Part-Time ER vs Part-Time OMY: a Perspective

yeah for sure I wouldn't ask for PT unless I was ready to be told "nope, so is that your 2 week notice then?", same as I would not recommend giving a long notice. You never know what the response may be.

I also think though, manager positions are more likely to have issues with part time. As an individual contributor, you have less folks dependent on you. I would not mention "i think i can do my job in 3 days" though, it might make is sound like you aren't working hard now.

yeah for sure I wouldn't ask for PT unless I was ready to be told "nope, so is that your 2 week notice then?", same as I would not recommend giving a long notice. You never know what the response may be.

I also think though, manager positions are more likely to have issues with part time. As an individual contributor, you have less folks dependent on you. I would not mention "i think i can do my job in 3 days" though, it might make is sound like you aren't working hard now.

Agree with everything said here.

I basically said that I needed to go PT on X date for family reasons and I hoped they could accommodate me, but if not, that was OK and left the ball in their court. Be sure you understand their policy on benefits though--I'm only able to receive HC benefits if I work 75% or more. I would much prefer to be at 50%, but the benefits make the additional time worth it for now.

I retired, expecting never to return. They wanted me back to help mentor the young'uns. So I did that for 2 days a week for 5 years, until we decided to move and I had to retire for real. Working part-time was the best thing I could have done, as we had a lot of unexpected expenses crop up during that time.

I also intended to leave for good but my boss made me a great offer with 1 day in the office and work from home time. I'm doing about 16 hours a week and have been for the past year. He offered a big bump in salary and I kept most of my benefits. It's working out very well and I may keep it up for a few years. The stress level went down considerably since I don't have to be there every day and I can check voice mail and emails at my convenience. So far so good. :dance:

Pre-ER, for a couple of months, I considered trying to set up a part time arrangement instead of full ER. It was probably just some insecurity on my part. In the end I completely cut the cord as I wanted the job demands to go to zero, not just be less. It was the right thing for me.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom