Not So Fast-Here We Go Again

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm at the "out of 'darns' to give" about these people. Even though they could negatively affect others and possibly me and my relatives, I no longer have the mental energy to keep being concerned about them and their ilk. The best I can do is 1) hide out 2) not be personally responsible for infecting my 95 year old mother (who still lives independently). I cancelled our trip to see her, and now other siblings want me to go with them to visit her.
I agree, except we ALL get to pay for the health care of everyone infected, no choice. But it's the same with many other poor choices our fellow citizens may make...sigh.

One more time for those in the back:

Rally, Convention, etc. Let's leave political events out of this thread in order to keep enjoying it.

I assume this also applies to the protests? I don't really care "who" is causing the problem by having large social gatherings - I just care about the ramifications of doing it.

We're now starting to see a spike in a few counties in SW Ohio, some due to outbreaks in workplaces and nursing homes.

State begins to combat 'worrisome' increase of COVID-19 cases in Southwest Ohio

The spike in cases in Clark County was attributed to a hot spot at the Dole Fresh Vegetables plant in Springfield, where at least 200 employees tested positive for the virus.

DeWine also said that a part of the increase has been attributed to a visiting minister going from church to church. He didn't give details on how many cases are because of that minister.

I agree, except we ALL get to pay for the health care of everyone infected, no choice. But it's the same with many other poor choices our fellow citizens may make...sigh.

The 'poor choices' phrase reminded me how similar, IMO, the facemask and social distancing arguments are to the motorcycle helmet requirements arguments that occur in States without motorcycle helmet laws. Except that brain damage from a motorcycle crash doesn't get spread to the rest of the population.

I'm at the "out of 'darns' to give" about these people. Even though they could negatively affect others and possibly me and my relatives, I no longer have the mental energy to keep being concerned about them and their ilk. The best I can do is 1) hide out 2) not be personally responsible for infecting my 95 year old mother (who still lives independently). I cancelled our trip to see her, and now other siblings want me to go with them to visit her.

Can you visit her outside physically distanced?

We're now starting to see a spike in a few counties in SW Ohio, some due to outbreaks in workplaces and nursing homes.

State begins to combat 'worrisome' increase of COVID-19 cases in Southwest Ohio

DeWine also said that a part of the increase has been attributed to a visiting minister going from church to church. He didn't give details on how many cases are because of that minister.
Honestly, around here church gatherings causing outbreaks are my biggest concern. Folks here are very religious. I just hope they figure out how to worship together safely.

Can you visit her outside physically distanced?

That would be the way to go. My brother who lives near her does that, and will also drive her places. She is good with the mask routine. I'm 1000 miles away and high risk myself so travel right now is not good. The trip would have to go through TX and OK and MO. Who knows what I would catch there!

Honestly, around here church gatherings causing outbreaks are my biggest concern. Folks here are very religious. I just hope they figure out how to worship together safely.
I enjoy going to the meetinghouse and singing in the choir as much as anyone, but I am unlikely to do either anytime soon. My church has been conducting video services on Sunday mornings since the beginning of March.

I enjoy going to the meetinghouse and singing in the choir as much as anyone, but I am unlikely to do either anytime soon. My church has been conducting video services on Sunday mornings since the beginning of March.

Same for my Church. My Church plans to have outside services once our state moves to phase 3 AND our virus numbers start dropping. Even then we will not have singing.

I have a theory about why people make poor choices.

You can go party for several hours with hundreds of people without social distancing and without a mask. Go to marches, protests, etc, again, with thousands of people. Despite that, you are still fine. It's because nobody around you happened to be infected. There you go. So you keep on doing what you have been doing. Walking around getting close to people, chatting away, saying this virus thing is totally overrated. I personally know no one who's been infected or sick. Do you? Then one day, you are chatting away with a super spreader. You laugh, she laughs, talking loud, having a good time.

And there you have it. You feel like you are coming down with a bad case of flu a couple of days later. Oops!

I think that's how it will go for a lot of people. For people who are not socially distancing with no mask, it's perfectly alright for them to be doing what they have been doing as long as everyone around them is covid free. And that can give them a false sense of security, until they hit the jackpot.

Last edited:

'Church tied to Oregon’s largest coronavirus outbreak':

A church in rural northeastern Oregon is now the epicenter of the state’s largest coronavirus outbreak, as 236 people tested positive for the disease, authorities said Tuesday.

The outbreak also led to Oregon’s second consecutive record-setting daily case count...

The largest outbreak, which was first made public Monday, is associated with Lighthouse Pentecostal Church in Union County.

The Observer newspaper of La Grande reported that the church held services in April and May even though Oregon COVID-19 restrictions limited gatherings. Also, The Observer reported the facility recently held a wedding and a graduation ceremony, each with more than 100 people...

Prior to the outbreak, the county had less than 25 cases during the pandemic....

The situation in Florida is starting to look outright scary: https://www.cnn.com/2020/06/18/us/us-coronavirus-thursday/index.html
They also report on other states, and have a video about the FL situation and all the retirees and retirement centers. In related news, NY's Cuomo just said that they are considering banning travelers from Florida - a complete 180 from the situation in early April.

That's almost comical. All those NYers who fled to Florida may not be able to get back.

You can go party for several hours with hundreds of people without social distancing and without a mask. Go to marches, protests, etc, again, with thousands of people. Despite that, you are still fine. It's because nobody around you happened to be infected. There you go. So you keep on doing what you have been doing. Walking around getting close to people, chatting away, saying this virus thing is totally overrated. I personally know no one who's been infected or sick. Do you? Then one day, you are chatting away with a super spreader. You laugh, she laughs, talking loud, having a good time.

And there you have it. You feel like you are coming down with a bad case of flu a couple of days later. Oops!

I think that's how it will go for a lot of people. For people who are not socially distancing with no mask, it's perfectly alright for them to be doing what they have been doing as long as everyone around them is covid free. And that can give them a false sense of security, until they hit the jackpot.

I agree--The virus became much more real and serious to me when several friends became seriously sick with it. This happened early on so I have been much more careful than most people. One friend died and three friends who had the virus are still very sick after a couple of months.

Last edited:

My parents Catholic Church has resumed communion. Ok? But wait there is more.... they will still give a communion wafer on the tongue if that is what the parishioner wants!!!!

Eeew!

Last edited:
I remember when I was a little kid, we used to run around barefoot all the time during hot days ... everywhere. Also, did any of you also try street tar? Yikes!

Obligatory Archer: Do you want ringworm? Because that's how you get ringworm!

I off course got ringworm at least once as a kid. :)

However, if all they get is a bad case of the flu then so what? If they are young they will most likely have a mild case of illness and the coveted antibodies (if that is a future advantage). They will still be justified in saying the virus is an overblown issue. Only if they or someone they have contaminated comes down with a really serious case or dies will the magnitude of the virus become evident.

+1 I gave up on those people a long time ago. They don't care about the affect it has on the entire community/country for their role in the spread of the virus as well as the spread of an irresponsible attitude. As far as I am concerned I hope they will soon be gone from the gene pool for being responsible for the misery and death of many innocent people. Is that harsh? I don't really care. When they are responsible for spreading a disease that could kill me I don't see it any different than running around waving a loaded gun.

Cheers!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom