Others perception

gayl

Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
Okay ... I have a minor problem with others interpretation of my age.

Whitewater in Bali limited to those under 65. I'm not. But I can still raft (prefer under 4/5). So I go to rent a bike .... same thing. Again on ziplines. Now that I've crossed 'that number' others limitations bother me. Still doing 1/2 marathons, hike Mt Diablo (slowed down a little), more fit than when working. I know it's my frustration but still [emoji34]
Your pet peeve?

Never have experienced this but I think it’s terrible.

Unless they scrutinize your driver's license, how would they know your age unless you tell them?

I've never had that issue, and DW has done a couple of ziplines recently. She's definitely over 65 but they didn't ask.

Okay ... I have a minor problem with others interpretation of my age.

Whitewater in Bali limited to those under 65. I'm not. But I can still raft (prefer under 4/5). So I go to rent a bike .... same thing. Again on ziplines. Now that I've crossed 'that number' others limitations bother me. Still doing 1/2 marathons, hike Mt Diablo (slowed down a little), more fit than when working. I know it's my frustration but still [emoji34]
Your pet peeve?

Get a fake I.D. That should fool 'em!:cool:

Just wait till you are 75, and can no longer rent a car in Europe.

Just wait till you are 75, and can no longer rent a car in Europe.

I was kind of amazed when I saw this, so I looked it up. I had no idea there was a maximum age limit anywhere. Here's what Rick Steves says:
Drivers over age 70 may have trouble renting in the Czech Republic, Great Britain, Greece, Northern Ireland, Poland, Slovakia, Slovenia, and Turkey; drivers over 80 may have trouble in Denmark. If you're over 69, you may be required to pay extra to rent a car in the Republic of Ireland, where the official age limit is 75 (although some rental companies will rent to those ages 76–79 if they provide extensive proof of good health and safe driving). If you're considered too young or too old, look into leasing, which has less stringent age restrictions.

But apparently it varies by company as well as by country. I had no trouble renting a car in England at 70 (I used Avis and I've been a long time customer there).

Not sure how this is a perception problem. Probably just the opposite (ie no one can tell unless you tell them). More likely their liability insurance is the culprit. Yeah, it stinks.

I have the same problem with a place I used to rent planes from. Their policy is that over 70 you must be checked out twice a year. Over 75 you must fly with an instructor.
Needless to say, I do not fly with them any more-their loss.
I just joined the United Flying Octogenarians:D Plus, for my 80th birthday, I piloted (with an instructor) a P-51

I have the same problem with a place I used to rent planes from. Their policy is that over 70 you must be checked out twice a year. Over 75 you must fly with an instructor.
Needless to say, I do not fly with them any more-their loss.
I just joined the United Flying Octogenarians:D Plus, for my 80th birthday, I piloted (with an instructor) a P-51
My brother is a member of UFO's as well. Just recertified his private pilot's license at age 87.

On the flip side, I've been getting 'senior' ski tickets at Deer Valley since I was 57!

Got a tip to go to a local hotel and buy the ticket a day ahead. As someone told us: "To the kid selling tickets, anyone over 40 looks 'over sixty five' to him; he doesn't card you". IIRC, saves about $50 per day, which still won't cover lunch there, but.....

Last edited:
No gripes yet.

OTOH, DW & I get a kick out of asking for the Old Geezer discount at supermarkets, restaurants, thrift store, etc. If a business wants to cut the price for me just because of a number I won't stand in their way.

_B

Back
Top Bottom