New member from the midwest

happy2bretired

Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
Hi, I have been lurking here since my retirement last spring after 31 years with the federal government. I was under CSRS so I have a pension. My husband and I lived below our means for our 20 years of marriage saving as we went. We built our new little house in 1999 getting ready for our retirement. We decided that I could retire at 55 at the end of 2006. Everything was looking rosy - then my husband died. I could not face working until the end of 2006 so I took the plunge and retired in the spring. Even though it was a big decision so soon after my husband died, I have NEVER regretted that decision. I really enjoy reading this board. You don’t know how much you have helped me over the last year – not just with financial tidbits, but also with some good laughs.

happy2be, welcome to the forum. I'm very sorry to hear about how you got to FIRE, but I'm very happy you've found this board to be helpful.

h2Br,

Welcome aboard, and very sorry to hear about your loss. Your CSRS pension will give you a little more lattitude to take some risks with your investments (if you want/need to) compared to an individual without a solid pension.

h2b
welcome. same neck of the woods. we're still trying to clear the walks and driveways. nice part is that we'll be out skiing as soon as it clears up, and spring is right around the corner.

tio z

Welcome,
I'm also a widow so let me just say it will get easier .Time is a great healer .

Moe

Sorry to hear of your loss. Welcome aboard. I think you will find a laugh or two here; I know I sure have!

Welcome happy2bretired. I just joined the other day too.
Congratulations under difficult circumstances. Family losses also contributed to my decision to retire early.

Welcome from me also. My condolences on your loss. The really big things that happen in life can't truly be planned for. But I'm confident you did the right thing by retiring under your CSRS plan, no matter what the rest of your lifeplan works out to be. I'm a CSRS retiree as well, there are a few of us "conventional" retirees left ... and I enjoy it more everyday. Hope you find some conversations which interest you.

Welcome to the group. I recently delurked myself. Not only will you find good advice and food for thought here, but this is a really nice group of people. Something about being able to retire when you want to makes people so gosh darn happy!

I echo everyone else's feelings about your loss. This is a great (and very well informed) group of people. I know you'll benefit from it. I have alread and I expect to learn a lot more before I take the plunge, both about the boring but important stuff ($$$) and the fun stuff (travel) Welcome aboard.

Back
Top Bottom