No-Load MF Investor Newsletter

LOL I think I see where THIS one is going...
nowhere unless someone points to some links that show statistics of the effectiveness (or the opposite) of these newsletters. John C. Bogle says that to beware of MF newsletter in his book "Bogle on Mutual Finds".

Never heard of it. You don't need a newsletter unless you will be "trading" MF's, which might be OK with ETF's, but MF's?

Morningstar.com provides lots of free info to get started, and you can pay for their premium service if you want more analysis.

Never heard of it. You don't need a newsletter unless you will be "trading" MF's, which might be OK with ETF's, but MF's?

Morningstar.com provides lots of free info to get started, and you can pay for their premium service if you want more analysis.

Lets make sure we're talking about the same thing. Here 's a link to the site. The No-Load Fund Investor, Welcome

$199 for 12 issues a year, but apparently highly regarded. No opinion on it.

I believe most people who invest in mutual funds (like me :)) don't actively trade in them--they pick the funds they feel meet their requirements and asset allocation, and let the fund manager do the trading of the holdings within the fund. So using Morningstar as mentioned above or other sites to scope out a fund's profile, etc., would meet most people's needs.

My father subscribed to it for several years back in the 80s, but I don't know if it influenced his investment choices.

Lets make sure we're talking about the same thing. Here 's a link to the site. The No-Load Fund Investor, Welcome
You might want to check Mark Hulbert's ranking of newsletters:
The No-Load Fund Investor, Welcome

It looks like Hulbert found six other newsletters that did better over the long term. But I can't tell you whether any of them were worth the price, or whether they'd beat out a cheap index fund.

Active investing adds the drag of higher expense ratios and short-term capital gains taxes, and newsletters are notoriously lax about comparing after-tax returns to a passive diversified portfolio.

Read it for years, primarily for the model portfolios constructed by Sheldon Jacobs. Jacobs had a very good reputation for following true no load funds and creating model portfolios for three types of investors.

This newsletter is now published by Mark Salzinger who also manages money privately.

It is unclear to me that the portfolio recommendations are independent of Salzinger's private money management business. The timing models are interesting, but I find the portfolios to be a bit too aggressive.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom