Part time work in retirement

Frank took a part time job doing sound and lighting for musical acts at a local bar. It didn't pay much, but it didn't take much time and it was something he always wanted to try. After decades of engineering work, he loved hanging out with the creative types like musicians. After doing it for several years, it wasn't as much fun so he quit.

As for me, I have not wanted a job in retirement.

Frank took a part time job doing sound and lighting for musical acts at a local bar. It didn't pay much, but it didn't take much time and it was something he always wanted to try. After decades of engineering work, he loved hanging out with the creative types like musicians. After doing it for several years, it wasn't as much fun so he quit.

As for me, I have not wanted a job in retirement.

I gig occasionally but any more than once every 6 or 8 weeks and it starts feeling like a job. The playing aspect of it is fun, but the teardown and moving of gear sucks.

Reactions: W2R
I live in World Golf Village. Work as a starter/ranger at the golf course one or two days a week. Get free golf at two great courses. Discount on lessons at the pga school. Enjoy meeting golfers from all over. We have a good bunch of retired guys doing the same gig.

I gig occasionally but any more than once every 6 or 8 weeks and it starts feeling like a job. The playing aspect of it is fun, but the teardown and moving of gear sucks.

Ah yes. DW and I met a musician down in Akumal MX a few years ago who had retired and moved there a few months earlier. He had battled somewhat with boredom so he took on some gigs to help pass the time. I talked to him a few weeks ago and he told me he was done with the PT gigs and had fully embraced the full-on retirement lifestyle about a year ago. He said that the 80% work and 20% performing got old pretty quick.

Ah yes. DW and I met a musician down in Akumal MX a few years ago who had retired and moved there a few months earlier. He had battled somewhat with boredom so he took on some gigs to help pass the time. I talked to him a few weeks ago and he told me he was done with the PT gigs and had fully embraced the full-on retirement lifestyle about a year ago. He said that the 80% work and 20% performing got old pretty quick.

My ratio of work to performing isn't that extreme, but we don't really count rehearsals as "work". We get together a couple times a month and run through part of our set list and learn a few new songs. I'm in a band with friends so it's kind of like boys night out. We rehearse in my basement and everything is set up. Show up at 7:00, plug in and jam for 3 hours.

Gigs are where the work is though. If we start playing at 9:00 then we meet at my place at 7:00, tear down the PA and drums, move everything to the venue, and then set it up and do a sound check. Then we play from 9:00 to say 12:00. Then we have to tear everything down and transport it back to my place and set it back up, by the time we are done it's 2:00. So playing three 45 minute sets really took 7 hours.

Substitute Teaching is rewarding and flexible

My wife and I substitute teach. We have for the last 5 years. Pay is getting a lot better as demand is high. Working with kids is very rewarding - connecting with the young makes you feel (a bit) that way too. Long term "gigs" are also always an option as there are a lot of paternity / maternity leaves so then you are in charge of the whole classroom! A lot more work, but also a lot more reward. Very flexible schedule too - pick your schools and when you want to work in most cases.

Anybody pick up a part time gig for stimulation and a few extra bucks after FIRE ?

I dont really need the money but when Im at work Im not spending money. Looking for ideas on low stress, dare I even say "fun" part time job in retirement

I started pet sitting a little bit. The only problem is that good pet sitters are hard to find and I am under pressure to do more than I want to. I get my steps in walking dogs and I get to cuddle with dogs and cats. I also signed up to be a poll worker in the upcoming election and have already been asked to work the next election.

Last edited:
Doing some Engineering consulting very part-time performing Q/A testing on construction materials. Primarily testing various blends/sizes of rock, sand and gravel for conformance with industry and customer specification and doing asphalt concrete mix designs.

Usually lots of lead-time for the work that needs to be done and I control my own schedule. I enjoy the work as it brings me right back to the early years of my construction engineering career when work was actually fun.

Making an extra $30k a year on this part-time post-retirement gig.

One of my retirement gigs was not really a job, but the financial return was high. I undertook a major renovation of my home, at least a $60k job had I hired it out was done for about $18k. Savings of $40k. It took me several months, but I didn't work at it every day. It probably would have taken 10 or so weeks had I worked 8 hour days 5 days a week. I did hire out rough-in plumbing and drywall mudding which I didn't feel like doing.

So I "made" $40k doing the work myself, $4k a week, $800 a day tax free. I would not have undertaken such a large project had I still been working.

Slow flip

About three years into ER (and after a divorce), I bought a fixer upper house to live in and remodel. After 18 months, I’m finishing the last room, the master bath. I put about $35k of materials into the house and should net out about another $50k for my labor once I decide to sell it. I work at it about 4 days weekly about 5-6 hours each. I hired a friend to handle the electrical but did most everything else myself. Thoroughly enjoy it.

Next up I plan to be owner/ builder on a new home. I’m in permitting right now. I’ll hire tradespeople for most of the work and expect to save about $40k-$50k over the year by acting as the general and doing some of the minor work myself.

I’ve been laughing that I’m no longer sure I’m retired or am I just self employed at stuff I want to do. Who cares!

I work about 10-12 hours a week for my son's heating and cooling business. I started doing this right after I retired from my big job. I really enjoy working with him and I have learned a lot of new things. I am able to do almost all of my work from home and I like that too. I will have to decide when to stop this side gig but so far so good.
This is great. My dad retired 6 years ago but he has helped me build out my Arborist business the past 2 years. I told him I didn't need him but he keeps showing up so I keep paying him.

This is interesting. Is it a volunteer opportunity, or does the standardized patient get paid?

Where I live, Standardized Patient jobs are hard to get. They do get paid. It is in a Medical School, but most that are hired have acting experience. I tried for years to get one...then gave up that pipe dream....I'd be good at it!!

After Mega booted my sorry ass out in 2005, I decided I was FIRE'd and have never, ever, not once, done anything outside of home to earn/save money. I do try to keep on top of investments and maintain my house and cars myself as much as I can handle.

When a buddy calls and asks if we want to join him and his DW camping and fishing for a few days next week, I never want to say no because I have job commitments.

This is just me. Mega rode me long and hard and I'm done!

Volunteer vs pd gigs

I volunteer with several first responder/emergency management groups, of which one turned into a contracted pt (no benefits) .

I second another posted thoughts- volunteering with FD, Red Cross, Emergency Mgt. Medical Reserve Cops, Team Rubicon USA and hospitals is a great way to stay active, learn and make new friends.

Retirement is under rated!

By the time I pay Federal and State taxes, plus FICA and SDI, it is not worth my time.
Even the 22% Federal bracket makes part time jobs at under $20 an hour rather unattractive.

It would have to be something I really want to do.

I still teach a bit and do some consulting but turned down a gig that was offered last week as it gotten to feel to be to much like w@#k.

Even the 22% Federal bracket makes part time jobs at under $20 an hour rather unattractive.

It would have to be something I really want to do.

I make about $45 an hour (wage+bonus+commission) working at a winery. Having a ball doing it. With a little knowledge of taxes, we are able to keep ourselves in the 12% bracket, though our actual cash income is close to $160,000 annually - mostly from muni bonds. The ACA even continues to give us tax credits at that level too.

I make about $45 an hour (wage+bonus+commission) working at a winery. Having a ball doing it. With a little knowledge of taxes, we are able to keep ourselves in the 12% bracket, though our actual cash income is close to $160,000 annually - mostly from muni bonds.
My wife has a well paid part-time gig with the company she retired from. As for the rest, a pension plus almost all retirement savings as pre-tax doesn't leave us much maneuvering room. In any case, my Roth conversions would fill the 12% bracket for us.

A month ago I closed from my private psychology practice. There are very few pain psychologists in the country, so I am continuing with my pain coaching and life coaching as a side gig for 10-15 hours/month. It allows me to continue the best part of my career at an easy, comfortable pace from anywhere in the world. Coaching will allow me to snowbird in Costa Rica, (which my state psychology license won’t allow.) In fact, I’ll be doing some coaching here from Costa Rica this week while in vacation. Mid day is too hot to be out in the sun, so why not help people and earn some money?

The bike tour company I work for just signed a lease on a physical location that should make the set up much easier as there will be no transportation of bikes necessary and hopefully a fuller schedule so I can conduct a few more tours... I think 8/mo would be my sweet spot (far below that now). This year has been pretty sporadic and going too long between tours I feel like I get rusty and don't meet my standards -though the customers have all had a great time.

I make about $45 an hour (wage+bonus+commission) working at a winery. Having a ball doing it. With a little knowledge of taxes, we are able to keep ourselves in the 12% bracket, though our actual cash income is close to $160,000 annually - mostly from muni bonds. The ACA even continues to give us tax credits at that level too.
Are you doing tastings? That looks fun. (Until the bachlorette party bus rolls in)

Are you doing tastings? That looks fun. (Until the bachlorette party bus rolls in)

Yes, I work in the tasting room. We will get an occasional bachelorette party in. They are usually well behaved. They tend to buy bottles, laugh and take pictures. They are easy.
The tough ones are when you get family reunions in. Half want sweet wine, which we do not make, a quarter are serious about tasting, the other quarter are already loaded and just want heavy pours. Tips are good though.

I'm back to full-time work after having been retired from age 51 to 58. I don't need the money but I've never had any long-term hobby interests. Not working was very nice for a number of years but I found it problematic not having a purpose of some sort. It is nice investing my entire salary especially during this lull in the market. The job is not difficult and the people I work with work well together. I've been in this job for one year and sometimes the early mornings come too early :). I don't know how long I will continue working but for now it seems right.

Back
Top Bottom