Outdoor Cameras

yes.
unless somebody changed it that is the SSID
The password may be there too.
do you use the wifi for your phone?

Yep Thanks skying!! Gotter up and running and I appreciate that help very much.

you are welcome, street. if all else failed you could call me. I have talked many people through complex network set ups.
I help friends set up the long range gear to get the network to their shops.
The ubiquiti M2 gear can extend a network up to 5 kilometers with Line of Sight (LOS).
I have yet to get a good long range application with one.
You might have some of those distances at your place.

Was gonna say make sure you are on 2.4GHz and not 5 on your phone when you try to connect. Posting this in case others have problems.

I know this subject has been brought up a few times but can someone help with a product of my need.

I'm looking for an outside camera for the back yard to monitor when we are not at home and for night.

Of course, with my frugal character I'm looking for a lower budget system.

I have Eufy doorbell cameras. Works great, stores events, and there's no monthly charge! Have one at home and at the cabin. They sell other cameras too besides doorbell ones.

One more question the Wyze camera. Is there a setting that will minimize the data used for the camera? I don't have unlimited internet option with my provider so I don't want to run continuously and just wondering if I can just read the card after removing it.

Do I have to use any internet time to use the camera??

You can change the camera from HD to SD (high definition down to standard definition) to minimize the amount data transmitted on your network.

I don’t use the subscription at all. If I want to look back at an event, I can do so on the app from the video recorded on the micro SD card. I’m really pleased with the Wyze camera.

I have 6 Wyze cameras covering my home in Ohio and 2 at our townhouse in Panama City Beach. Low cost and very reliable -- I'm happy with them!!

You can change the camera from HD to SD (high definition down to standard definition) to minimize the amount data transmitted on your network.

I don’t use the subscription at all. If I want to look back at an event, I can do so on the app from the video recorded on the micro SD card. I’m really pleased with the Wyze camera.

Yes, I can, and I have a third option and I choose it and the pictures seem fine so will use that definition for now. Thanks to all!!!

One more question that I really can't find an answer for. So, I got two SD cards for the two cams I bought. If I don't install cards what real difference is there is using the cam with or without??

One more question that I really can't find an answer for. So, I got two SD cards for the two cams I bought. If I don't install cards what real difference is there is using the cam with or without??

With the sd card installed you you can look back to see what was recorded earlier. Without the sd card, you can only view the cam in real time.

With the sd card installed you you can look back to see what was recorded earlier. Without the sd card, you can only view the cam in real time.

Well, that is what I thought because it would give the cam it's memory. Thanks for confirming that.

I do appreciate your time to answer my questions.

I put mine on constant record, so it records to the SD card even if no event happens.

This sounds silly, but sometimes the camera doesn't alert to an event or only alerts after a few seconds, or does the 5 minute timeout after an event (if no subscription).
Constant record captures everything, and I can see what happened even if the 5 minute timeout happened.

I put mine on constant record, so it records to the SD card even if no event happens.

This sounds silly, but sometimes the camera doesn't alert to an event or only alerts after a few seconds, or does the 5 minute timeout after an event (if no subscription).
Constant record captures everything, and I can see what happened even if the 5 minute timeout happened.

That is some great information. When I'm gone for periods of a time I will activate that setting.

Thank you again!!

How large is the card and how long before it over writes?

<edited this reply as was inaccurate>

Ok, I just checked my driveway camera.
It's a V3 model, without subscription, on continuous record.
For a 64 Gig SD card it is storing 5.5 days of video.

It does depend upon the quality setting.

It's enough time, if I get alerted to log in and save the video to my phone.

Last edited:
The camera supports up to a 256 GB microSD card, which holds roughly 2-3 days of playback recording.
It does depend upon the quality setting.

It's enough time, if I get alerted to log in and save the video to my phone.

Well, I have a 128GB card in mine (a Wyze Cam v3) and in practice today is May 28th and I can look back to May 16th. This is in HD, but I don’t record sound. YMMV

Well, I have a 128GB card in mine (a Wyze Cam v3) and in practice today is May 28th and I can look back to May 16th. This is in HD, but I don’t record sound. YMMV

My number may be wrong, as I didn't look at mine, I just took the value from the Wyze.com website (which you think would be right, but did seem short).

Do you have it on constant record or just record alerts ?
Are you paying for a subscription and seeing these dates on the phone ?
Just wondering about the factors.

My number may be wrong, as I didn't look at mine, I just took the value from the Wyze.com website (which you think would be right, but did seem short).

Do you have it on constant record or just record alerts ?
Are you paying for a subscription and seeing these dates on the phone ?
Just wondering about the factors.

I do have Cam Plus on that cam (not the others), so that probably explains the two weeks of video. I like the smart vehicle detection it provides and the fact that it doesn’t have motion detection delays. It’s $15.a year.

Ok, I just checked my driveway camera.
It's a V3 model, without subscription, on continuous record.
For a 64 Gig SD card it is storing 5.5 days of video.

So it's seems the FAQ was wrong, and I'm going to edit my earlier post.

Thanks. V2 does RTSP and I can get a container to convert the V3 stream to RTSP.
That way I can still work these with my linux server app.

And you can change these settings remotely through the Wyze app.
My cameras are set to record continuously.
Interesting story, a few months ago a friend's DD & DSIL were at his nearby cabin and needed antifreeze to winterize before leaving. He called and I told him I had some in the basement they were welcome to. A couple hours later I checked my cameras and they were inside our cabin. I used the speaker function to tell them where to find it. Funny to see their faces when I started talking to them.

You have talked me into a pair of v3 pans to play with in the yard here. We have some cool pheasants that tend to move away if you try and get a good picture, and these 1080P stills will be way better than the screened shots I am getting.

I installed ring cameras bought a three set from Costco or Amazon. Work well but changing batteries is a hassle. May go to solar charger option.

Thanks, COcheesehead! I know that was a brand name I heard of here before. I will check them out now.

So, I'm looking at one that jus plugs in to AC outlet. Is there a cost for the app for my phone or how does that work? Thanks You.

We have several Wyze cameras. Average cost is $39 depending on what version you get. AC outlet and Wi-Fi. The app is free and without a cloud subscription you get 12 sec videos. (You do need to buy an SD card for each camera for additional cost). Quality is great, IMO. Just grabbed the attached still photo.

IMG_4183.JPG

Another vote for Wyze... We didn't want to run wire, and have been very happy with the battery life (over a week with our settings). The options available for recording triggers, time, etc. are extensive. The modest annual service fee for full functionality is worth it for us. I was pleasantly surprised with the US based customer support when I needed to call during initial setup.

Back
Top Bottom