OT: How not to cut down a tree

Not sure what all the hype is ... you can rent a 50 ft lift for 4 hours for $250 and drop 2-3 foot sections of the tree. Always stay ABOVE the cut. I never cut from the base until it's a stump.

A stump grinder is $175 for 4 hours (did 12 stumps last week ... 6 home and 6 at a rental)

Obviously power lines negate all do-it-yourself attempts.

So I had a large dead maple tree right next to the power line at the lake. Called an "expert" ... first words out of his mouth: "that's a beautiful house you have there!" ... I thought "here it comes" .... $1100 BUCKS !!! For one tree! Called a local landscaper I knew and asked if he had insurance "just in case" ... said 'yep'. Dropped the thing for $150.

Last edited:
We had a 40ft brazilian pepper tree removed here in Vegas last year. Crew of 4 did it in under two hours and they charged $300 which included grinding the stump and fixing the buried sprinkler pipe that they broke during the stump grinding.

Timely thread!

Yipee!

The guys from the power company are here, as I type, removing a big (150') dead, LEANING pine tree that lightening hit and killed.It's leaning over my tractor barn and about 10' away from the power line, so there was no way I was going to pull out the trusty chainsaw and do it myself.
Of course, they were supposed to be here in January, becuase it was classified as an "immediate threat" to their power line. And, as it turns out, they were actually coming to trim some big branches from a nearby powerline, but they made the mistake of blocking our drive, so DW couldn't get out, and while talking/chit-chatting with them, they called it in, found out that there was a service order on it, and agreed to take it out today.

You definately catch more flies with honey than with vinegar.

I'm feeling very relieved, as I had visions of it crashing down on the barm and wiping it out - even removed all the equipment two months ago "just in case".

Yipee!

Back
Top Bottom