School me on schools

One proxy for how much importance parents place on education is the level of their own educational attainment. I'm afraid that the 86% of parents with less than a 4 yr degree at the neighborhood school may not have education at the top of their priority list for their kids.

Yes and no, IMHO. It may be that the parent's didn't have the opportunity or dropped out for other reasons (like Bill Gates who was the child of a teacher and a lawyer). There are a lot of parents who are technicians and are in jobs that require ongoing professional development. The core issue is what the parents value and their expectations for their children.

justin said:
I happen to be in a professor-parent rich school district. Definitely a plus. Big focus on academics and education. Looking back, tons of my friends in HS were children of professors at the local state U. Almost all very high-acheiving students.

Also came in handy to walk into class on the first day or into the dept. head's office and say "I'm good friends with your son/daughter!". Easier to meet-n-greet and get to know professors that way (especially when there are 499 other students in the class with you).

In my dilemma of mediocre neighborhood base school vs. excellent magnet school, I noticed the educational level of the parents were starkly different. 75% of magnet school parents have 4 year degrees, 25% have graduate/professional/advanced degrees. Contrast that with 14% of parents having 4 yr degrees and zero having graduate/professional/advanced degrees at the neighborhood base school. I bet a lot of the professors send their kids to the magnet school...

One proxy for how much importance parents place on education is the level of their own educational attainment. I'm afraid that the 86% of parents with less than a 4 yr degree at the neighborhood school may not have education at the top of their priority list for their kids.

Good god man just go to the local walmart and watch the way parents are around their children!

I will say this again the morons who mated and had children are well everyplace. That said yes it would be better to send your child to a good magnet school good private school or MOVE!

Back
Top Bottom