Not sure what to do....

Can't imagine patients would begrudge doctors retiring.

It's a huge issue for doctors in smaller communities where the loss of one doctor may mean the closure of an emergency department or a small hospital. It can get downright nasty and the doctor may need to leave town, fast!

The other huge hassle for doctors in private practice is the need to keep all those old medical records until the statute of limitations runs out.

Again thank you all for your thoughts. It does change my perspective a bit. We are a large group and historically have somehow absorbed the practices of recently retiring physicians but we may be at the point that is not really feasible. Another issue is I am currently the only woman in the group which may mean a higher than usual percentage of my patients will leave the group if we don't bring in another woman physician (hard to recruit at least in our area)

Maybe the fair thing is part time until mid2014?
Thank you all again
Nikki

Maybe your partners will compensate you for staying on longer than you want to?

It's one thing to be fair to them but what are they giving you in return?

Again thank you all for your thoughts. It does change my perspective a bit. We are a large group and historically have somehow absorbed the practices of recently retiring physicians but we may be at the point that is not really feasible. Another issue is I am currently the only woman in the group which may mean a higher than usual percentage of my patients will leave the group if we don't bring in another woman physician (hard to recruit at least in our area)

Maybe the fair thing is part time until mid2014?
Thank you all again
Nikki

I appreciate your need to be "fair" to your patients and your colleagues. Part time may be ideal for a year or so, provided it brings in enough to cover the fixed costs of licensing, insurance, mandatory continuing medical education and overhead. In fact, it can facilitate your taking some CME courses in locations you wanted to vacation in! Going part time should be the signal for recruitment of your replacement to begin. When you do make a decision to completely leave, try to avoid the "one more year" syndrome. It is better for your patients and for the practice to give them a definite date and to remain firm on it. I also think that giving a year's notice is more than anyone could reasonably expect. Three months should enable proper provision for patients to be reallocated. Remember, the Pope gave 2.5 weeks notice!

Last edited:
......... Remember, the Pope gave 2.5 weeks notice!

Since we've opened the Bible, reminds me of Good Book's command to the Levites-

".......but at the age of fifty, they must retire from their regular service and work no longer."
- Numbers 8:25, New Int'l Version.

I'm no Biblical scholar but seems like OK advice to me ;)

I talked to my partners and practice manager today. Shooting for half time beginning of March. Need official ok from corporate who unlike us do not work on holidays but our managing partner does not think it will be a problem.
This feels strange!
Thanks for all the support
Nikki

I talked to my partners and practice manager today. Shooting for half time beginning of March. Need official ok from corporate who unlike us do not work on holidays but our managing partner does not think it will be a problem.
This feels strange!
Nikki

Dr. Nikki - it will only feel strange for a little while. When the numbness wears off it feels great.

This feels strange!
Nikki

Way to go Dr. Nikki!

Just to give a different perspective--I gave my partners about a year's notice and my patients 3 months notice. I got a LOT of pushback from partners and administrators because I had a very full practice and they worried my patients would leave the practice (and some did). It was a strange and emotionally draining last few months at work discussing my decision with my long time patients.
After a year off, I have returned to medicine in a new field/practice model. I missed the patient care and intellectual challenge more than I thought I would. It took a long rest from the burn out to see what I wanted to do more clearly.
Good luck with the part time option. I think it sounds like a smart transition.

Back
Top Bottom