Oenophiles?

I might name the Blackberry wine Mezcal!

Yes, there is a theory that asthma is caused by on overactive immune system triggered by introduction of a dirt/irritant/mold/chemical in what was previously a super clean environment.

Isn't there a theory that things like asthma are partially caused by kids who don't play in the dirt and eat unclean stuff like I did as a youth? Something about the immune system not being as good as it should be. So exercise your immune system and eat a bug now and then. :)
There is such a theory often stated, but DM who grew up on a farm and ran free suffered from serious enough asthma as an adult, so I personally don’t give it much credit.

None of us kids inherited asthma fortunately.

The latest fad is "orange wines" where white grapes are crushed then left to leach out some color and flavor for a few hours. this allows them to pick up an orange tinge or so. Not a fan.

+1. I tried some at a tasting, smiled but thought, “We’ll that’s off my bucket list.”

Has anybody ever tried white Port wine? I had this once in Portugal and it was very good. So far I can't find it locally, but I haven't looked very hard. Apparently, only a relatively small amount is made.

Has anybody ever tried white Port wine? I had this once in Portugal and it was very good. So far I can't find it locally, but I haven't looked very hard. Apparently, only a relatively small amount is made.

I’ve had white port. It was served with a strawberry dessert. Very sweet but still delicious dessert. It was in a chefs private 6 seat dining room in the back of the kitchen, the chef decides what to serve, the dinner was hosted by megacorp, the guest of honor cancelled at the last minute and 2 of us, mid level managers who were nearby, were invited in to enjoy the already paid for meal.

White port was tasty.

I did not know about white port until I saw Audreyh1 mention it, right before my trip through Portugal in 2019. In a supermarket in Lisbon, I looked around the wine shelves, and found this bottle which was among the more expensive, yet cost less than 10 euros if my memory serves.

I opened and drank it on the trip, but remembered to take a photo to remind myself of the occasion. It was too sweet for me, who drinks 80-proof spirits like Cognac and whisky straight. I would still enjoy it occasionally, if I could get it.

I don't know what glass white port should be served in, but this tumbler was all I got from the cupboard at the Airbnb. Either this glass, or a coffee mug, and I decided that the clear glass showed the color of the wine better. :)

10965-albums279-picture2465.jpg

Last edited:
And it was when I looked at another photo taken during the trip of an abandoned resort on the bank of the Douro River, that I realized that this resort was owned by the same Ferreira family who is still making wine, and the white port that I got to sample.

I posted this photo on another thread, where I learned about the book by Annie Hawes from Chuckanut. Here's that photo again.

10965-albums235-picture2244.jpg

Last edited:
As mentioned, I found white port too sweet by itself, but another popular way to drink it is 50/50 with tonic water. I am going to serve this at the next family gathering.

See photo from the Web.

white-Port-tonic-920x609.jpg

Portugal was a huge treat to visit. Little did I know it was the European hot travel spot the year I went there. My only regret is not buying a few bottles of the white Port at the duty-free store before boarding the flight home.

OK wine lovers!

Red Wine High-Molecular-Weight Polyphenolic Complex: An Emerging Modulator of Human Metabolic Disease Risk and Gut Microbiota https://pubs.acs.org/doi/10.1021/acs.jafc.1c03158

Moderate red wine consumption has been linked to reduced chronic disease risk. Thus far, little has been known about the physicochemical properties and potential biological effects of high-molecular-weight polyphenolic complexes (HPPCs), a major fraction of red wine polyphenols. In this work, the stability and biochemical properties of HPPCs under simulated gastrointestinal conditions in vitro were studied. The results showed that HPPCs were resistant to simulated gastric digestion (SGD) and simulated intestinal digestion (SID). They exhibited significant inhibitory activity against key metabolic syndrome-associated digestive enzymes, achieving 17.1–90.9% inhibition of pancreatic α-amylase, lipase, and cholesterol esterase at 0.02–0.45 mg/mL. HPPCs were metabolized by gut microbiota (GM), leading to significantly enhanced antioxidant capacity when compared with the original, SGD, and SID samples. Furthermore, they favorably modulated GM profiles, which was accompanied by significantly increased short-chain fatty acid generation during the early colonic fermentation phase. These findings suggest that HPPCs are a promising modulator of human metabolic disease risk.

OK - I admit it’s pretty much over my head but I guess it’s explaining some of the mechanisms whereby moderate red wine consumption may reduce chronic disease risk.

OK wine lovers!

Red Wine High-Molecular-Weight Polyphenolic Complex: An Emerging Modulator of Human Metabolic Disease Risk and Gut Microbiota https://pubs.acs.org/doi/10.1021/acs.jafc.1c03158

OK - I admit it’s pretty much over my head but I guess it’s explaining some of the mechanisms whereby moderate red wine consumption may reduce chronic disease risk.

I accept your analysis (as he holds a glass of Chianti)!

-ERD50

I'm gonna die of something. It might as well be the result of drinking fine wines and delicious food. I've already ruled out murder in the arms of a jealous lover, as I would never betray DW.

It's by far the most "gruesome" wine making process I have seen on YouTube.

Outside of the obvious sanitation issues, it just looks horribly messy and inefficient. Stuff flowing every which way. That juice is sticky! Yuck!

-ERD50

Portugal was a huge treat to visit. Little did I know it was the European hot travel spot the year I went there. My only regret is not buying a few bottles of the white Port at the duty-free store before boarding the flight home.

Four European countries I will not mind visiting again and again are, not in any order of preference, France, Italy, Spain, and Portugal.

About white port, I did not bring any back from the trip. It's too much hassle.

Just now, looking on Total Wine, I saw that they had some white port.

Definitely, not fine wine making techniques, but essentially what they can afford to do.

Visiting some of the California missions, one can see the early attempts to increase the production and efficiency, back in the 17-18th centuries.

Definitely, not fine wine making techniques, but essentially what they can afford to do.

Visiting some of the California missions, one can see the early attempts to increase the production and efficiency, back in the 17-18th centuries.

Speaking of the California missions, they are a rather unique old-country resource and are well worth a stop or two if one has never seen a mission. Missions were about a one travel day away from each other when riding on horseback. So, one can hit several in one day with a car. I used to take visitors to the mission in San Fernando and then out to the Ventura mission located on Olde Ventura's main street. Not a bad day.

Back to wine.... It is my opinion we are living in a Golden Age of Wine.

I ran across this video of modern home wine making in Italy. A YouTuber couple visited a couple of American expats who bought a home in Le Marche, close to Venice, with a few hectares of vineyards. They sold their grapes to a local winemaking coop, but kept some to make their own wine at home.

With the right equipment, home wine making does not have to be a scary process.

Last edited:
I ran across this video of modern home wine making in Italy. A YouTuber couple visited a couple of American expats who bought a home in Le Marche, close to Venice, with a few hectares of vineyards. They sold their grapes to a local winemaking coop, but kept some to make their own wine at home.

With the right equipment, home wine making does not have to be a scary process.

Nice video, but a little misleading. "The whole process"? They didn't show the actual preparation of the must, which would involve de-stemming and crushing.

The store that hosted our club meeting had a nice press - instead of mechanical muscle, they had a large diaphragm that fit inside the press. Just connect to a garden hose and let the municipal water pressure do the work.

-ERD50

Nice video, but a little misleading. "The whole process"? They didn't show the actual preparation of the must, which would involve de-stemming and crushing.

The store that hosted our club meeting had a nice press - instead of mechanical muscle, they had a large diaphragm that fit inside the press. Just connect to a garden hose and let the municipal water pressure do the work.

-ERD50

True, he did not show the very first part of the process: making the must.

I found a video of a hand-cranked crusher/destemmer. Or, one can do it the low-tech way, using a crate as a grater.

Last edited:
Yep, with the right equipment it’s not a hard process. I was part of wine group and we’d source our grapes from Eastern Washington. As a group, we owned a crusher/destemmer and would meet at someone’s house to process the grapes when they arrived.

For whites, you press immediately and there were guys in the group that has a bladder press. That makes it easy. I always did reds, so I pressed later. I ended up finding a good deal on a used manual ratcheting press. Worked great, but required a bit more manual labor.

Making wine can be fun. The best part for me was fermentation. I really enjoyed drinking fermenting wine (in small amounts!).

I did this with reds, but in Europe you will find fermenting wines for sale using whites. I had a chance to have some on my last trip to Europe while touring wine country. Tasty!

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Federweisser

Back
Top Bottom