Over Exercising - how do we know?

It's a little over a year since my first heart surgery (stents), so I've had to cut back from what I used to do. But up to early February 2022, I would strive take one or 2 days off per month. I wasn't fanatic about that either way, and sometimes I'd do some sort of daily workout (run, swim, cycle, weights) for a full month. Once in a while, regardless, I'd get a general feeling of fatigue - that would be my signal to take a couple of rest days.

I'm sitting in my recliner icing my right knee as I type. I am 65 y/o who has always enjoyed working out and as an FYI my right knee has some osteoarthritis as well as my left from years of running marathons. To answer your question it is never one specific moment where I can say to myself that the injury just happened. I have done every popular routine that has come along, P90, P90X, Insanity, Turbo Jam, Crazy Jillian, you name it. I am currently a Caroline Girvan Junkie, by far the best personal trainer On YouTube. I have done every series she has come out with. I also use 375 Dance Studio for Cha Cha, Bolero, Cumbia, Salsa, and a dozen other dance styles. I generally warm up with 20 minutes of dancing followed by a 40ish minute of resistance and dumb-bell training and then cool off with another 20 minutes of dancing. I have a tendency to hurt the wrist, knees and back and eventually can identify how I did it if I look hard enough. This last injury was lingering and I ignored it, kept stressing the knee because of my insanity with exercise. It takes weeks to recover from these but I'm hard headed and can certainly empathize. All of my injuries have been either overuse of a joint or too heavy of a dumbbell. I can only attribute them to personal obsession with staying fit and ignoring clear signs of early discomfort because of vanity!

I can't say if the theory is correct, but my wearable's app uses the time it takes nighttime heart rate to normalize as an indication for when to ease-up. If the heart rate takes a majority of the night to drop to your normal low, it advises easing your work out. If the heart rate drops down right away, it says to hit it hard.

Recovery is not just how long it takes to get back to resting heart rate. If you are actively working your muscles to both build them or get stronger your workout should be pushing the muscles to a point of failure. That damages the muscle and signals the body to build new muscle and get stronger. Those are often the aches and pain we feel and why they don’t recommend working the same muscle groups every day and if you are hitting it hard to sometimes give the body a few days off, and do cardio instead

I am in the middle of a body reset… losing weight and fat, building muscle, definition and strength. I needed to lose 30 pounds and convert fat to muscle. I suppose if it was just losing fat and not building muscle I would have needed to lose 60 pounds. Still have 20 pounds to lose but 10 pounds of muscle to add! Why a retired guy with white hair wants to have big biceps and thighs and everything else? Simple it will keep me strong and vital as I age! Besides who doesn’t want to look good at the beach?

I am in the middle of a body reset… losing weight and fat, building muscle, definition and strength. I needed to lose 30 pounds and convert fat to muscle. I suppose if it was just losing fat and not building muscle I would have needed to lose 60 pounds. Still have 20 pounds to lose but 10 pounds of muscle to add! Why a retired guy with white hair wants to have big biceps and thighs and everything else? Simple it will keep me strong and vital as I age! Besides who doesn’t want to look good at the beach?
Increased muscle has so many benefits, especially for aging people. Muscle building should be mandatory.

I have some soreness everyday from exercising.
However, when I take 2 days off in a row due to rain, my hips are sore and sometimes other parts.

Back
Top Bottom