New Observation... days/holiday weekends get fuzzy

The only reason I know what day of the week it is is my pill dispenser.

I was out for a while on short term disability and got to that point. Pretty relaxing not stressing about what day it was. One day I looked at the calendar and saw I had a doctor’s appointment 3 weeks away and thought to myself “you’re stifling me!”

LMAO.... DW throws stuff at me almost daily when I ask.. "What Saturday is this?"... We went camping this past weekend, and Got home unloaded the camper and called it a day...
Well today Im thinking its tuesday since its the 2nd day shes gone to work.

The only reason I know what day of the week it is is my pill dispenser.

Brings up an important point regarding keeping track of days. If I forget an appointment, I'm embarrassed. If I fail to take needed medications, it could be a health crisis.

My mom got where she wouldn't remember to even look at her pill dispenser. Eventually I had to stop by and watch her take her pills. I often thought there should be some sort of timing device that would dispense pills and sound an alarm until the pills were taken. Of course, folks can always evade technology if they're determined.:( YMMV

I have a couple of the La Crosse atomic clocks that include the day of the week in the display. I have to glance at them occasionally to determine what day of the week it is...

I almost bought myself one of these upon retirement, but opted not to in the end:

717MRqf8SmL._AC_SX466_.jpg

+1

Perhaps I'm an outlier here, but we structure the midweek different than the weekend, so Friday is still exciting, as is Saturday and Sunday.

During the week we volunteer and have a variety of structured activities - bridge, music lessons, gym days, golf lessons, tennis lessons, language lessons. We do long, multi hour walks, hikes, and bicycle rides. Plus that is when we do chores and schedule appts.

On the weekends, beginning with Friday night, we play. We drink alcohol on the weekends, we meet friends, we dine out, we attend theater and concerts, we entertain, we do social hikes and bike rides.

I like that after 12 years FIRE'd, the weekends continue to be exciting in a different way than midweek. In fact, so busy, fun and exciting, Mondays are now our 'Thank goodness we can rest!' day.

Perhaps I'm an outlier here, but we structure the midweek different than the weekend, so Friday is still exciting, as is Saturday and Sunday.

During the week we volunteer and have a variety of structured activities - bridge, music lessons, gym days, golf lessons, tennis lessons, language lessons. We do long, multi hour walks, hikes, and bicycle rides. Plus that is when we do chores and schedule appts.

On the weekends, beginning with Friday night, we play. We drink alcohol on the weekends, we meet friends, we dine out, we attend theater and concerts, we entertain, we do social hikes and bike rides.

I like that after 12 years FIRE'd, the weekends continue to be exciting in a different way than midweek. In fact, so busy, fun and exciting, Mondays are now our 'Thank goodness we can rest!' day.

I tend to agree with you. I get all my chores/appointments/responsibilities taken care of during the week so that I can relax and have fun on the weekend. I still love that TGIF! feeling.

Yesterday the weather lady gave the forecast for the long weekend, which took me by surprise. It was the first time that I had forgotten it was a long weekend. Guess I am really retired.

Last week I had some errands to do specifically on Friday.
While drinking my morning coffee one day I realized it was only Thursday. I thought oh good. I still have another day until Friday.
I never thought that while I was working.
I’ve only been retired for 5 months. It didn’t take long to lose track of the day of the week.

Your confusion between Thursday and Friday reminded me of how I got all confused between those 2 days once last year.

In my co-op apartment complex, I had been doing my laundry on Friday mornings for many years. But I had to switch it to Thursday mornings when I had something else I had to do on Friday mornings for a while. But when that other Friday morning activity switched to earlier in the week for a few months, I considered resuming my laundry on Fridays. I was going to make that switch but one week when I did my laundry on a Thursday, my mind thought it was Friday anyway. It wasn't until I had finished the laundry that I realized it was only Thursday. I thought to myself, "Wow, I now have an 'extra' day this week because it is not yet Friday!" :D

If my laptop computer did not have a clock and calendar on the righthand side of the taskbar, I'd never know what day it was!

And so, I'd never know if I really DID take my pills that day or not..... :D :dance:

Which reminds me: Saturdays are when I fill my pillbox. :greetings10:

I'm looking forward to adding to the confusion....
DW is looking at going to 4/10s a week, and can pick her days off.
Friday then Monday... that gives us 4 day weekends every other week...

I'm looking forward to adding to the confusion....
DW is looking at going to 4/10s a week, and can pick her days off.
Friday then Monday... that gives us 4 day weekends every other week...

Megacorp tried that (allowing individual divisions or departments to adopt 4-10s if they so desired.) My dept. tried it. There were a couple of issues. 1) Folks "of a certain age" found 10 hours too long a w*rk day. 2) Since we did not use time cards/time clocks it was discovered that some folks abused the flexible start/stop times (w*rking less than 10.) 4-10s lasted about a year. YMMV

Megacorp tried that (allowing individual divisions or departments to adopt 4-10s if they so desired.) My dept. tried it. There were a couple of issues. 1) Folks "of a certain age" found 10 hours too long a w*rk day. 2) Since we did not use time cards/time clocks it was discovered that some folks abused the flexible start/stop times (w*rking less than 10.) 4-10s lasted about a year. YMMV

Where I worked, the older folks were the workaholics (folks that weren't workaholics got out of the business or were pushed out in the wild business cycles we experienced).

Funny story about 4/10's: Management was 100% convinced people were taking advantage and not working the 10 hours since the garage was emptying out by 4 pm. So they put in traffic counters for a week to gather the data, that way they could really lower the boom.

The traffic counters showed that everyone except management arrived by 5:30-6 am (folks had to coordinate with overseas offices). Management moseyed in at 8 and hadn't noticed. Never heard another peep complaining after that.

Hmmm, I wonder why?

After all, isn't the goal of management to work less by having people under you work more?

Where I worked, the older folks were the workaholics (folks that weren't workaholics got out of the business or were pushed out in the wild business cycles we experienced).

Funny story about 4/10's: Management was 100% convinced people were taking advantage and not working the 10 hours since the garage was emptying out by 4 pm. So they put in traffic counters for a week to gather the data, that way they could really lower the boom.

The traffic counters showed that everyone except management arrived by 5:30-6 am (folks had to coordinate with overseas offices). Management moseyed in at 8 and hadn't noticed. Never heard another peep complaining after that.

Yeah, unfortunately, we documented the problem in the hourly workers. The "exempt" (professionals or whatever you choose to call them) spent 45 or 50 hours as usual - some even coming in the 5th day if need be. :facepalm:

Back
Top Bottom