Not So Fast-Here We Go Again

Status
Not open for further replies.
We're all going out more for take out, eat in car, odds and ends. Most eateries still not open inside or out. Take out only. Rest are done for good me thinks. I'll miss those.

Still got my mask in my pocket and wear it inside, not outdoors.

Maybe I am being a PITA but when people do not wear a mask and do not do social distancing the are much more likely to contract the virus. Those who do contract and get seriously ill end up in the hospital costing the community big bucks for treatment. The mean person part of my personality tells me that they should pay for their treatment or stand last in line for the ICU.

I am getting fed up with the 'who me, not me' masks are not cute class.

I just got a wedding invite for an out of state celebration. . . expecting ~150 guests. The bride to be is a nurse. . . Needless to say I have sent a gift and RSVP of NO.

Maybe I am being a PITA but when people do not wear a mask and do not do social distancing the are much more likely to contract the virus. Those who do contract and get seriously ill end up in the hospital costing the community big bucks for treatment. The mean person part of my personality tells me that they should pay for their treatment or stand last in line for the ICU.

I think that you are misinformed on the bolded part. My understanding is that the cost of their care would be covered by their regular health insurance for those with insurance (employer or Obamacare or Medicare or Medicaid) and under the CARES Act for the uninsured.

https://www.cnbc.com/2020/04/09/heres-what-you-need-to-know-about-coronavirus-treatment-costs.html

Although details are still being worked out, the Trump administration said last week that it will use funding under recently passed legislation to help cover the cost of treating uninsured coronavirus patients — as long as the hospital accepting the government’s reimbursement rate does not bill the uninsured patient for any remaining balance (i.e., “balance billing”).

“The uninsured would be able to go into the hospital without being worried about facing thousands of dollars in hospital bills,” said Karyn Schwartz, a senior fellow at the Kaiser Family Foundation.

However, it’s unclear whether the government’s offer of reimbursement extends only to hospitals or to other providers as well, Schwartz said. That includes physicians who treat a coronavirus patient in the hospital and may not be directly employed by the facility. ...

If your employer plan isn’t among those that’s waiving treatment costs, typical co-pays and deductibles would apply. The average deductible among employer plans is $1,655. For non-group policies purchased through an exchange, the deductible typically is higher: more than $4,500 for an individual and nearly double that for family coverage. ...

However, for those with basic Medicare and no additional coverage — whether through Medicaid, an employer plan or elsewhere — the cost-sharing hasn’t changed.

“There’s been no additional protections added for them,” Schwartz said. “They’re kind of stuck.”

Those recipients would face a $1,408 Part A deductible when they’re admitted to the hospital, although that covers the first 60 days of hospitalization. ...

Governor Ducey changing his tune. He's doing a 180. For someone in denial finally take a stand, facing facts, makes me feel there is hope.

Governor Ducey changing his tune. He's doing a 180. For someone in denial finally take a stand, facing facts, makes me feel there is hope.

If you want to have hope, avoid reading the youtube comments for that video. Yikes!

Our governor has decided to gaffe off the decision on mandating the wearing of masks and social distancing to local leaders. Previously, in his decision to shut down our state, Ducey had stated that a uniform approach to mitigating the virus was essential. He did a 180 alright. :rolleyes:

I suppose this is better than nothing, though it may end up resulting in a confusing patchwork approach around our state with some cities issuing mandates and others not.
I do think the more restrictive policies have to be implemented at a local level because the risks are local. As are most of the resources.

I just found this article that attempts to explain why we're not having a spike in cases in Ohio.

Ohio started reopening six weeks ago, but hasn't seen a coronavirus case surge. Why not?

It's impossible to say for sure now what's contributing to Ohio's plateau or dip in coronavirus metrics.

I agree with the above. :LOL: I'm not sure that the attempts to explain it in the article are sufficient, based on my limited observations. Until very recently, we were one of the worst states for testing with little to no contact tracing, so I don't credit the recent improvements in those areas for the lack of a spike. It's true Ohio didn't reopen everything on the same day, but isn't that true of many states? Some businesses that allow for large numbers of people to gather have just recently reopened, with more to follow in July. Any impact from that should start filtering into the numbers by late July/August.

I don't believe that people in Ohio are any better or worse at following the recommended protocols than people in other states. Among my neighbors, they haven't followed them much at all, from what I've seen.

I attribute my so-far robust immune system to vaccinations and the frequent use of public restrooms. ;)

Never underestimate the cumulative, immunological benefits of playing outside in the dirt as kids. Think of all the surfaces we touched on playgrounds without washing our hands afterwards.

I always ate the rest of my popsicle after dropping it on the ground. :D

I just found this article that attempts to explain why we're not having a spike in cases in Ohio.

Ohio started reopening six weeks ago, but hasn't seen a coronavirus case surge. Why not?

I agree with the above. :LOL: I'm not sure that the attempts to explain it in the article are sufficient, based on my limited observations. Until very recently, we were one of the worst states for testing with little to no contact tracing, so I don't credit the recent improvements in those areas for the lack of a spike. It's true Ohio didn't reopen everything on the same day, but isn't that true of many states? Some businesses that allow for large numbers of people to gather have just recently reopened, with more to follow in July. Any impact from that should start filtering into the numbers by late July/August.

I don't believe that people in Ohio are any better or worse at following the recommended protocols than people in other states. Among my neighbors, they haven't followed them much at all, from what I've seen.

I heard an interview on Fresh Air with an epidemiologists who said they don't know why in some influenza pandemics, the infection and death rate dropped on their own and then came back in a more intense second wave.

So he said be wary that we might have a second wave when it appears for a couple of months that we slowed the spread of infections.

Plenty of COVIdiocy going on here in the Phoenix area as well. Our 29-year-old niece (who fancies herself as an "influencer") posted pics on her social media of a Memorial Day weekend party she and a slew of others attended at a local resort. No social distancing.

Never underestimate the cumulative, immunological benefits of playing outside in the dirt as kids. Think of all the surfaces we touched on playgrounds without washing our hands afterwards.

Interesting. My dog sneezes in my face all the time. And I let him swim in various ponds and lakes, then wipe him down with a towel close to my face.

I'm not sure I knew terms like "bacteria" "virus" growing up. Did I even wash my hands? Oh gosh, we used to share each others gum.

I remember when I was a little kid, we used to run around barefoot all the time during hot days ... everywhere. Also, did any of you also try street tar? Yikes!

The situation in Florida is starting to look outright scary: https://www.cnn.com/2020/06/18/us/us-coronavirus-thursday/index.html
Coronavirus cases are spiking across the country and experts say Florida has the makings of the next epicenter

Florida reported 3,207 additional coronavirus cases on Thursday -- the largest single day count in the state since the pandemic, according to Florida Department of Health. Florida's total reported cases climbed to nearly 86,000, according to data released by the state.
The Sunshine State has "all the markings of the next large epicenter of coronavirus transmission," and risks being the "worst it has ever been," according to Wednesday's projections from a model by scientists at Children's Hospital of Philadelphia and the University of Pennsylvania.
They also report on other states, and have a video about the FL situation and all the retirees and retirement centers. In related news, NY's Cuomo just said that they are considering banning travelers from Florida - a complete 180 from the situation in early April.

Attachments

• Coronavirus in Florida.png
    Coronavirus in Florida.png
    841.7 KB · Views: 38
Last edited:

I remember when I was a little kid, we used to run around barefoot all the time during hot days ... everywhere. Also, did any of you also try street tar? Yikes!

But aren't there also diseases which mostly afflict kids or they're more vulnerable than adults?

The situation in Florida is starting to look outright scary: https://www.cnn.com/2020/06/18/us/us-coronavirus-thursday/index.html
They also report on other states, and have a video about the FL situation and all the retirees and retirement centers. In related news, NY's Cuomo just said that they are considering banning travelers from Florida - a complete 180 from the situation in early April. So no New Yorkers will be able to return from attending the GOP convention in August.

Lots of rural counties in FLA being hit.

But aren't there also diseases which mostly afflict kids or they're more vulnerable than adults?

Absolutely.

What we're having a bit of fun with here is what is known as "The Hygiene Hypothesis". https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hygiene_hypothesis

"[It] states that early childhood exposure to particular microorganisms (such as the gut flora and helminth parasites) protects against allergic diseases by contributing to the development of the immune system. In particular, a lack of exposure is thought to lead to defects in the establishment of immune tolerance."

Maybe if we can back off of the "political rally" example, this thread can last until, and maybe after, the actual event?

(I'm sure there are many other ways to express concern about large numbers of people in a single indoor space)

One more time for those in the back:

Rally, Convention, etc. Let's leave political events out of this thread in order to keep enjoying it.

Will using the term "large organized gathering" do the job? In Oregon the 'large organized gathering' that resulted in the infection of many was a church conducting services with little/no physical distancing. In the coming weeks, we may have increased rates of infection stemming from street protests which are loosely organized. Then there are groups gathering in settings such as bars that have been identified as sources of infection - hardly a political activity.

Let us focus on the activity not the reason for the activity.

While we are dicing and splicing terminology let's start using the phrase "physical distancing" not "social distancing". Those in the social sciences see social distancing as a societal issue while what we need to achieve is physical distancing.

Last edited:
Reactions: jj

One more time for those in the back:

Rally, Convention, etc. Let's leave political events out of this thread in order to keep enjoying it.

I agree. The problem is every decision made regarding this virus circles back to something or someone political at the local, state or national level. My niece went to a big wedding reception over the weekend. I won’t go near her for 2 weeks. I think a mayor or someone had to allow that to happen.

I'm at the "out of 'darns' to give" about these people. Even though they could negatively affect others and possibly me and my relatives, I no longer have the mental energy to keep being concerned about them and their ilk. The best I can do is 1) hide out 2) not be personally responsible for infecting my 95 year old mother (who still lives independently). I cancelled our trip to see her, and now other siblings want me to go with them to visit her.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom