Our school district just announced it would be 100% online in the fall.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Parties can be outdoors but if they're talking loudly face to face, just a foot or two apart, it may not matter.

Plus they may be going to these gatherings in the same cars or maybe getting together in small rooms before or after.

And since these were college kids there may have been a lot of hugging, kissing, etc etc.

Anyone want to hazard a guess as to how long it will take for classroom environments to be canceled and for all the colleges and public schools to go to some form of digital learning? How many days is your best guess?

Cheers!

Well I had predicted my college--UNC-- would make it 30 days but they only made it one week

Notre Dame’s 2 week timeline was to let the outbreak settle down. Now unless everyone is in quarantine for those two weeks, it’s just not going to happen.
The university is advising off-campus students not to visit the campus and on-campus students not to venture off-campus and is restricting student gatherings to 10 people or less. The university is allowing graduate student access to research laboratories and libraries. Athletic teams subject to surveillance testing can continue to gather for sanctioned activities, but will be closely monitored.

Last edited:
Anyone want to hazard a guess as to how long it will take for classroom environments to be canceled and for all the colleges and public schools to go to some form of digital learning? How many days is your best guess?

Cheers!

Two weeks max.

The schools in my county started Monday. Students had the option of FTF, streaming teacher, or virtual.

I substitute teach at the high school that is 2 blocks from the house. My coordinator texted me yesterday asking if I wanted to work. I asked her to email a copy of the school's COVID procedures so I would know what I had the authority to enforce. She checked with the Administration and I was directed to read the district reopening policy which contains one generic paragraph about students wearing masks if they are not distanced, wearing them when changing classes, wearing them on the bus and wearing them in the cafeteria.

I want to know if I can remove a student from class who is not wearing a mask or who is pulling it down and leaning over to a friend to talk or sliding her desk over next to her friend's desk. Are students required to sit down and stay there upon entering the room or wander around or stand in groups and gab? Will any PPE be provided? Are there staggered releases or are we going to fill the hallways? Can I open windows or leave the door open to encourage air circulation? How many students are they allowing in a classroom?

I'll try the sub coordinator at the the district office and see if additional guidance is available. Then a contact on the school board. The lack of written school-level, boots on the ground guidance is troubling.

Notre Dame’s 2 week timeline was to let the outbreak settle down. Now unless everyone is in quarantine for those two weeks, it’s just not going to happen.

Two weeks also conveniently gets them lower refund amounts if a student decides to withdraw when after the two weeks ND decides to continue online (assuming the student doesn't want to do that).

I guess it's pretty hopeless if even a small % of the student population insists on partying off campus.

I just feel bad for the staff, especially the professors who have to be in classrooms for long periods with these young people every day. That seems like a nightmare!

More on the University of North Carolina Chapel Hill situation. Local media is reporting on the number of UNC college students who have been hospitalized with Covid. Last Friday 25 students were admitted to the hospital out of 170 positive cases. Over the weekend "more" students were admitted to the hospital. I am hearing that a few of the students are very sick. I am amazed how quickly the virus spread and how quickly the students got sick. Very alarming.

If you set yourself up for a large exposure dose (by ignoring precautions, or even blatantly doing the opposite) I guess it can turn out bad for even quite young people. That 25 of 170 hospitalized is pretty shocking, and I assume all are 21 or younger?

If you set yourself up for a large exposure dose (by ignoring precautions, or even blatantly doing the opposite) I guess it can turn out bad for even quite young people. That 25 of 170 hospitalized is pretty shocking, and I assume all are 21 or younger?

What I am hearing is that the 25 plus hospitalized are all students--I assume in the 18-22 age bracket. I doubt if it includes any grad students. Not all of them are seriously ill but some are. The 25 hospitalized is from last Friday and the local paper said "more" have been admitted to the hospital since Friday.

UNC had set up an entire dorm for quarantining students ( I think 300 rooms). It is now completely full and students are being put in local hotels to quarantine.

As the student newspaper said this is *****.

It'll be interesting once there is a death at UNC. Who will the parents sue?

There is a partial solution to the college problem and that is to make social distancing etc a requirement on / off campus and part of the school honor code. They can do it like UVA where there are no second chances if you are guilty.
No social distance.....you're out. Don't like the honor code? Don't come.

Funny, now I remember that I was 17 when I started college. 18 was the legal drinking age at the time.

There is a partial solution to the college problem and that is to make social distancing etc a requirement on / off campus and part of the school honor code. They can do it like UVA where there are no second chances if you are guilty.
No social distance.....you're out. Don't like the honor code? Don't come.

UNC made every student sign a pledge to wear masks, social distance etc before they came to campus, enforceable as an honor code violation. Didn't work.

There is no way young adults will leave home, relocate to a college campus, and then not spend time in close quarters with their fellow students. It’s a biological non sequitur.

A COVID outbreak cannot be contained or prevented on a college campus IMO.

I'd like to think that as citizen I could at least draw valid conclusions about risks from the statistics reported. However, with all the caps on what can be reported depending on the state/jurisdiction and political pressure to downplay seriousness of infection, I've lost my faith in our institutions to tell the truth and use consistency in what is reported. Harllee's reporting is rather grim frankly, and I have no reason to doubt it.

DW's brother, late sixties with very serious asthma, lives in Carborro (next to Chapel Hill) and has not left the house since this started. Still working a demanding job from home (has no need to from what I can tell). We've been worried about him since his wife still has to get out and works. From these latest posts our concern is growing.

We have friends from FL who want to meet us three hours from here for two-three nights. DW was sort of arranging. I just now, with some raised voices, put the kibosh on it. Wasn't that excited about it anyway but just cannot see the risk trade off being worth it. Stay in hotel and eat out at several restaurants of unknown commitment to safety? eh, no thanks. I'll just be the heel.

The next dilemma will be the 3 and 5 yo grandkids. Live close by and are starting in person classes this week. How do you distance yourselves from grandkids?

There is no way young adults will leave home, relocate to a college campus, and then not spend time in close quarters with their fellow students. It’s a biological non sequitur.

A COVID outbreak cannot be contained or prevented in a college campus IMO.

I may be old but I well remember the attitudes and desires of college students. Short of something like Ebola and students seeing colleagues dropping with blood coming from various orifices their behaviors will not change.

A COVID outbreak cannot be contained or prevented on a college campus IMO.

I may be old but I well remember the attitudes and desires of college students. Short of something like Ebola and students seeing colleagues dropping with blood coming from various orifices their behaviors will not change.

Exactly!

I remember students running naked through the halls during the streaking craze.

I don’t think that wearing masks and staying at least 6’ from everyone is possible for college students.

It'll be interesting once there is a death at UNC. Who will the parents sue?

Supposedly a lot of private gatherings may have led to this cluster of infections.

Even if nobody dies, some of them may have longer-term issues requiring a lot of health care.

Monitoring if nothing else.

There was a study out from Germany that showed 78% of recovered patients, most of whom were not hospitalized, showed changes in the heart in scans, looking like they've had heart attacks.

I'd like to think that as citizen I could at least draw valid conclusions about risks from the statistics reported. However, with all the caps on what can be reported depending on the state/jurisdiction and political pressure to downplay seriousness of infection, I've lost my faith in our institutions to tell the truth and use consistency in what is reported. Harllee's reporting is rather grim frankly, and I have no reason to doubt it.

DW's brother, late sixties with very serious asthma, lives in Carborro (next to Chapel Hill) and has not left the house since this started. Still working a demanding job from home (has no need to from what I can tell). We've been worried about him since his wife still has to get out and works. From these latest posts our concern is growing.

We have friends from FL who want to meet us three hours from here for two-three nights. DW was sort of arranging. I just now, with some raised voices, put the kibosh on it. Wasn't that excited about it anyway but just cannot see the risk trade off being worth it. Stay in hotel and eat out at several restaurants of unknown commitment to safety? eh, no thanks. I'll just be the heel.

The next dilemma will be the 3 and 5 yo grandkids. Live close by and are starting in person classes this week. How do you distance yourselves from grandkids?

So your brother lives in Carrboro----Chapel Hill and Carrboro have grown together so it's like one town now. Carrboro is a neat kind of "hippie" town with lots of artsy types--it calls itself the "Paris of the South." With severe asthma your brother is smart to say home--especially with the student issue. Even though the students have to move out of the dorms there are still thousands in living off campus and many are in Carrboro.

We have gone to our mountain cabin until we feel safer in Chapel Hill. Is it possible for your brother to escape to somewhere safer like the NC mountains? We have a lot of tourists here not following the rules but the virus numbers are much lower and I feel much safer than in Chapel Hill right now.

I just can't believe how incredibly infectious Covid has been at the University of North Carolina. Granted I am sure some UNC students violated the rules and there were some parties, etc but many students did wear masks, social distanced and did not attend parties. Nonetheless, there are now about 500 positive cases at UNC (450 students and 50 staff) and most of them occurred in the last 2 weeks. One large high rise dorm (that has one or two beds per room with a bath--no shared hall bath) has over 100 cases so far out of about 1000 students. The positivity rate is running about 13%. I cannot find out how many students have been hospitalized with Covid but over 25 were hospitalized the first week of school. The University is now trying to test all students before they go home but it is a losing battle. What a terrible mess! It reminds me of the situation on the cruise ships back in March.

Wow, that’s terrible! I hope students are quarantining themselves upon return home. They certainly all need to be tested.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom