PayPal scams I've never experienced before

statsman

Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
A couple of days ago, I received two emails from PayPal indicating I had two invoices requesting payment from separate individuals. I logged directly into PayPal and, sure enough, there were two invoices for roughly $899 each.

No clue what prompted them, but I find it annoying after 20+ years of using PayPal (mostly for eBay in the beginning for DW), we are now getting random invoices requesting money.

I cancelled the invoice requests within PayPal and indicated to PayPal that I believed these were scams. Two more emails I received today were through PayPal with these two individuals cancelling the invoices (or maybe PayPal did it).

It would be most annoying if PayPal went to these two individuals and asked if they made a mistake, giving them a chance to cancel the invoices. As if that's going to stop them from doing this nonsense.

Two invoices, from two individuals, for the same high amount, a few minutes apart. Yeah, these were legit! :mad:

I got similar money request from an unknown individual and later withdrawn (seemed to be by the individual, but don't know). Also 20+ years PayPal with mostly ebay transactions and not much activities in the past 10 years or so. Maybe this is the pattern scammers are looking to fish on...

Seems like a variation on the old scam of send invoices to companies, and some get paid as the person paying has no idea what various managers/employees/boss(s) ordered.
So if it looks legit it gets paid.

I've been getting these on occasion for at least a year now. Fortunately, most go to spam. The rest I ignore.

I got a suspicious email about a PayPal invoice just the other day. The sender was "vbng cvbgh" and the email began with this generic nonsense:

Hey Customer, ...
Your amount has been deducted
Your subscription has been renewed
Invoice has been attached

And, of course, there was a phone number to call "right away if you do not recognize this payment." :LOL:

Back
Top Bottom