Patato, Patatoe, Gimme a Brake

CuppaJoe

Moderator Emeritus
Several posters here put "The Pursuit of Happyness" on the list of the worst movies they’ve ever seen. Hey, I liked that movie what with its shallow analysis of bad spelling as a fact of life as well as a contest.

There has been some recent pounding here about bad spelling. What are your pet peeves and what do you really think about Tori Speling?

What jumps out at me most often are words like "definitely" that to my Mid-Western ears sound like they should contain and "a" or another "e" instead of an "i" decreed by the spelling gods. You don’t need Freud to figure out that my mis-use of "break" when I meant "brake" reveals a focus on buying an infinite break from w*rk rather than a new set of wheels.

Last edited:
. What are your pet peeves and what do you really think about Tori Speling?

/quote]

I'd have to say my pet peeve is how the other topics thread is becoming a political ranting arena. What happened to fun subjects ? I also liked " The Pusuit of Happiness " and I think Tori Spelling only has a job because of her father .

There has been some recent pounding here about bad spelling. What are your pet peeves?

Using "your" when you mean "you're." Foks with tech backgrounds seem especially prone to do this.

Heres my advise: Definately view all posts as a work in process. The reason is because, irregardless of hind sight, each person is very unique.

I'm an American - AND I lived 30 yrs in New Orleans learning to talk rite:

Spelling! I don't need no stinking spelling!

:D

heh heh heh - Now I have to out and make groceries. ;)

Heres my advise: Definately view all posts as a work in process. The reason is because, irregardless of hind sight, each person is very unique.

Al, this triggers the nitemares of an old pet peeve: megacorp had a rubber stamp: "For preliminary discussion purposes only; not for publication in the official records." A committee of three was given the task of revising the wording. Pretty soon the stamp was so big it needed an additional page. And I would spend days hunting down the holder of the official seal that tied up and bound the revised binders. There really was such a guy but every time they re-organized, he got lost. "you are lost and gone forever, oh, my darling binder guy."

Tori can spit if she wishes. Potato or spud - I hate Tators. A young 2 or 3 yr old (Anthony) a great grandson of a friend is nicknamed Tator.

Don't axe me or else I'll told ya. Axe(New Orleans) for ask drove me up the wall when I lived there.

heh heh heh - How's yer Momma and Dem. YAT - where are you at at?

Tori can spit if she wishes. Potato or spud - I hate Tators. A young 2 or 3 yr old (Anthony) a great grandson of a friend is nicknamed Tator.

eeeyu, Mega mega pet peeve. That name must be contagious, I know one too. People are calling their off-spring "tator tots." Tatum is going around too, that's the female version of spud.

We call my neice Spud. Her real name is Katherine. Kate. Kater potater. Spud.

One of our cats is Fishy. Was Ghost Face, mispronounced as Goat Face, Goatina, Tina, Tina Tuna, Tuna Maru, Fishy cat.

Never did learn why my Dad called my little brother Dave Ralph though....

How about excesive use of smileys ?One is okay but multiple smileys in a post especially the animated ones remind me of prepubescent text messages .

I got enough pet peeves to open a petting zoo!

-ERD50

I don’t keep pet peaves. And with all due respect (which is a pet peave of mine, since it’s typically used as a preamble meaning “I don’t think you are due the respect that you may think you are due and am about to say something that will make that obvious”), I question not only the practicality but also the morality of domesticating peaves and keeping them in the home. I’ll stick to free-range organic peaves.

Smile icons: I see their utility but for some reason they grate when used too much (which in my opinion is just a hair more than “very sparingly.”) Literate speakers of English should be able to write and read in ways that convey or recognize a wide range of tones without smileys (or is it smilies?). On the other hand, they are quick (but unattractive and imprecise) shortcuts to defuse (not to be confused with diffuse) the aggravation of mistakenly taking a jest seriously.

Loose: when the writer means “lose.”

Irregardless: regardless of its common usage it has an illiterate ring to it.

“I could care a less” or “I could care less”: The correct phrase is “I couldn’t care less” meaning “I care so little that it’s not possible for me to care less.” Saying “I could care less” about something logically means that I do care about it (perhaps very much) and that it is possible for me to care less.

Incredulous: when the writer means “incredible”

Infer and imply: when people get the meanings transposed.

And with all due respect, irregardless of never having heard you speak, just from how some of you people write, I can imply that your pronunciation of certain words is incredulously bad. I can hear you now saying “weapons cache” as if it were “weapon’s cachet.” Sure, folks may not loose your meaning, and most could care less, but it ain’t right.

You say nirvana, I say nibbana. Let’s mindfully call the whole thing off.

Back
Top Bottom