Palindrome Dates

Our son’s birthday used to be a palindrome, then it wasn’t, but 30 years it was once again a palindrome.

Wanna guess how?

My last name is a palindrome. Then, we’re looking at a house (our current one) and the number is a palindrome. How cool is that? We had to by the house. :)

Our son’s birthday used to be a palindrome, then it wasn’t, but 30 years it was once again a palindrome.

Wanna guess how?

He moved to Jiddah and used the Hegira calendar?

Wanna guess how?

Oh because the UK dating order? (and yes I'm cheating because I know you were a UK expat and returnee, but many other regulars know that too.

so let's say he was born on 28-11-82
Then you moved to the US...becomes 11-28-82 (boring, no more palindrome)
then 30 years later he moves back home and ... ta-da! 28-11-82 again!

Oh because the UK dating order? (and yes I'm cheating because I know you were a UK expat and returnee, but many other regulars know that too.

so let's say he was born on 28-11-82
Then you moved to the US...becomes 11-28-82 (boring, no more palindrome)
then 30 years later he moves back home and ... ta-da! 28-11-82 again!

Exactly. I was sort of hoping an American would figure it out.

You even got his birthday right :flowers:

ETA
MichaelB also guessed it but PM’ed me, so he wins the virtual bottle of single malt.

Last edited:
Ah yes I should have PM'd to let others keep trying (but then again, many read a post and then answer without reading the thread!) That's my inner nerd, I was that kid who always blurted out the answers.

Technically I'm american, been here since before your son was born anyway.

Ah yes I should have PM'd to let others keep trying (but then again, many read a post and then answer without reading the thread!) That's my inner nerd, I was that kid who always blurted out the answers.

Technically I'm american, been here since before your son was born anyway.

Technically I’m American as well. :)

I thought like me you have dual nationality and have lots of relatives with British style birth dates.

I find the dates confusing as I'm bilingual datewise: American & non-American.

9-10-2019 is either Sept 10th, or 9th of Oct.

Folks raised in 1 system must find it easier to not even consider the other possible date.

Technically I’m American as well. :)

I thought like me you have dual nationality and have lots of relatives with British style birth dates.

I am dual, but not many relatives left. GP's on both sides have long passed, and M&D were only-children and brought me here. I only have to think about dates when I buy Bournvilles in the british section at publix.

My birthday is also a palindrome, at least on this side of the pond.

I've always enjoyed it when people have fun with numbers (and words).

A childhood friend once had the street number 2536 on his house, and always stated his address as "five squared, six squared." Most people just gave him a blank look at that, but it was great when they got it. :LOL:

Folks raised in 1 system must find it easier to not even consider the other possible date.

When I planned my first trip to Europe I had lots of 'fun' making hotel reservations and then remaking them to the correct date.

I finally started writing them as 8 October 2019. It's hard to mistake that
for 8/10/19.

I am dual, but not many relatives left. GP's on both sides have long passed, and M&D were only-children and brought me here. I only have to think about dates when I buy Bournvilles in the british section at publix.

Those Bournvilles aren't as good as they used to be either..loved them in 66 when we spent a year with my Mom's family in Battersea. Not too impressed with present day bars...not as tasty IMO.

We planned to retire Jan 1 2010 and spend more time with our 3 surviving parents, but one died in October 2009, another the week before Christmas and the final parent in May 2010. However we do still have 5 siblings in England and enjoy seeing plenty of them and their families. (My brother and his family moved to Australia in ‘94)

Both our kids are dual and our son surprised us by moving back a year after we did and lives close by.

Had a client who lived in France. She signed a tax return using the non-American dating format. The IRS sent is back with a note that it was treating this an a potential fraudulent filing. I sent in a new form, with a copy of the prior one with a note stating that the form was dated according to the custom of the expat country (it was an FBAR filing).:facepalm:

I'm unaffected, since I never know what day it is anyway.

Back
Top Bottom