Not So Fast-Here We Go Again

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm not expecting any kind of second wave. .....

If there is contact tracing to shut down outbreaks, there shouldn't be a second wave.

There is not really comprehensive contact tracing in most areas of the US.

Reactions: jj
On a side note, I just had my first uncomfortable encounter with a neighbor who I seldom speak with. She's nice, but she's an absolute chatterbox who barely takes a breath between thoughts and switches topics so rapidly that her one-sided conversation becomes impossible to follow. I only went outside to water my garden. She happened to be walking by on the sidewalk. She came up my driveway and before I knew what was happening, she was within 3 feet of me and asking me about some things in my garden. I didn't want to be impolite. I answered her questions as briefly as I could. She didn't seem to notice that I wasn't actively encouraging conversation. Whenever I backed up a little from her, she moved back in on me to close the distance. I think she's probably always this way, but I didn't notice it much before. It made me think of that neighbor someone here has posted about a few times. I couldn't really focus much on what she was saying. She may have been within 2 or 3 feet of me for 10 to 15 minutes, talking just non-stop. That's the longest I've been in that close proximity to someone outside of my household since Christmas Day. I'm so used to keeping my distance when I can, or just passing people briefly. Maybe I should have asked her what she thought about how all this coronavirus stuff was going? I don't know...

What can’t you simply put your hand palm out (in the don’t come any closer body language) as they approach and say “please stop, I wish to stay at least six feet apart”.

@harllee - We live close by in Cary, and one of the things I started looking at was tracking cases and deaths by zip code. My thinking is that the stats by zip code vs county, gives us a better understanding of risk in our specific area. Probably a false sense of security, I know.

You can get this information near the bottom of the NC DHHS web page :
https://covid19.ncdhhs.gov/dashboard#cases-over-time

FWIW - We are wearing masks, and maintaining social distancing when we go out, regardless of the numbers.

My goal is to change behavior that puts all of us at risk. Is that not a worthy goal?

To snitch is to secretly tell someone of authority that someone has done something bad. Since I have no idea who the person is, and since half the employees were disobeying their employer and violating state policy, I would not be a snitch. I would be informing the employer that their lack of enforcing the policy is violating state regulations and putting customers, including myself, at risk. If I repeatedly see such action, I will have to take my business to the other big box store half a block away, or online.

First, there is actually no health risk to wearing a mask. Your state provides exceptions. These exceptions most likely apply to machinery in the environment, not individual health risk, even though the language indicates otherwise. Your state also requires written justification. I'll see if my state requires it.

From Ohio's (your state) Department of Health website:

Q: Are there exceptions?

A: Yes. Employers and employees are not required to wear face coverings if it is not advised due to health reasons, against documented industry best practices, prohibited for a specific position by law or regulation, or a violation of a company’s safety policy. A face covering also is not required if an employee is working alone in an enclosed workspace or if there is a practical reason one cannot be worn. If any of these exceptions apply, written justification must be provided upon request.

Surely you don't believe that half the employees are exempt from wearing a mask because of a health concern. And if they were exempt from wearing a mask, why were the masks on but over the chin?, which is completely useless?

Second, there really are not health issues that preclude wearing a mask. It does not restrict oxygen supply or diffusion of carbon dioxide away from the person. If masks cause health issues, what about the health care environment, with its PPE and procedures for taking care of infected patients and in the OR?

Is it snitching to call out systematic violations of state health department policy? Of course not.

It's kind of like wearing your pants around your ankles or putting sunscreen on the bottom of your feet--kind of makes one look like a fool. Only this time, the lives of others are at risk.
+100

.... She may have been within 2 or 3 feet of me for 10 to 15 minutes, talking just non-stop. That's the longest I've been in that close proximity to someone outside of my household since Christmas Day. I'm so used to keeping my distance when I can, or just passing people briefly. Maybe I should have asked her what she thought about how all this coronavirus stuff was going? I don't know...

Which way was the wind blowing? I try to position myself upwind in situations like this.
And WHO still has one meter distancing and several countries put it at 1.5 meters. But then CDC now says 14 feet unmasked. In the future, have a mask with you I guess, and you putting it on might startle her? Maybe have a mask for her? She might be shocked into silence with that!

It's hard to compare an out of the way country like New Zealand (population 4.9 million) with the United States (325 million). The US is an international hub for worldwide travelers....NZ, not so much. I would also be skeptical of the China numbers.

I am very happy for New Zealand, but they're an island nation with more than 20x the space and less than half the population of Los Angeles County. It's reasonable to compare their results to Hawaii (which is still more densely packed than NZ), but not to the continental U.S.
Absolutely, NZ has a very natural advantage. But there are others, including Greece, Taiwan, Vietnam (mostly mid-size countries), and many others nearly there like South Korea. And then there is China as the biggie; while they may be doing a bit of fudging around the edges now, and perhaps more than that in the early stages of the disease, very few credible sources including those from the US dispute their overall dramatic success.

About international hub status, travel will become a big problem down the road; NZ is currently developing a travel bubble with the also "clean" Australia, but they will have to think long and hard how they can get international tourists and all their money back. The same with China, which (if I recall correctly) in 2019 had even more international travel in and out than the US, they will have a real problem trying to keep their country "clean". All these travel restrictions will also mean severe economic disruptions and entail long ongoing needs for quarantines.

Last edited:
Spock, where do you live? We can get everything and are a third of your size. Prices have gone up.

No, I've been to Vulcan a few times and things are pretty good there. Spock must be out of town on a 5-year mission.

logo.png

All I care about is the Wine & Spirits Stores in PA are beginning to open. Now we can really attack this virus! 🥃

Gosh, y’all have really be deprived! Wine was readily available to us even though I ended up doing a couple of wine.com orders to get “better” stuff.

The second wave has hit here. The number of new cases in the county has increased by more than 20% in the last four days. Covid-19 hospitalizations have increased by 64% in the last six days. Starting to look really ugly really quickly.

The second wave has hit here. The number of new cases in the county has increased by more than 20% in the last four days. Covid-19 hospitalizations have increased by 64% in the last six days. Starting to look really ugly really quickly.

Hope y’all stay safe. I fear we’re going to see a steady stream of these over next couple of months.

Too bad!

My sister lives in TX, doesn’t look good at the moment https://www.newsweek.com/coronaviru...-started-texas-medical-officials-warn-1510550.

I’m afraid the state I live in is headed for the same, too many citizens have decided they’re invincible again. Everyone is an expert these days, except experts...

The state's number of cases in Florida since June 3 have been over 1000+/day except one day it was 966. But that is offset on Thursday by a record daily increase of 1698 cases. And when was Memorial Day (hint - about 2 weeks prior) when people were crowding the beaches, swimming pools, bars, and shopping centers with NO social distancing and almost nobody wearing masks?

The response by Gov. DeSantis is to begin opening up more businesses and theme parks to attract people from all over the country and abroad. Now that we are in the summer months there will be an even greater number of people crowding the beaches. If Memorial Day is any indication then Florida needs to brace for a rough summer. Even Jacksonville's Mayor is bringing in the RNC to fill the hotels, restaurants and bars. :facepalm:

With everything that is going on this will be a perfect storm as we have started what may be a highly active hurricane season that runs until Nov. amid the pandemic. :hide:

Cheers!

My goal is to change behavior that puts all of us at risk. Is that not a worthy goal?

To snitch is to secretly tell someone of authority that someone has done something bad. Since I have no idea who the person is, and since half the employees were disobeying their employer and violating state policy, I would not be a snitch. I would be informing the employer that their lack of enforcing the policy is violating state regulations and putting customers, including myself, at risk. If I repeatedly see such action, I will have to take my business to the other big box store half a block away, or online.

First, there is actually no health risk to wearing a mask. Your state provides exceptions. These exceptions most likely apply to machinery in the environment, not individual health risk, even though the language indicates otherwise. Your state also requires written justification. I'll see if my state requires it.

From Ohio's (your state) Department of Health website:

Q: Are there exceptions?

A: Yes. Employers and employees are not required to wear face coverings if it is not advised due to health reasons, against documented industry best practices, prohibited for a specific position by law or regulation, or a violation of a company’s safety policy. A face covering also is not required if an employee is working alone in an enclosed workspace or if there is a practical reason one cannot be worn. If any of these exceptions apply, written justification must be provided upon request.

Surely you don't believe that half the employees are exempt from wearing a mask because of a health concern. And if they were exempt from wearing a mask, why were the masks on but over the chin?, which is completely useless?

Second, there really are not health issues that preclude wearing a mask. It does not restrict oxygen supply or diffusion of carbon dioxide away from the person. If masks cause health issues, what about the health care environment, with its PPE and procedures for taking care of infected patients and in the OR?

Is it snitching to call out systematic violations of state health department policy? Of course not.

It's kind of like wearing your pants around your ankles or putting sunscreen on the bottom of your feet--kind of makes one look like a fool. Only this time, the lives of others are at risk.

A better example: putting a toddler's diaper on over his/her knees. Eventually you will have a mess that get's all over.

"Here we go again" will undoubtedly hit this winter. Flu + COVID + all the other winter health problems (asthma, pneumonia, heart attacks, and all the kids sick with the usual respiratory illnesses) = no hospital beds. This happens every winter already.

The reason for the mitigation earlier this spring was to save lives partly by keeping the health care system from being overwhelmed. Having been nearly overwhelmed every winter of my career as a pediatrician in the office and the hospital, this year could be frightening in places for the health care system.

I'm doing a slow stock-up of cleaning supplies, and will keep ahead a bit in terms of TP, and maybe getting a couple of masks if I can. It was difficult to make ours with our old sewing machine. I'm keeping the freezer fairly full and have scoped out several local sources of eggs. We can get by without fresh or even any vegetables (there are people who have been carnivores for years), but without good protein sources, it will be hard.

By staying prepared, I won't be "hoarding" when the time comes. We'll be staying home when people in the stores are freaking out.

"Here we go again" will undoubtedly hit this winter. Flu + COVID + all the other winter health problems (asthma, pneumonia, heart attacks, and all the kids sick with the usual respiratory illnesses) = no hospital beds. This happens every winter already.

The reason for the mitigation earlier this spring was to save lives partly by keeping the health care system from being overwhelmed. Having been nearly overwhelmed every winter of my career as a pediatrician in the office and the hospital, this year could be frightening in places for the health care system.

I'm doing a slow stock-up of cleaning supplies, and will keep ahead a bit in terms of TP, and maybe getting a couple of masks if I can. It was difficult to make ours with our old sewing machine. I'm keeping the freezer fairly full and have scoped out several local sources of eggs. We can get by without fresh or even any vegetables (there are people who have been carnivores for years), but without good protein sources, it will be hard.

By staying prepared, I won't be "hoarding" when the time comes. We'll be staying home when people in the stores are freaking out.

We are doing much the same. I need to make a dog food run and defrost the freezer ahead of hunting season. Also planning to can and dry much of the excess production of my garden.

The state's number of cases in Florida since June 3 have been over 1000+/day except one day it was 966. But that is offset on Thursday by a record daily increase of 1698 cases. And when was Memorial Day (hint - about 2 weeks prior) when people were crowding the beaches, swimming pools, bars, and shopping centers with NO social distancing and almost nobody wearing masks?

The response by Gov. DeSantis is to begin opening up more businesses and theme parks to attract people from all over the country and abroad. Now that we are in the summer months there will be an even greater number of people crowding the beaches. If Memorial Day is any indication then Florida needs to brace for a rough summer. Even Jacksonville's Mayor is bringing in the RNC to fill the hotels, restaurants and bars. :facepalm:

With everything that is going on this will be a perfect storm as we have started what may be a highly active hurricane season that runs until Nov. amid the pandemic. :hide:

Cheers!

UPDATE: Thursday June 12 the record high of a daily cases in Florida was 1,698. The next day, Friday June 13, that record was surpassed to 1,902 cases in one day.

There have been an average of 1,098 cases/day since May 28. More venues are now open and more people are coming to Florida from out of state for "fun in the sun".

The 4th of July numbers are going to be interesting.

I ventured out to the dermatologist this week and most there were wearing masks, including everyone I dealt with.
However new cases are up in our county(south Texas)and I am returning to my cave for at least two more weeks.

Here in NC all the medical people say our increases are not a second wave--they are still a first wave. We have never plateaued -- we have had a slow but steady increase of cases, deaths, and hospitalizations since day 1 and now the increases are speeding up. NC probably should not have had the Phase 2 reopening but our Governor was under pressure to reopen. He has recently taken some strong stances against some large gatherings at businesses and shut some down so that may help a little. I am also glad to see the political convention moved from Charlotte.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom