Off leash dog problem

As for dog parks. The one closest to us has one dog/owner that are dangerous... so if I see them or their car - I drive to the further one. The dog is extra aggressive and the owner doesn't do anything when the dog attacks other dogs in the dog park. Because of this - when that dog is there, he's usually by himself.
I've had a similar experience with dog parks. Most of the dogs there are well socialized and having fun, but there is always the asshat that has to bring their aggressive dog and do nothing as it goes around challenging the other dogs for dominance.

The only dog in the vid that wasn't under control was the barker on the trail where the woman kept calling* its name.

(*The lady giving the first training course my Border attended said right from the start, "Don't repeat a command...your dog's not deaf, he heard you the first time".)

The only dog in the vid that wasn't under control was the barker on the trail where the woman kept calling* its name.

(*The lady giving the first training course my Border attended said right from the start, "Don't repeat a command...your dog's not deaf, he heard you the first time".)

I agree - he had the dogs under great control - even getting the pack to move to one side or the other to allow passing bikes and other dogs. Crossing the busy street was super impressive.

I didn't see a single dog ON leash in the video. Was it in Italy - I thought I heard some Italian. Def. wasn't US.

Phillie, we aren't kidding when we say Border Collies and other herding dogs are a lot of work. Oh my god are they! But with enough stimulation and activity, they probably won't eat all the drywall off your house when bored. Hopefully. :)

I've fostered nearly 100 dogs, mostly Border Collies, and placed dozens in their forever (we hope) homes.

Oh, I believe you. It's just in my daydreams, where I live on a ranch or sheep farm, that I have s Border Collie to work the farm, ride next to me in the pickup, and sleep at my feet in the evenings. Maybe Sam Shepard fits in there someplace also.

In real life I don't have the lifestyle for any breed of dog.

We live on a long cul-de-sac next to a utility easement field. Despite no dogs signs, it's used as an informal dog park by the biggest collection of inconsiderate idiots. They drive the dogs over so that every underexercised dog barks like an idiot, play music on car stereos while they throw the ball for three minutes, show up before dawn in the summer, and leave bags of poop all over.

I was attacked twice last summer; once with my elderly dog, once alone. I just said "No, no, bad!" in my best you-have-crossed-the-line voice and they backed off. One owner put a leash on her dog and ran (!!!) away without even a word of apology. After several months of walking her leashed dog on the street, I've noticed that she's back to letting her dog run loose more or less in my front yard. We live three miles from one of the most spectacularly beautiful dog parks in the US, Del Mar's Dog Beach, but there's a nominal parking fee there, so they prefer the powerlines.

If I didn't live surrounded by old people, I'd seem like a

In real life I don't have the lifestyle for any breed of dog.

I think this is the big issue with many dog owners... (obviously, NOT YOU). Too many dog owners have a lack of awareness that dogs require a certain lifestyle commitment. Dogs need exercise, lots of it. Dogs need training, lots of it. I'd never owned a dog prior to rescuing our current dog. It definitely is more work than a cat, more commitment.... and too many people aren't willing to put in the time to properly exercise and socialize/train their dog.

I had coworkers who would work 10-12 hours a day, then go to the brew pub after work... and their poor dogs weren't get walked, socialized, etc... It was almost abuse in my opinion.

Was it in Italy - I thought I heard some Italian. Def. wasn't US.

From the comments posted on the YouTube site it appears it might be in Germany. The guy's name is apparently Heini.

I had coworkers who would work 10-12 hours a day, then go to the brew pub after work... and their poor dogs weren't get walked, socialized, etc... It was almost abuse in my opinion.

I agree so much. I don't know about all breeds of dogs, but I am familiar with toy poodles and in my opinion this would be almost criminally abusive for a toy poodle. They genuinely need a lot of affection and attention, and give a lot in return. Such sweet dogs.

I'm a life long hiking enthusiast and usually hike some pretty wild country. The closest I've ever come to using a gun in self defense was during an encounter with a pack of feral dogs that had taken over a forested area in western Montana. My friend and I were carrying large caliber handguns already due to the proximity of a nearby wilderness area with a substantial grizzly bear population. Probably close to a dozen large dogs came through the trees barking and growling. We both drew our weapons and yelled at the dogs. Fortunately, they stopped and just barked at us while we backtracked out of the area.

A couple we know were riding bikes in their neighborhood one evening when a dog attacked and bit the wife on her leg. The husband used his bike to block the dog and force it to leave. She had some nerve damage which caused numbness in part of her lower leg.

He went over to talk to the owners about keeping the dog under control so it didn't happen again. They gave a "what's the big deal" response which royally pi$$ed him off. They got a full medical evaluation and contacted an attorney. Mr. and Mrs. "What's the big deal" found themselves on the wrong end of a $25,000 judgement for medical expenses and the permanent nerve damage. Their dog was properly fenced or leashed after that.

Since we had/have a minor diversion involving Border Collies, I figured I'd throw in a couple pics of Zak-The-Wonder-Dog, one taken after the heaviest snowfall on Salt Spring Island B.C. during the eight+ years we lived there, and which he thought was organized for his benefit:

in8fw2.jpg

33dwq3n.jpg

I think this is the big issue with many dog owners... (obviously, NOT YOU). Too many dog owners have a lack of awareness that dogs require a certain lifestyle commitment. Dogs need exercise, lots of it. Dogs need training, lots of it. I'd never owned a dog prior to rescuing our current dog. It definitely is more work than a cat, more commitment.... and too many people aren't willing to put in the time to properly exercise and socialize/train their dog.

Dogs do need a lot of attention and exercise. I got a golden retriever when I was in my late 40's for the exercise angle. I needed some motivation to get off the sofa. She was a great dog. I now have a lab mix. Another good dog that gets me out for a nice walk every day. Here he is off leash on a trail outside of town.

Beginning of the hike......

Nothing like a good roll on the grass........

another border collie diversion, at our local dogpark...

Attachments

• dotti (2).jpg
    dotti (2).jpg
    655.1 KB · Views: 14
Last edited:
.... I am familiar with toy poodles and in my opinion this would be almost criminally abusive for a toy poodle. They genuinely need a lot of affection and attention, and give a lot in return. Such sweet dogs.

We had a toy poodle when I was a kid. It was a wonderful dog until she had a puppy and from that time forward she was a first class bitch... I was glad to see her go.

We had a toy poodle when I was a kid. It was a wonderful dog until she had a puppy and from that time forward she was a first class bitch... I was glad to see her go.

Sorry to hear that!

I could be wrong, but my guess is that she was still the same wonderful dog deep inside - - but acting differently because she was trying so very hard to be the best mama dog that she knew how to be. :)

We had a toy poodle when I was a kid, too, also a female. Although we "introduced" her to a handsome, pedigreed male toy poodle and let them do their thing, she did not have any puppies. She was the same sweet and affectionate dog for all of her long life.

I carry Fox Labs spray

That's what I carry as well. I understand it's the same strength as what the cops carry.
I will go to very great lengths to avoid using it because of just how powerful it is. I also keep a couple of antidote wipes in my car in case of backspray.

As for dog parks. The one closest to us has one dog/owner that are dangerous... so if I see them or their car - I drive to the further one. The dog is extra aggressive and the owner doesn't do anything when the dog attacks other dogs in the dog park. Because of this - when that dog is there, he's usually by himself.

I am surprised nobody reports this behavior... and aggressive dog is not allowed and would be banned... if the owner brings it and the police come it is a ticket... get a few and you are in trouble...

I guess you did not see when the dogs were running through the fields.... not even close to the owner.... nobody there, but not under control...

I guess you did not see when the dogs were running through the fields.... not even close to the owner.... nobody there, but not under control...

Oh they were under control.....he just allowed them to run for a while.....if he'd've called/whistled they'd've been right there.....those dogs were trained, but that doesn't mean they have to stand to attention 24/7.

And everyone knows that a pack of dogs behave just as nicely as they do one on one with the owner.

Last edited:
And everyone knows that a pack of dogs behave just a nicely as they do one on one with the owner.

Well, in a pack they obeyed the owner's signals when passing other cyclists from either direction....and, in a pack, they stopped at roadways until they were given the OK.....and, in a pack, they ignored both the barking dog and the fat one at the end of the vid.

(Edited to add...me, I find untrained dogs to be a PITA...it's soooo much more relaxing to know that you can count on your dog.......and dogs want/NEED to know who's in charge and what the rules are.)

Last edited:
Nemo2, There nothing like a well trained dog BUT the signs around here don't say "If your dog is well trained it doesn't need a leash". Why do you think that the signs don't apply to you and your dog? Isn't it the law where you are?

Back
Top Bottom