No Longer RE'ed

GravitySucks

Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
After seven and a half years of retirement, I am no longer an early retire.
I turned 62 yesterday. That was my and DW's [RIP] expected retirement date.
Now I'm just FIR.

Since my Megacorp set the employee retirement age at 65, I'm not considering myself FIR until then. :D

When I read the title, I thought this was going to be a post about an ER who had gone back to work. I was already formulating a reply to congratulate you on being honest, as I suspect many who retire, then go back to work, do so without announcing it in the various forums.

Now I discover that you have actually advanced to a deeper level of retirement. You are most definitely a lifer now. Congratulations!

Shortly after my ER I met a couple about my age at a local class with the parks and rec. At lunch, getting to know each other, I was asked "So what do you do?" after already relating my age of 57 (at the time). The response to my answer of "I'm retired" was an incredulous, "But you're not 62 yet!!" Took me a bit to comprehend why the age of 62 was so important. I guess some folks can't imagine the possibility of retirement without taking SS as early as possible.

When I FIREd at 50 i used to hear "You're too young to be retired!" constantly. I mentioned to DW the other day that it's been awhile since anyone has said that to me. She responded that it's been awhile since I was too young for anything. Having said that, the last 14 years have been magic, and I have no regrets.

The really sad part is that I still don't get carded, even when I go into Costco during senior hours.

What a happy and reflectful day for you. Happy belated birthday. What did you do for yourself?
So sorry for your loss.

I’m 54 and I just tell people I’m on a long-planned sabbatical pursuing some different career interests than what I’ve done for 28 years, which I’m not ready to talk about yet. It makes me interesting and mysterious 🧐.

Congrats to the OP!

When I FIREd at 50 i used to hear "You're too young to be retired!"

We get that all the time. Many don't understand how it's possible to retire early with all the monthly bills. But then again many people don't understand basic arithmetic.

What a happy and reflectful day for you. Happy belated birthday. What did you do for yourself?
So sorry for your loss.
DGF took my out for oysters, beer, and steak at my favorite restaurant. They've opened patio dinning in what was an ugly alley. Now a very nice patio.

When I FIREd at 50 i used to hear "You're too young to be retired!" constantly. I mentioned to DW the other day that it's been awhile since anyone has said that to me. She responded that it's been awhile since I was too young for anything. Having said that, the last 14 years have been magic, and I have no regrets.

The really sad part is that I still don't get carded, even when I go into Costco during senior hours.
I miss that too.
It's been awhile! [emoji1]

I was always a bit sheepish about claiming ER since I didn't R until 58. After 15 years now, what does that make ME - besides old? I assuage my conscience by recalling that I was FI at 51. YMMV

Once one is early retired, they always retired early and that's that.

Outstanding!!! I wish you well.

Gosh, is my status going to change soon then? DH already started Medicare!

Once one is early retired, they always retired early and that's that.

I like that answer!

Yeah, no more “too young” comments for us either!

Er'd at 50. Pension at 55, etc etc. Now next year the ten year govt. contract CRP runs out. So I mentioned perhaps I should go back to work - farming of some sort at age 78..

heh heh heh - DW laughed so hard tears came to her eyes and she had to sit down. 'City boy!!' :LOL: :LOL: :facepalm:

Did you farm it before?

I was RE'ed back in 2018. No longer RE now, I took an offer from previous mega Corp and back working since last June. When I finished the contract with them, it would be just right not RE :)

Did you farm it before?

No. Wife grew up on the farm. - Off to college and 30 thirty years at mega corp. Farm was kept in CRP for the last ?40 or so years.

I grew up in logging country near Mt St Helens and don't know spit about farming.

Heh heh heh - hence the illusion that I could easily pick it up. :facepalm:

We get that all the time. Many don't understand how it's possible to retire early with all the monthly bills. But then again many people don't understand basic arithmetic.

I tried to understand arithmetic, but it just did not add up.

I suspect many who retire, then go back to work, do so without announcing it in the various forums.

I made a few posts at about this time last year, as I was wrestling with the decision. My boss had turned into the Boss From Hell and I was offered a package to leave. I took it, fully intending to RE. I had a 3 month break and then felt myself starting to fall into a depression, but was recruited back to work at another company and have been mostly glad for it. The last few months have been "work from home" which the company would have never dreamed of allowing pre-Covid. So I have all the satisfaction of the work (which I do still enjoy), but no commute and very few meetings. Also had a fairly major health scare for which good corporate insurance was a godsend (I would have been on the prior employer's COBRA otherwise).

Still, every now and then I can feel my BS bucket filling up. So who knows how long this will last.

Back
Top Bottom