One Paycheck To Go...

Cut-Throat said:
Start perparing dinner for my wife.

And TH:
Thats almost exactly my day! Exactly! I really enjoy the part about making dinner with your wife

and Nords:
Sounds like it's time to buy some more groceries...

So what's for dinner? We haven't had recipes for a while. I'm hungry and I skipped lunch today. :)

We've been subsiding on chicken liver pate, brie and olives the past few evenings, although I roasted two 5lb chickens stuffed with preserved lemons and garlic cloves, so we'll be eating leftover chicken for a while. We just finished off a spinach and four cheese omelette, potato pancakes and french toast (hey, I just got up 2 hours ago...)

Baked White Trout, Home made potato salad, cole slaw - free - guest chef (a young 63 yr old we've known for thirty years). My kind of frugal- er ah cheap.

Me and the dog went out and bought a bag of lemons by way of going to the Pass to watch the sailboats headed out early for the Gulf and the Old Car club display/ picnic at the State Park.

I may - I say - may volunteer for dish duty afterward.

Two good uses for too many lemons (or any other citrus fruit for that matter). We have a lemon and lime tree, and even after giving them away like crazy we have too many.

Wash. Slice 1/4" thick. Line them neatly in layers in a large clean sealable plastic or glass jar or other container. Between each layer sprinkle a few teaspoons of coarse kosher salt. Use plenty of salt, there is no such thing as "too much" for this, but too little can be a problem. When the jar is pretty much full, put a potato masher or similar tool in there and press. If there isnt enough juice to cover all of the contents, juice a few more of whatever citrus you're using and add the juice to cover. Seal jar airtight. Put it on the counter for about 3-4 weeks, gently shake the jar once a day or so. Add a half to one inch of olive oil and refrigerate for up to one year. It should look like a bunch of sliced lemons floating in juice. If any funny colored stuff shows up inside or on top, you didnt use enough salt. I usually put 1/4 to 1/2 cup of salt in a half gallon plastic container.

This will sound a lot more disgusting than it is. The pulp turns jelly-like and the rind softens. The entire thing is edible but...do not...I repeat...do not...eat any of this plain. Chop them up and add to Tagines or other stews where they'll slow cook a while and you want a lemon/lime/orange/grapefruit and salt flavoring. Place inside a cleaned fish or on top of a filet. Stuff inside a chicken. The entire thing becomes edible in a stew...discard after cooking in any other application.

For the ones you're just juicing, use a very sharp potato peeler or zester to remove the zest before cutting in half and juicing. As much of the colored part of the peel and as little of the white pith as possible. Drain off some vodka from a new bottle. I'm sure all y'all can figure out what to do with the drained off vodka. Nothing fancy needed here, I use smirnoff. Add the zest. Over time, you can continue to add more zest. Shake the bottle once a day. After about 2-3 weeks the vodka will take on the color of the zest and the zest will lose its color. When its bright yellow/orange/green depending on the citrus you used (about a month), pour it through a cone coffee filter (or other fine filtration device you want to fool around with), clean the bottle, replace the citrus vodka back in the bottle, add a quarter to half cup of sugar. Shake until the sugar dissolves. Freeze and drink neat or over ice. The lemon growing region of Italy calls the lemon version "lemoncello" or "limoncello". Unfortunately more than one or two shots of it and you start feeling like you're drinking furniture polish.

th said:
Drain off some vodka from a new bottle...The lemon growing region of Italy calls the lemon version "limoncello".
Also, instead of using Vodka, you may also use grain alcohol which is the preferred liquid in Italy for limoncello.  You need only keep the zest in grain alcohol for about a week before removing the zest.

It is important to store this in the freezer in a frosted bottle.  It will never freeze and you always want to serve it directly out of the freezer.  I always have a bottle of this stuff in my freezer.  It's my favorite afterdinner drink.

Seems like a lot of work to get tanked! Of course this comes from someone who drinks "right price filtered rum" with diet coke. :)

Martha said:
So what's for dinner?  We haven't had recipes for a while.
Thai food!

These staple dishes are all over the internet and not fussy about preparation or even ingredients:  khao soi (recipes vary as long as it's spicy) with mango sticky rice for dessert.  (Hey, is this Sawatdee place near you?)

On a Chiang Mai street corner this meal would cost you about 25 baht...

We're planning a three-month fantasy empty-nester Thailand trip, including a basic immersion language school and some cooking classes. Of course we'll be waiting until 2010, but hopefully the dollar will be stronger.

(Hey, is this Sawatdee place near you?)

Nords,

Yes, I eaten at a few of their places in the Minneapolis Area. Great Food, albiet a little on the pricey side.I like their Spring Egg Rolls.
They've gone 'Too American'. You can tell this, becuase they have 3 or 4 of their places throughout the Metro area.

I prefer the Mom and Pop owned Vietnamese places that sprouted up here during the 70's. I've eaten at one for about 25 years now, that has the Best Oriental food I've ever tasted. Very Inexpensive and nothing more than a small hole in the wall cafe! :p

Love Thai food and Veitnamese food. My DH makes such a good fish sauce that many restaurant preparations are tasteless to me now.

CT, can I beg off of you the name/location of the Veitnamese restaurant you like? We always used to go to one in St. Paul on University Avenue we loved, had the best spring rolls and soups, but it closed a few years ago. It too was just a hole in the wall that opened up in the 70s.

Cut-Throat said:
I prefer the Mom and Pop owned Vietnamese places that sprouted up here during the 70's. I've eaten at one for about 25 years now, that has the Best Oriental food I've ever tasted. Very Inexpensive and nothing more than a small hole in the wall cafe! :p
Same here. You know you're in the right place when the tables are set with chopsticks and there's not a fork in sight...

Martha,

It's called the Saigon Resturant. It's located on 38th St. and Grand Ave. in South Minneapolis. - There are some other unrelated 'Saigon Restuarants' in the Twin Cities that are not the 'Real Deal'. So make sure you go to the one on 38th St.

Try the number 73 - Spicy Cashew Chicken. Order it 2X spicy. - It will change your life! :p - Also order some of their Egg Rolls outstanding!

Martha said:
Love Thai food and Veitnamese food.  My DH makes such a good fish sauce that many  restaurant preparations are tasteless to me now.

Would DH let you pass that recipe on to us? I would really enjoy some more good sauces. Especially sauces that might be good on steamed or poached fish.

Mikey

Nords said:
REW, are you showing up at work with a "Days Remaining:" countdown painted on your forehead yet? Or are you going to be the classy type who just disappears and leaves his co-workers to ask a couple months later "Hey, have you seen REW lately? Where's he been?!?"

Nords, no claims to class here. No "Days Remaining" countdown on my forehead, just a sustained wall-to-wall grin on my face communicating the same message.

Oriental food and booze recipes? Man, can you guys hijack a thread or what! :D

REW, 8 days to eR

My sauce is pretty close to CT's but mixes up the spices a little:

1 garlic clove finely chopped
1 bunch scallions finely chopped
2 teaspoons sugar
2 T fish sauce
1 teaspoon corn starch
1/4 teaspoon each: ground ginger,tumeric,cayenne and coriander
1/2 teaspoon chili powder
1 cinnamon stick broken in half

My favorite combo with this sauce is scallops or shrimp and asparagus, but chicken and broccoli etc work well also.

Cook vegetables until crisp,tender (with asparagus good to boil it about 5 minutes).
Cook scallops or chicken in about 2 T or less oil until done.
Add vegetable and sauce and cook about 3 minutes until sauce gets thick/glossy. Toss out the cinnammon stick before serving.

It's a bit spicy. To tone it down cut cayenne down to what is comfortable.

It is important to store this in the freezer in a frosted bottle.

Here's something you gotta try -- it's a big hit at a party. We do this for Swedish parties with snaps (not schnapps).

Boil some water and let it cool. Then put the water in a 2-qt OJ container, stick the bottle in the container, and set the whole thing upright in the freezer.

The next day, you can pull the block of ice with the enclosed bottle out of the OJ container. Because you boiled the water, it will be crystal clear.

Yesterday, my husband picked his final retirement date (mid-October) -- one month earlier than we had originally planned. He is a happy camper and keeps reiterating that he will be out from under all the 'stress' of supervising. His sibling died last year (was in excellent health - then brain aneurysm). Big factor in our decision to retire. Life is short.

laurencewill said:
Seems like a lot of work to get tanked!

C'mon laurence, we dont have jobs here. What else do you have to take up your time other than putting funny stuff in booze, waiting a month and then seeing what it tastes like? ;)

Unfortunately yuba city is not well endowed with vietnamese restaurants and only has a few iffy thai places. Plenty of indian food due to the extensive indian farming community. Fortunately I've learned to make my own vietnamese and thai food, so if anyone has a hankerin' for something they cant get at a local restaurant, ask away and I'll give you a (usually shortcutted) version of it.

You dont know me said:
Fortunately I've learned to make my own vietnamese and thai food, so if anyone has a hankerin' for something they cant get at a local restaurant, ask away and I'll give you a (usually shortcutted) version of it.

What, no invite? ;)

I don't know you :D

Thanks for the recipes, Kay and Cut-Throat. I am looking forward to making them.

Mikey

You dont know me said:
That is correct, you dont know me!

No. I signed it "I don't know you" but you are right, you don't know me. :duh:

Back
Top Bottom