Paging Computer OS Experts and PC Tinkerers

Qs Laptop

Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
Target2019's Linux thread mentioned cleaning up old computers and components. Yesterday I started cleaning out a closet full of stuff and found a couple of hard drives from previous computers. I'm pretty sure they are from the Windows 3.1 era. They are 120GB and are marked Connor CP30104.

Is it possible to read these drives if they are mounted in a Win7 or Win10? Can they be mounted in a Win7 or Win10 machine?

Along these same lines I have a couple of WinXP machines I want to get rid of but before I do, I want to pull the hard drives from them. I'd also like to mount these in either a Win7 or Win10 machine and try to read them, possibly leave them installed as an archive hard drive. Is this possible?

I've built the Windows machines these drives would go in so I know I have the open bays and spare cabling to connect them, just want to know if it's possible to read these drives before I give it a trial-and-error method.

Last edited:
I’m not an expert but I think that if you have the cables and connectors you’ll be able to access the drives, assuming that the drives are still in working order.

Assuming you have the needed hardware, I believe it's a matter of if the target release has the correct device drivers for the disk. I'm not a windows expert.

I'm pretty certain the Connor CP30104 is not a SATA drive (I believe it is an IDE drive), and nearly all modern PCs connect to hard drives using a SATA port on the motherboard (SSDs are a different connector).

In order to utilize this drive, you're going to need an IDE expansion card to connect, but even then, I don't know whether your PC will allow for this specific expansion card.

At only 120 MB and given its age, I wonder if it is worth the trouble. Now, if you're trying to see if you can recover files from the drive, there are some docking stations that work with IDE drives and allow you to connect via USB. I've never used one, so I can't vouch for their effectiveness. Would be a temporary solution to read the drives.

https://www.amazon.com/Syba-SD-PEX50050-SATA-Ports-eSATA/dp/B008R7EWDE

EDIT: There appears to be an IDE-to-SATA adapter, but reading some of the posts, this appears to be iffy (IDE drive needs to be the master drive, etc.).

Last edited:
There are all kinds of IDE-SATA adapters and even IDE-USB for <=$10. I have no knowledge about them. Couldn't hurt to try. (or maybe it would hurt?) I personally would try the latter.

An adapter like this should work. https://www.amazon.com/Adapter-UNITEK-Universal-External-Support/dp/B01NAUIA6G

Since the IDE drive is 3.5", it will need the separate power supply included with the kit. There may be cheaper options available. I have an external IDE-USB adapter that has worked well. Windows 7 and Windows 10 should automount the drive as a removable drive, and automatically assign a drive letter so you can access it.

Almost certainly yes, but why? Buried treasure? If you don't even know what is on them, it seems unlikely that it is very valuable.

I would clamp them in my big vise to destroy the platters and then toss them.

You can buy an IDE to USB adapter on Ebay for under $10 with free shipping. Alternatively, if you have an old PC with CD or DVD ROM drive, those normally have IDE interfaces. You can disconnect the CD/DVD ROM and connect your hard drive (also connect the power supply. This is what I did to copy data from old drive onto a USB stick.

D'oh! Yes, 120MB makes more sense since it was from the mid-90's.

Given that information, I doubt there is much worth pulling off of them.

A hard drive from the mid-90's would make a good door stop. They usually are a bit heavier than the Sata drives of today :cool:.

You can buy an IDE to USB adapter on Ebay for under $10 with free shipping. Alternatively, if you have an old PC with CD or DVD ROM drive, those normally have IDE interfaces. You can disconnect the CD/DVD ROM and connect your hard drive (also connect the power supply. This is what I did to copy data from old drive onto a USB stick.

Nice trick. Thanks.

Leaving the Win3.1 drives aside, I presume I would be able to mount and read the drives from my XP machines without problems?

External Enclosure for SATA drives

Sabrent USB 3.0 to SATA External Hard Drive Lay-Flat Docking Station with Built-in Cooling Fan for 2.5 or 3.5in HDD, SSD [Support UASP and 6TB] (EC-DFFN)

:greetings10:

Sabrent USB 3.0 to SATA External Hard Drive Lay-Flat Docking Station with Built-in Cooling Fan for 2.5 or 3.5in HDD, SSD [Support UASP and 6TB] (EC-DFFN)

:greetings10:

Looks at pictures of the docking station...

<Slaps forehead>

One of my computer builds uses a Cooler Master CM 690 II case and it has a built-in SATA hard drive mount on the top of the case! I presume I can simply slide my WinXP era hard drives into that mount and access the contents.

Cooler-Master-CM-690-II.jpg

Cooler-Master-CM-690-II_2.jpg

Last edited:
Leaving the Win3.1 drives aside, I presume I would be able to mount and read the drives from my XP machines without problems?

Looks at pictures of the docking station...

<Slaps forehead>

One of my computer builds uses a Cooler Master CM 690 II case and it has a built-in SATA hard drive mount on the top of the case! I presume I can simply slide my WinXP era hard drives into that mount and access the contents. ....

Nice!

I'm not a Windows guy, so someone please come along and correct me if I'm wrong, but I would not think the OS version would have anything at all to do with getting the data off the drive. Pretty sure everything is backwards compatible for reading old formats. Well, within limits:

https://obsoletemedia.org/data/

1800s

Jacquard Loom card (1801 – 1990s)
1840s

Punched tape (1846 – 1980s)

-ERD50

Back
Top Bottom