparable to our local big box store, but delivery, set up, and haul away was all all included.
- Travel Services. Costco members get some nice perks by going through Costco's Services arm. Car rentals are always unlimited mileage and a second driver are always included at no additional charge.
- Gasoline. Gas at Costco is usually .10 to .25 cheaper than anywhere else around us. With 2 vehicles, the savings on gas at Costco pays for our annual membership.

Also, the Costco Visa is a good deal...2% at Costco, 4 % for gas, and 3% for travel.

I don't think the costco card is a good deal for travel anymore. They have eliminated most of the travel benefits, like cancellation insurance, etc.

Sure you get the 3% but other cards give close to that and have trip insurance, lost baggage, etc, events that will cost a lot if they happen.

I definitely plan to join if/when I need hearing aids! I have read here and elsewhere that Costco is terrific for affordable hearing aids and hearing exams.

+1

No Costco membership here as a Sam's membership has met all my warehouse club shopping needs to date. However, that may change.

I ordered a set of tires during a Sam's Club sale last week and have an appointment Tuesday to have them installed. I also made an appointment to have my hearing checked while I wait for the tires. If that test indicates I could benefit from hearing aids I plan on getting a second opinion via a Costco hearing test. If that confirms I need hearing aids I will purchase a Costco membership to take advantage of their more affordable and highly rated services.

Last edited:
FYI, my husband has Kaiser Permanente Medicare Advantage with a hearing aid benefit and purchased his latest aids there. A friend purchased her hearing aids from Costco. In terms of customer service hearing aids from Costco wins hands down!

Back
Top Bottom