New furnace cost?

My Aunt who is about 77 told me she replaced her igniter herself !! :cool:

I was pretty impressed as she didn't ask for help or anything. !

Yep, a standard 80% forced-air gas-fired furnace like mine & in the video posted is a fairly simple device.

One thing the OP should watch for in a few more years is a dirty flame sensor.

Mine had to be cleaned last year but with natural gas it was only a little carbon buildup on the outside which came off easily via a light rubbing with steel wool, rinsed with rubbing alcohol, then allowed to air-dry.

Apart from a clogged or cracked heat exchanger I could replace everything DIY.

My Aunt who is about 77 told me she replaced her igniter herself !! :cool:

I was pretty impressed as she didn't ask for help or anything. !

My DD replaced the igniter on her oven (very similar to a furnace igniter), she described the problem to me, sent me a youtube she was going to follow, I said, yep, looks good.

She got it done, no problem.

-ERD50

Great !!

Glad to hear it was just that, as a furnace normally can last 20 years with a few minor repairs.
Mine is from 1986. I have replaced the limit switch and the power cut-off switch and all other parts are original. I did replace the two intake filters once a year and added mineral oil to the motor before every winter.

I am just waiting for the heat exchanger to leak and with my luck, it will trigger the CO alarms during a big snow storm.

Mine is from 1986. I have replaced the limit switch and the power cut-off switch and all other parts are original. I did replace the two intake filters once a year and added mineral oil to the motor before every winter.

I am just waiting for the heat exchanger to leak and with my luck, it will trigger the CO alarms during a big snow storm.

That is pretty incredible. I do use 20 yrs as a mental number to feel I've gotten my value out of it.

Ours is just over 20 yrs old, but I replaced the motor about 10 years ago, after the A/C pan dripped water all over the motor :eek: For $125 I got it working again.
Did get my arm trapped and thought about the guy that ended up cutting off his arm to get free, but I was able to pull my arm out and have the scar to prove it :(

https://abcnews.go.com/Health/jonathan-metz-connecticut-man-trapped-furnace-amputated-arm/story?id=10921443

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom