Optometrist, Ophthalmologist or Both

easysurfer

Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...
Do you go to both optometrists and ophthalmologists for your eye car or just one?

I've only gone to a optometrist in the past as all I've only needed are glasses (or contacts a long time ago). But now, I'm at a crossroads the last couple of visits to my optometrist left me feeling a bit dissatisfied (he once had his own practice but now works in a retail chain and seems to me a bit overwhelmed not being his own boss..not easy having to take orders and follow others' rules :LOL:).

I went to an ophthalmologist recently and was happy. Now I'm thinking, maybe I should just get my vision care there as they can write eyeglass prescriptions too. But is that overkill and probably more expensive?

I would recommend the ophthalmologist, the latter is a medical doctor and is licensed to practice medicine and surgery

The ophthalmologist will be able to check for glaucoma, macular degeneration, diabetes and more. Very important to catch some of these early as the alternative could result in loss of vision.

Last edited:
No comparison. Ophthalmologists are the experts and MDs. We have to travel to see one so for a quick check we sometimes use an optometrist, however.....

Last year DW saw the local optometrist for something in her eye. After several visits we visited an ophthalmologist who explained she had dry eye.

At most of our ages it's important to see an ophthalmologist for more than vision changes. A dear coworker developed melanoma in her eye, perhaps earlier detection could have improved her outcome.

ETA: DW had a migraine that lasted 72 days this winter. After checking for tumors and other nasty things the only condition they couldn't rule out was idiopathic intercrainal hypertension. The definitive test for IIH is an unpleasnt spinal tap, however an ophthalmologist can measure the pressure of the eye giving a good indication of if a tap is needed.

Last edited:
I just go to my regular optometrist, mainly because my health insurance once said they would pay for my comprehensive eye exam by an optometrist, but not by an opthalmologist. That could be an anomaly, however. I have different insurance now, anyway. BTW, my optometrist has the machines for retinal scanning and photography, anyway, and does the eye dilation thing. Also checks for glaucoma with the air puff machine.

I would recommend the ophthalmologist, the latter is a medical doctor and is licensed to practice medicine and surgery

The ophthalmologist will be able to check for glaucoma, macular degeneration, diabetes and more. Very important to catch some of these early as the alternative could result in loss of vision.

+1
Would not go anymore to an Optometrist with all the potential eye issues associated with aging.

I just go to my regular optometrist, mainly because my health insurance once said they would pay for my comprehensive eye exam by an optometrist, but not by an opthalmologist. That could be an anomaly, however. I have different insurance now, anyway. BTW, my optometrist has the machines for retinal scanning and photography, anyway, and does the eye dilation thing. Also checks for glaucoma with the air puff machine.

In our state an optometrist can check for Glaucoma but cannot treat for it including prescribing eye drops. DW was seeing an optometrist but once the pressure in her eyes got to a certain level he had to refer her to an ophthalmologist for treatment and monitoring.

Last edited:
We've been going to the same optometrist for 25-30 years. We are very pleased with the quality of eye care and the exam is free with our vision plan from DW's former employer. They do lots of advanced eye-health testing in addition to the vision correction part. When necessary, they refer us to an ophthalmologist, e.g. when I needed cataract surgery. All my follow-up care was provided by the optometrist, including ongoing monitoring for secondary cataracts as well as some early indicators of glaucoma.

Given all this, I spoke to the ophthalmologist about routine eye exams. He said that for my situation, a co-management arrangement with the optometrist would work fine. At this point, DW has no eye issues at all beyond the need for vision correction. We're both 58. Also, our vision plan will not cover eye exams by an ophthalmologist.

The optometrist also has a very experienced optician on staff that we've both used for the same timeframe. She knows us well and, while it's expensive, we still prefer the human interaction when purchasing glasses and contacts.

So until something changes, we're happy with this co-management arrangement.

When getting a prescription from an ophthalmologist for ordinary glasses, do they tend to nudge you into getting the glasses at the optical store in their building? Or is the process usually more like a doctor writing up a prescription at a drug store and you bring the script and get the filled at any pharmacy (in this case, any optical place)?

I have been going to the same optometrist for the past 11 years. In addition to my contact lens/eyeglass prescriptions, he does a very good job screening for early glaucoma and macular degeneration, utilizing retinal scans, direct visual exams and air “puff” pressure tests. So far, no evidence of early disease. If there were any warning signs, I would definitely seek the care of an ophthalmologist. But until then, I enjoy my annual visits to my optometrist. I buy a few boxes of contact lens (at full retail price) because I want his business to enjoy some profit, then I order 4 boxes of contact lens online at a substantial discount, utilizing the prescription he provides.

When getting a prescription from an ophthalmologist for ordinary glasses, do they tend to nudge you into getting the glasses at the optical store in their building? Or is the process usually more like a doctor writing up a prescription at a drug store and you bring the script and get the filled at any pharmacy (in this case, any optical place)?
The ophthalmology (oh I have so much trouble spelling that word correctly!) practice that I go to has an allied optical store in their building, owned by the docs. The doc, or doc's scribe, hands me the prescription, zero pressure to use their own place, which I never have. I did use the place to get the $10 clear lens blanks put into my glasses twice, one each time, after cataract surgery, that was it.

EDIT - I should add that being a patient of an ophthalmology practice could be a real vision-saver in an emergency, or when you don't think it's an emergency, but it is. Ours has 24/7 answering service, and they jump through hoops when required. Lucky for me, one of our kids used the doc, and I was able to get in fast, seing doc within 2 hours, when I had my what turned out to be PVD-caused retinal tear. I was not a patient before that... I sure am now!

No levity intended, but someone thinking they have a heart attack can go just about anywhere for immediate treatment. Not so emergency major eye issues. Emergency rooms are not eye centers.

Last edited:
The ophthalmology (oh I have so much trouble spelling that word correctly!) practice that I go to has an allied optical store in their building, owned by the docs. The doc, or doc's scribe, hands me the prescription, zero pressure to use their own place, which I never have. I did use the place to get the $10 clear lens blanks put into my glasses twice, one each time, after cataract surgery, that was it.

Ours is connected too. Very desirable.

Optometrist is quite sufficient unless you already have some eyeball problems to be treated. If it's just an annual vision check optometrist will do. They are able to spot any medical irregularity e.g. cataracts, glaucoma, macular degeneration, even high blood pressure and diabetes if you're not already aware you have those. Once they've identified the situation then you'd want to see (pun...?) an M.D. Ophthalmologist for actual clinical intervention.

Insurance coverage of Optometrist vs. Ophthalmologist.
This has come up in threads on eye care, so let me share my experience of company/organization medical insurance, and now Medicare.

Company/Org insurance would cover Optometrist. At an Ophthalmologist, the "refraction", the measuring of vision to create a prescription for glasses lenses or contacts, was not covered. All medical-related eye work or examination WAS covered, once deductible was met. Medicare has been the same, except the refraction for glasses lenses after cataract surgery WAS covered, as part of the whole cataract-solving procedure, as was all follow-up visits related to cataract surgery.

I'm type II diabetic, and Medicare pays for both types of eye doctors. I go to the ophthalmologist yearly.

So many people have to have cataract surgery, so I may as well have him watching for such things.

If I could keep off this computer, maybe my eyesight wouldn't deteriorate. These tiny fonts on labels and everything are now just a little hard to see. Had to buy a magnifying glass recently. Otherwise, I'm just barely into having glasses.

DH has weird eyeballs -- he's found one optometrist who does a whiz-bang job of getting a really good refraction. Even if he needs opthalmologist care, he'd likely stay with the optometrist for refraction purposes.

I have a simple distance-only Rx but some real eye issues -- I see an opthalmologist for both eye care and refractions.

We each only get two eyeballs. In our world, cost is not a big consideration when it comes for caring for them.

This discussion is quite informative for me. May not be a couple of years until I need another vision exam for glasses (I just got one the other day with the optometrist I've been going too but will make a change from in the future). I'm leaning towards in the future to get the exam from where my new ophthalmologist is located, but probably get the prescription filled at a place with a better selection that at the ophthalmologist's building.

Of course, things can change 5 times untl then as in two years a lot of things can happen :popcorn:.

I go regularly to an opthalmologist, who is also a surgeon specializing in cataracts; he was the one who did my cataract surgery. Now he checks my eyes regularly for signs of diabetic problems (but hasn't seen any yet).

He was originally recommended to me by my optometrist, who was fantastic at getting exactly the right glasses prescription for me. The optometrist noticed a degradation in my vision, and enlarging cataracts, and sent me to the opthalmologist back in 2015.

After the cataract surgery, I haven't needed glasses except for cheap readers. I should probably go back to my optometrist and have him double check, but haven't because I feel I can see so very well.

In the past, I have found that optometrists do a much better job of getting the right glasses prescription for me than opthalmologists, probably because it seems many optometrists do eye refractions all day every day. Opthalmologists don't. Sometimes they even have an assistant who does their refractions for them, but then who knows what the assistant's training is. I definitely think opthalmologists are necessary for medical conditions. Opthalmology and Optometry are two different types of specialty, not two levels of the same specialty, even though they both work with one's eyes.

Exactly, and it should be the same from your optometrist.

My optometrist was associated with Lenscrafters so to leave his office, I had to walk through Lenscrafters. There was a little nudge to use Lenscrafters but honestly, I have been around the block and although I am fundamentally a gentle person, still I am no pushover. I don't know about other states, but here it is against the law for the optometrist to not give you a written copy of your refraction/prescription/whatever-you-call-it. Lenscrafters even told me that once, when I had willingly ordered glasses from them but also wanted a paper copy to take home so I could order sunglasses online from 39dollarglasses dot com. So anyway, I am always ready to demand this information but never actually had to DO that.

So if you have any trouble with either, make your wishes known in no uncertain fashion. You'll walk out of there with your prescription.

My optometrist was associated with Lenscrafters so to leave his office, I had to walk through Lenscrafters. There was a little nudge to use Lenscrafters but honestly, I have been around the block and although I am fundamentally a gentle person, still I am no pushover. I don't know about other states, but here it is against the law for the optometrist to not give you a written copy of your refraction/prescription/whatever-you-call-it. Lenscrafters even told me that once, when I had willingly ordered glasses from them but also wanted a paper copy to take home so I could order sunglasses online from 39dollarglasses dot com. So anyway, I am always ready to demand this information but never actually had to DO that.

So if you have any trouble with either, make your wishes known in no uncertain fashion. You'll walk out of there with your prescription.

Same for me about by law optometrist has to cough up the prescription if asked. I haven't done so in the past as I don't mind the selection and must admit am kind of lazy. But at first glance (I didn't take a close look at selection and prices) at the optical place in the building where my ophthalmologist is located, the selection doesn't look that great and it wouldn't surprise me if cost is pretty high.

I'd just tell the truth in that I want a place with a larger selection.

Well, that and also a place like Lenscrafters, some discounts could be had over an in-building shop.

I prefer an opthamologist because they are medical doctors. I have an eye condition (PVD) and it is recommended that I have it examined once per year. An optometrist can do the exam but I'm more confident with an opthamologist doing it. Also, since I have this condition Medicare will cover an exam by an opthamologist which is a real bonus.

In the past I've gone to an optometrist as well because I've worn contacts and have found that many (most?) opthamologists will only prescribe glasses, not contacts. For my next appointment I'm going to look harder for an opthamologist who will prescribe contacts as well as glasses. That would be the ideal situation for me even if part of the services are not covered by Medicare it would save me from having to have two appointments. We'll see how that goes (pun intended). :)

Our view is: if you have any medical eye issues, or are at risk for them, always choose the ophthalmologist; they also do optometry, although many will farm that out to an assistant. Eye issues become terribly common with age.

Meanwhile, an optometrist should have the equipment and knowledge to detect signs of eye problems that would result in a referral to an ophthalmologst. But you can't count on that.

They have to give you your Rx. What they don't have to give you is the pupillary distance (PD)m, which can make or break the success of your glasses. Fortunately, you can measure that yourself...we had a big thread about it a while back, mostly focused (ha) on Zenni.

I see an optometrist. I'm impressed by my current one, who I switched to a couple years ago. They explain things fully, and do the tests that make sense for me, including the macula scan since macular degeneration is in my family. That scan is $39. The relief it brings me to twice hear that it's healthy is well worth it. If that or anything else showed signs of trouble, I'd likely step up to an ophthalmologist.

They have to give you your Rx. What they don't have to give you is the pupillary distance (PD)m, which can make or break the success of your glasses. Fortunately, you can measure that yourself...we had a big thread about it a while back, mostly focused (ha) on Zenni.

Oh, yeah... I never had a problem with that, because luckily 39dollarglasses dot com includes clear instructions for doing that simple pupillary distance measurement for oneself, before ordering. I can't imagine that ever being a problem but maybe it is for some folks. Neither my optometrist nor my opthalmologist do it, IIRC - - it is done by the optician or assistant AFAIK (over in Lenscrafters, when I go there, for example).

I see an optometrist. I'm impressed by my current one, who I switched to a couple years ago. They explain things fully, and do the tests that make sense for me, including the macula scan since macular degeneration is in my family. That scan is $39. The relief it brings me to twice hear that it's healthy is well worth it. If that or anything else showed signs of trouble, I'd likely step up to an ophthalmologist.

My brother's opthalmologist says he has some sort of sign of future macular degeneration, and prescribed special, very expensive vitamins for it. Weird! I had no idea. I told him I'd ask my opthalmologist if I have any signs of macular degeneration and need those vitamins too.

Back
Top Bottom