Part time work in retirement

Keep in mind, earned income allows you to contribute to a Roth.

Keep in mind, earned income allows you to contribute to a Roth.
This is a big part of my desire for part time work. I want to keep building the Roth and my normal sources of retirement income (Mil pension and VA disability) don't qualify for me to make Roth contributions.

Signed up to be a figure model at the University.
They said they'd be in touch if they do a semester on Surrealism.

Been doing tax consulting two days a week for the last month or so. Fully remote while I listen to talk radio in my pjs. It is mostly writing some tax research memos and crunching numbers.

It has pinched my busy schedule of doing whatever I want, but I couldn't pass it up at $150/hour on a W2 and the extra cushion given the horrible stock market and that i just retired 1/1/22.

Retired in June and eligible to work (pension requirements) in January.

I didn’t retire because I disliked the work or the quantity (I was working a 50% contract). I retired because dh and I wanted to travel and I couldn’t take a week or so off every month.

I have three offers to do some work come January. I will still be able to attend water aerobics from 9-10 and do the travel I want. I won’t make quite as much as when I was working on a contract, but I’ll take lower pay for flexibility.

As someone else mentioned, I appreciate earning a bit so I can avoid withdrawing anything from my retirement accounts.

I had recently taken a 4 month Sabbatical, with the intention of retiring at the end(I was guaranteed my job back). But with the stock market down, I thought I would try to get a 50% role for 50% pay. My boss was good with it, but HR repeatedly said no. This is for IT Program/Project Management. So I negotiated a "Graceful Exit", which pays me all my bonuses, severance, and several other perks.

I have an Indeed search that emails me every day with anything part time and fully remote in the US.

My dad is 82 and is able to sell the Stripers he catches for enough money to pay his expenses. And he only does it during the commercial season, which is 3 days a week for a month or two in the summer. He would be doing it anyways, and of course the money makes the fishing tales even more interesting!

I really don't want to do any work, but I like to have some money. Is there a way to do that?

I really don't want to do any work, but I like to have some money. Is there a way to do that?

Why yes, there actually is. Freebies, discounts, credit card churning, bank bonuses, reward programs, bank bonuses, free music and event passes from the library, senior discounts, rush tickets, Reddit beer money activities, contests, seat filler tickets, and optimizing expenses (how to live better for less) can all help the budget without having to have an actual job with an employer and set hours. Last month I made almost $1K in freebies and discounts. On the optimization front, this year's projects are eliminating the lawn and monthly energy bills, which should save quite a bit over the remainder of our retirement. I guess they do all require some work, but it isn't really work if you find it fun.

Last edited:
What’s credit card churning?
That sounds like a job I could get behind.

Starting next week as a UPS Personal Vehicle Driver. Six full-time weeks delivering packages using my own car. Twenty three bucks an hour plus $0.625 per mile. I've definitely been feeling the need to stay busier during the winter months (post-golf season here in CT) and this is my first gig after six years of retirement. This will get me through the end of the year, then I'll have to figure it out from there. I'm interested to see how I feel after six weeks of "staying busy" (aka "obligation").

What’s credit card churning?
That sounds like a job I could get behind.

Opening and closing credit cards for the reward points which you can use for travel or gift cards. Then the advanced players do manufactured spending, which is dreaming up ways to make charges to your cards for points, without actually buying things. Like some will buy gift cards for the credit card points, then sell the gift cards, and try to get the math to work out. There are forums and a sub Reddit devoted just to churning.

I stopped working over 13 years ago. In that time, I have done a very small amount of cat sitting. That work has tapered off though, and I have not sought any more. I occasionally think that if just the right opportunity fell into my lap, I might go for it. Thing is, my criteria are very narrow. It would have to be doing something I really want to do, at a fairly high rate of pay, and it wouldn't have to be too hard. Oh - and I could do it when I wanted to, and wouldn't have to do it when I didn't want to. Realistically, gigs like that either don't exist, or they are not going to come my way without me trying hard to get them.

What it really comes down to, if I'm being honest, is that I like doing what I want to do, when I want to do it, and paid employment doesn't fit in with that!

Last edited:
What it really comes down to, if I'm being honest, is that I like doing what I want to do, when I want to do it, and paid employment doesn't fit in with that!

Same!
I really do not like having my time structured.
I wouldn’t mind volunteering except then they would want me in a particular place at a particular time. I know I wouldn’t last long.
After years of high stress I really just enjoy doing what I want.

I’m looking into credit card churning though!
I actually opened a cc earlier this year for the sole purpose of putting a large purchase on it and getting the points rewards.
I have another large purchase I’m planning to make and just found another points deal.
I have the cash for the purchase so there’s little risk.
I never had the time or energy for this when I worked. [emoji23]

Last edited:
Same!
I really do not like having my time structured.
I wouldn’t mind volunteering except then they would want me in a particular place at a particular time. I know I wouldn’t last long.
After years of high stress I really just enjoy doing what I want.

I’m looking into credit card churning though!
I actually opened a cc earlier this year for the sole purpose of putting a large purchase on it and getting the points rewards.
I have another large purchase I’m planning to make and just found another points deal.
I have the cash for the purchase so there’s little risk.
I never had the time or energy for this when I worked. [emoji23]

I am always on the look out for ideas to live well with low overhead and little easy ways to make extra money. I sign up for all sorts of newsletters and rewards programs and many days something interesting pops up. Today it was Apple TV free for 2 months. The other day Safeway had a buy $10 in groceries get $10 free, plus some other coupons. Yesterday there was a free lunch offer at a local restaurant plus live music by one of our favorite local bands for vets. The day before it was a buy one meal get one free at DH's favorite restaurant. Last night I won a $10 Target gift card. Earlier in the week we saw a play with free tickets from a seat filler membership. I also ordered museum tickets from the library for free that otherwise would have cost $88. The week before I had tickets for a concert that would have cost $100 but were $14 for vets. Tomorrow I have free tickets from a newsletter offer for a foodie event in the city that would have cost $50.

On Reddit today I saw a link for Mark Cuban's new prescription drug program. The drug store price, even with insurance was $25 vs $9 for MC's site. That will really add up over the years since it is a recurring savings.

I don't really want to be at a job with set hours, either, but I like finding all of these little deals and contests. The savings over a month really add up and I get my little dopamine rush from the thrill of the hunt. It is like a little online treasure hunt every day.

I am always on the look out for ideas to live well with low overhead and little easy ways to make extra money. I sign up for all sorts of newsletters and rewards programs and many days something interesting pops up. Today it was Apple TV free for 2 months. The other day Safeway had a buy $10 in groceries get $10 free, plus some other coupons. Yesterday there was a free lunch offer at a local restaurant plus live music by one of our favorite local bands for vets. The day before it was a buy one meal get one free at DH's favorite restaurant. Last night I won a $10 Target gift card. Earlier in the week we saw a play with free tickets from a seat filler membership. I also ordered museum tickets from the library for free that otherwise would have cost $88. The week before I had tickets for a concert that would have cost $100 but were $14 for vets. Tomorrow I have free tickets from a newsletter offer for a foodie event in the city that would have cost $50.

On Reddit today I saw a link for Mark Cuban's new prescription drug program. The drug store price, even with insurance was $25 vs $9 for MC's site. That will really add up over the years since it is a recurring savings.

I don't really want to be at a job with set hours, either, but I like finding all of these little deals and contests. The savings over a month really add up and I get my little dopamine rush from the thrill of the hunt. It is like a little online treasure hunt every day.

I love it. Please continue to post more finds.

I love it. Please continue to post more finds.

These are some of the latest arrivals to my bargain email box or Facebook feed: $10 a month prepaid, cell phone plan from T-Mobile we will probably switch to as that is half the price of our current Consumer Cellular plan with similar options.

Other discounts we have or may use: Redbox half off coupon, free lunch for vets at a brew house, $10 off $30 in gift cards for a restaurant we get carry out from pretty often anyway, and 10% off two Target orders for vets.

Free chamber orchestra concert at U.C. Berkeley ($10 donation suggested). We started going to a college events in retirement. Many are quite professional and good value entertainment. For example, U.C. Berkeley has quite a few events open to the public each month, like free noon concerts, symphony orchestra concerts for $20 a ticket for seniors, and free astronomy nights with lectures followed by star gazing at their roof-top observatory.

Last edited:
My ratio of work to performing isn't that extreme, but we don't really count rehearsals as "work". We get together a couple times a month and run through part of our set list and learn a few new songs. I'm in a band with friends so it's kind of like boys night out. We rehearse in my basement and everything is set up. Show up at 7:00, plug in and jam for 3 hours.

Gigs are where the work is though. If we start playing at 9:00 then we meet at my place at 7:00, tear down the PA and drums, move everything to the venue, and then set it up and do a sound check. Then we play from 9:00 to say 12:00. Then we have to tear everything down and transport it back to my place and set it back up, by the time we are done it's 2:00. So playing three 45 minute sets really took 7 hours.

Used to gig a lot many years ago. When I feel like playing out again I head to local pub and watch the band set up while I have dinner, listen to the first set then think, naw staying out to 2:00 does not sound like that much fun and head home by 9:00.

I'm still working however so maybe I will change but not thinking so.

Have to admit part of the appeal to play again is the equipment is half the weight it used to be.

Playing somthing solo low key like a brew house maybe fun too but it would not like playing on a stage in a 4 piece. Always wanted to play with a full horn section, now that would fun, for awhile anyway.

I would like to find something part time, but it is not easy to do. I was a hedge fund CFO in my past life, and people look at my resume and ask why would I want to do this job now?

I would like to find something part time, but it is not easy to do. I was a hedge fund CFO in my past life, and people look at my resume and ask why would I want to do this job now?

I founded and ran a multi million dollar business for 24 years. I now sell wine. :LOL:

A friend of mine was a highly compensated financial pro. He now wears shorts to work and sells boats part time in Florida.

I have a few more updates from my savings from my newsletter sign ups, Facebook specials, rewards programs, etc. But I will post the details going forward in the cheapwad finds thread soon where it is a better fit. My tally for the first half of November is $334.

You can always dumb down your resume and only list relevant experience to the "easy" job. If I want a "menial" job, I'm only listing my moonlighting "menial" experience. I'd even list high school college jobs without dates if it showed relevant experience. Ideally I'll talk to the owner prior to applying, I won't work anywhere with middle management and if the owner doesn't get me I probably don't want to work for him/her.

My criteria keeps getting more strict as I am spoiled with my freedom but I do enjoy the bike tours (friends' company) and hope to do more as they grow the business.

I have only one bona fide deal breaker as I seek part time work in retirement.

I will NEVER write a performance evaluation on a human being again. NEVER

Back
Top Bottom