One More Year for Very Young Dreamers

FUEGO

Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...
I was doing some back of the envelope calculations to see what One More Year (OMY) would get me. It surprised me how much OMY means to a very early retiree (someone under 40 at FIRE) which is how I would classify my plan.

Take a 35 year old wannabe retiree with $1.5 million in their portfolio and a savings rate of $90,000 per year (probably not that rare for those very early retirees aiming for an under-40 retirement age).

One more year at a 5% real return rate equals $165,000 larger portfolio in real terms, or $5400 in additional annual spending during ER (using a 3.25% withdrawal rate). An 11% boost to annual spending or a large margin of extra safety.

This is roughly the situation I may experience in another few years. Even if I have enough it may be worthwhile to put in another year or two simply to have more safety or the option of a higher withdrawal rate.

Yep, OMY can make a big difference. OMY for us = almost $10K in additional annual spending for the rest of our lives! That's a lot of money to leave on the table if you don't despise your job. So it goes back to the concept of "enough", which is valid at any age.

Another option is The Millionaire Next Door method and find a job or business you actually like and still makes money. If you don't have to work for a living you have time to explore different careers. I think I am on my fourth career try right now since leaving the corporate world.

You don't have to be 100% retired or working at your current job for additional years. There are lots of other options.

This is a significant contributor to my own personal OMY syndrome. I am hoping to turn over a new leaf this year or very early next year; and, I am no longer as set on calling it permanent ER; maybe it will be; but, maybe it will just be a sabbatical; or, maybe a career change.

A few years of not drawing down the portfolio could make a much larger difference than continuing to contribute.

OMY also means 1 less year to cover with your portfolio, 1 less year to SS, and your SS earnings should be an extra $1300/year (waiting to 70).

I have gotten cured of OMY or potential backsliding this week. The most horrendous, pointless, and soul-killing business trip I think I have ever been on. If I waver between now and early next year, all I have to do is think back to this miserable experience.

I have gotten cured of OMY or potential backsliding this week. The most horrendous, pointless, and soul-killing business trip I think I have ever been on. If I waver between now and early next year, all I have to do is think back to this miserable experience.

You should bookmark this post and save it to look at should you waver at all. :D

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom