oddity: fully furnished and decorated house for rent

retire-early

Full time employment: Posting here.
I was looking at a house to rent in a 55+ community.
I am doing the rent, sell, then buy because I don't have the income to get a mortgage and I need to sell to buy.

The listing on Realtor.com said FULLY FURNISHED & DECORATED home in gated adult community.

I asked my realtor to contact the listing agent and ask about the "fully furnished and decorated".
This was Friday morning.
As of this evening there was no reply from the listing agent.
My agent told me she will reach out again.

I guess they are serious about only renting to someone who needs a fully furnished and decorated home in a 55+ community.
Odd.

Why do you find this confusing. It happens fairly often in 55 and over communities Is it a problem for you

We saw this with places for sale in a 55+ community as well.
One was the couple from IL simply didn't want to move all their stuff back to IL, so they only took what had meaning and left the rest.

I sold Pops house fully furnished and decorated because I didn't have time to do an "estate sale" and nowhere to put the stuff either. New people kept some and sold or trashed the rest.

Why do you find this confusing. It happens fairly often in 55 and over communities Is it a problem for you

I admit I only started looking for rentals this year.
Yes, it is a "problem".
I don't need their beds, sofas, etc. I have my own furniture. Too much furniture actually.

I sold Pops house fully furnished and decorated because I didn't have time to do an "estate sale" and nowhere to put the stuff either. New people kept some and sold or trashed the rest.

We saw this with places for sale in a 55+ community as well.
One was the couple from IL simply didn't want to move all their stuff back to IL, so they only took what had meaning and left the rest.

This is a rental. With a sale, I'd just get rid of the furniture.

Are they expecting people to dump their own furniture to use the furniture that is in this house?
I don't want someone's old furniture, mattresses, etc. Yuck.

I was looking at a house to rent in a 55+ community.
I am doing the rent, sell, then buy because I don't have the income to get a mortgage and I need to sell to buy.

The listing on Realtor.com said FULLY FURNISHED & DECORATED home in gated adult community.

I asked my realtor to contact the listing agent and ask about the "fully furnished and decorated".
This was Friday morning.
As of this evening there was no reply from the listing agent.
My agent told me she will reach out again.

I guess they are serious about only renting to someone who needs a fully furnished and decorated home in a 55+ community.
Odd.

I don't think it is odd. It is what they state. It may be reasonable to ask specifics of what furniture is there or simply you can ask for a showing and see for yourself if you are interested in a furnished place.

I admit I only started looking for rentals this year.
Yes, it is a "problem".
I don't need their beds, sofas, etc. I have my own furniture. Too much furniture actually.

If you are looking for an empty place, just look elsewhere. Obviously the owners don't want the expense of moving it to storage, paying 1 yr's storage fees and then moving it back for the next renters. Alternatively you can ask if you can pay those expenses.

It really isn't that odd IMO.

Not odd at all. Just unfamiliar to you. This is quite common in some areas. We sold my mother's Florida home "as-is" complete with full furnishings, bed linens, and kitchen supplies (dishes, pots, pans, wax paper in the pantry, etc.) It's the way most homes in her 55+ community are bought and sold and rented. If buying, you swap out what you don't want with your own.

It really isn't that odd IMO.

In my short 6 month search this is the first I have run across this.

The only furnished apartment that I have seen are the corporate apartments.

Maybe it is their odd way of getting eyes on the house.
There was an empty house that was purportedly up for rental that turned into a sale.
Games being played in this market.

Are they expecting people to dump their own furniture to use the furniture that is in this house?

Bring a new bed and after the rental is over take the bed with you to your place...it's easy and if you already have too much take advantage of this opportunity to pare down to stuff you really like or need for your new house.

A downside would be paying for storage until the new place is built, but moving stuff in and out of a rental isn't cheap either. Or just move on or wait until something else opens up.

Is it a place you could see yourself buying? There is always chance that could happen and it would be a good test drive of the neighborhood.

Last edited:

Eww. For reals man. I'd rather stay in a hotel, where the tenants are changed daily.

Now granted, we have houses for winter and summer and don't rent our places out while we aren't there, but I can sure imagine someone with a one year contract or that wants to truly investigate a potential new home base area doing a fully furnished rental.

You said you are going to rent sell and buy,so you'll need to leave stuff in your home until it sells anyway.

It's not that odd. This is just not the house for you. I agree, I wouldn't want to rent, have to store my own stuff, and then be using someone else's furnishings.

For a short stay, fine, but not for a year. Just keep looking.

Eww. For reals man. I'd rather stay in a hotel, where the tenants are changed daily.

Now granted, we have houses for winter and summer and don't rent our places out while we aren't there, but I can sure imagine someone with a one year contract or that wants to truly investigate a potential new home base area doing a fully furnished rental.

Different strokes I guess busy motel a year's worth of guests, or a long term rental with the same tenants..I'm taking the rental...

You said you are going to rent sell and buy,so you'll need to leave stuff in your home until it sells anyway.

No, I plan on moving my stuff to the rental and selling an empty house.

I know. I know. People don't recommend selling an empty house.

As often as not, vacation/beach homes are sold fully furnished.

My wife and I were the first to use a friend's home after she bought it. The dining table was set, and several large plants were left with an automatic watering system.

Have you never stayed in an AirBnb? All AirBnBs are fully furnished and decorated.

Have you never stayed in an AirBnb? All AirBnBs are fully furnished and decorated.

No, but it would be expected that a AirBnB would be fully furnished just like the rooms in ExtendedStayAmerica hotels which I have stayed in.

I asked my agent and she said that around here it is not common to have fully furnished rental houses that are not vacation rentals.

No, but it would be expected that a AirBnB would be fully furnished just like the rooms in ExtendedStayAmerica hotels which I have stayed in.

I asked my agent and she said that around here it is not common to have fully furnished rental houses that are not vacation rentals.

I have stayed in many AirBnBs and none of them look like an extended stay hotel. In my experience they always have personal touches and often interesting decorations. That's what makes Air BnBs better than an extended stay hotel in my opinion.

I have stayed in many AirBnBs and none of them look like an extended stay hotel. In my experience they always have personal touches and often interesting decorations. That's what makes Air BnBs better than an extended stay hotel in my opinion.

My point is that I would expect both to be furnished.
Not a house that I am renting that I would be living in year-round.

My point is that I would expect both to be furnished.
Not a house that I am renting that I would be living in year-round.

Well if you don't want a furnished house then just look elsewhere. Where I live I see many furnished houses advertised.

I see from your original post that you have not heard back about the rental, so I bet is already rented to someone else who was glad to get a furnished house.

Back
Top Bottom