Old Toys

My Lionel train. Ca 1957. I had it running a few years ago, but now is just a display piece. And I'm never going to sell it.

Nice.

I recently found out that my brother still had the train that we had as kids. I knew he had picked it up, but I figured it was long gone. He asked if I wanted it, but I probably wouldn't get around to do much with it, I told him to donate it to a local train club, so hopefully someone will get it who appreciates it.

This was the model, made in 1952 only, between my brother's and my birthdays.

https://www.tandem-associates.com/lionel/lionel_trains_2056_loco.htm

loco2056_ident.gif

And I do have an older Tin-Plate Lionel train #262 (1931-32) that was my FIL's. I set that up around the tree the past few years, and have done some repair/restoration work on it.

Like this one, minus a few cars:

-ERD50

^ very nice! My loco and tender look similar to your 1952 model. Mine has no numbers on the loco, or they may have faded off. I can faintly see Lionel Lines on my tender.

Great that you still have your FIL’s old train.

Not an old toy, but approx 10 years ago when cleaning out my parent's house I found an old mid-50's pair of Levi's 501 jeans. Authentic and good shape real Levi's. They were my dad's from when he was a teen. So adult size, but skinny waist. Not sure why mom had saved them, but I put them on ebay and they sold for $1100. To a guy in Italy! He even paid the extra intl shipping. It was quite the nice little bonus compared to most of the stuff just donated to thrift stores.

My mom also saved a bunch of my old Tonka trucks from when I was a kid. The original metal kind. Most in decent shape and I have them now. Not worth a lot, more sentimental. I should just sell them though, as they are in a box and just taking up space.

I have a hard time throwing out my worn and ripped 501s. Now you've given me yet another excuse to keep them!

And those Tonka trucks and diggers were a menace - we're all lucky to be alive! :LOL:

I still have my Britannia British Rail class HO engine and tender that my parents gave me as part of a train set 60 years or so ago. Seems amazing given all the moves and places we have lived over the past 50 years.

I still have the train set that my grandpa gave me for Christmas in 1967, and it's still in good condition and runs like new, although I don't have any of the original boxes. I also have all of my Matchbox and Husky toy cars and trucks from the late '60s and early '70s, and a few of my old metal Tonka and Nylint trucks. I have a few of my other tin and mechanical toys from the early '60s, as well as my original G.I. Joe that I got for Christmas the year it came out, and all of the accessories and wooden G.I. Joe foot-locker that I had accumulated. And somewhere around here I still have a couple of cast metal toy cars that were my dad's when he was little kid in the late 1920s.

Since I've lived in this same house for the past 62+ years, it hasn't been too difficult to hang on to the stuff that I liked. :dance:

We found a few of DH's childhood toys from the early 50's when his mother passed away a 10 years ago. He was ready to throw them out as they were pretty well dirty and rusted, but I found a large box and packed them away to be worked on at a later time. That later time was when we were stuck at home in Jan 2021. It took a few weeks to clean them enough to be presentable and to do a little restoration. We have them in the family room and will pass them on the my grandson when he is older.

Attachments

• 20210117_194559.jpg
    20210117_194559.jpg
    859.4 KB · Views: 49
Currently in the process of getting rid of my 60's baseball/football cards. I know my kids won't want them and I don't want to hassle them with trying to figure out how to get rid of them when I'm gone. I'll probably keep a few of the more valuable ones for a few more years, but will be dumping probably 90% this week.

Patrick, Sell the valuable ones now if you can. The market seems to be getting saturated and we're (a friend and I who attend card shows) already seeing softening of prices among dealers other than for the extremely high end cards

When I was in high school I sold my 1945-ish Lionell train set for $5 and thought I had made a score. :facepalm:

But I still do have a 'like new' "Mr Machine" somewhere in Mom's attic.

My parents divorced when I was 14, and the last thing on my mind at that time was my childhood toys (baseball cards, Strat-O-Matic games and cards, Hot Wheels, etc.). I just wanted out of the house. My dad immediately had those items among others tossed when he cleared out the house. This included all of my 45s. Sigh.

My DM donated a lot of her 45s and records. Turns out the sleeve's were actually worth more than the records in many cases.

And those Tonka trucks and diggers were a menace - we're all lucky to be alive! :LOL:

I inadvertently left one of my metal Tonka trucks to the side of the neighbor's driveway. Said neighbor came home and ran over my truck. It did not withstand the beast that was the Volvo [-]car[/-] tank. :facepalm:

Patrick, Sell the valuable ones now if you can. The market seems to be getting saturated and we're (a friend and I who attend card shows) already seeing softening of prices among dealers other than for the extremely high end cards

Yep, take the money and run.
I used to have a pretty extensive collection of pro cycling gear. Autographed jerseys, helmets, gloves, all kinds of stuff. I sold them all on eBay right about at the end of Lance’s Tour victories. Made a few thousand, but now you can’t even give the stuff away.

Back
Top Bottom