New Role - Need Advice

Congrats - especially if you pursue titles. I’m a software engineer and rose up through the ranks into Senior roles just below CTO/CIO titles and at some Fortune 500 companies (which would trump any C suite roles at most companies). Title meant nothing to me personally and I was awarding very well financially and retired at 49.

I get your point about LBYM because I have always done that as well. More importantly, it bugs me when people expect me to “cover their expenses” because I am “rich”. My parents… my siblings… my kids… my ex… neighbors… etc. I started working hard when I was 8 years old (and on a farm) and I worked my (insert bad word here) off. Got a CS degree (paid for it myself) and worked hard and maneuvered into great roles.

Best of luck

I agree with those who say just do not bring it up. It is easy to mistake your pride as bragging. It is easy to mistake their responses as jealousy or envy. In all of my promotions the only one I told was my DW, since it meant a change in our income. If folks ask what I did, I would just say I worked for <Megacorp>, in a technical/management/consulting role (depending on my job at the time).

The place it is probably fine to put your role (if you use it) is on LinkedIn.

I think people are surprised at the news and responding jokingly saying the first thing that they think. Buy your parents dinner unless they are horrible people.

So Munger is right, it is envy?

Congrats!

I’d keep doing what you’ve been doing and ignore others. I find that people will think what they want and there’s little you can do about that. Hopefully you have people in your life that will be happy for your accomplishment. And I would pick up the check for your parents.

I agree about jealousy. We lived in a +55 MHP that only had carports, so our cars were visible.
I gave my 2013 Hyundai to our grandson, and DW's 1998 Cadillac died.We showed up with 2 new cars, and every time someone would comment, I would just mumble something about car payments.
The truth of the matter was it was the first car DW ever paid cash for.

Back
Top Bottom